back to article US and Romania dredge up 38 phishing suspects

Police in the US and Romania have charged 38 members of a suspected phishing gang. The group reportedly organised the theft of online banking credentials using both email and text message lures. One phase of the attack involved the distribution of 1.3m fraudulent text messages that posed as communiques from a prospective mark' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AC
    Alien

ah phishing

does crack me up when people fall for it.

2. Jamie
    Linux

Big companies???

Big companies never send out emails to people. Unless you are rich with your own personal advisor at a bank you will never receive a text or email from them. and by rich I don't mean a measly million or 2 in the bank, you would be looking at at least 9 digits.

It is like the Nigeria scam, people fall for it cause they are greedy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jamie...

Nonsense - my bank emails me all the time. Granted the spelling or the grammar is not very good, and the links that I try to use inside the mail usually do not work but at least they are trying, yes? I'm just happy that they are so concerned about my security, and that they keep updating it all the time.

Can't be too careful, you know...

4. Stephen Gray

@ Jamie

Err what are you talking about mate, how is it "greedy" to respond to what appears to be an email from your bank requesting confirmation of login details? Granted only a fuckwit would get caught out but that's not greed, perhaps you don't really understand the term "phishing" please see any good search engine for the answer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Companies send out loads of mail

Amazon, ebay, and just about anywhere you buy anything from will send marketing mails to you if you choose.

email marketing is huge and banks do it all the time - if you opt in.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

They managed to make fake bank cards? I'm presuming that they didn't manage to generate the magstripe/chip, just a bit of plastic that looked like the card (with the raised numbers) even the holograms seem unlikely...

7. Charles Manning

Fake bank cards

Very few places are using chips yet. The mag stripe thing is easy to write (you can buy mag strip writers quite easily).

You don't need pretty pictures and holograms to fool an ATM.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Phishing.....

...a tax on the stupid, payable to the resourceful.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like