back to article ROAD TRIP! An FCC road trip – Leahy demands net neutrality debate across US

One of the most powerful men in the US Senate has asked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to tour all of the United States of America to hear citizens' views, face to face, on net neutrality. Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy said in a letter to chairman Tom Wheeler that the FCC's decision to hold public debates on its …

1. elDog

Go VT!

As a Vermonter I am proud of our our representative congress-critters. For those non-US readers, Vermont gets two senators (Bernie Sanders and Patrick Leahy) and only one house member due to our tiny size (Peter Welch). They are three examples of people that are trying to do a good job for their constituents as well as for their country (and I hope the world.)

We're not that well covered with broadband options, and in some places still not covered at all. Where we do have something above 1Mpbs (wired) it is almost only a single carrier (Comcast on cable or Fairpoint DSL.) There is no realistic competition here. Our mountain ranges make good cellular connections iffy.

Allowing an already de-facto monopoly to limit bandwidth without review or recourse seems, ahem, un-American. That said of course with a wry smirk.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Go VT!

As a Vermonter I am proud of our our representative congress-critters.

As well you should be. If only the rest of us had representatives of their caliber.

2. Someone Else Silver badge
    Big Brother

Communications watchdog the FCC is in the middle of deciding the fate of trying to figure out how to allow Big Mejia to gouge users more, and still have the public think they (the FCC) favor net neutrality [...]

There. Fixed it for ya.

3. Tom 35

Wheeler is just going to do what his bosses tell him to do.

1. phil dude
      FAIL

yes and...

shame he's not coming to the South, and see how real corruption is done.

I live not even 1/4 mile from a massive state university and 1 mile from downtown. My only options are AT&T (no freestanding, you must buy AT&T $38/mth!!!! for a LAND LINE!!!!) or Comcast (minimum $38/mth...you get the idea).

I, like many, have no need for a TV.

The stitch up is within the county that encloses the city. Some providers are FORBIDDEN from competing in this city, but only the surrounding county. So the area where everyone lives, has no competition...

and yet 100 miles away there is gigabit in the city and rural...!

Google fiber cannot arrive fast enough, but I suspect they are fighting massive lobbying by the incumbents everywhere they go...

P.

4. Mark 85

Leahy has it right....

"Most of them will not be able to come to Washington to participate in the roundtables that have been scheduled, but their voices are more important than industry lobbyists and members of Congress."

It's a pity that the lobbyists will win since they own too many Congress Critters in addition to Wheeler. Maybe the oft quoted Shakespearism needs to be re-written to: "First we kill all the lobbyists..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Leahy has it right....

Nah....since most of them are probably members of the Bar, they'd still be in the first group against the wall.

5. Identity
    Pirate

One has to be careful

Years ago, the FCC held such a meeting Boston. Comcast paid people to come off the street and sleep in the seats so there would be vastly limited room for those who wanted to discuss the issue. Just having the meetings isn't enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like