back to article Beware of Greeks bearing spammy small omicrons, says Google

A week after switching on non-Eurocentric character support in Gmail, Google has announced that it's working to get its spam filters working in the new world. Last week, the Chocolate Factory flipped the switch on non-Latin character support. That gives it a brand-new spam-catching issue to address, as it explains in this blog …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep

Took me a while to see what the difference on the MyBank example was, so I suppose there's a decent risk of being caught out. That said, it would require going against the "never click on a link in a bank (or any site requiring login details) email" for most to be sucked in.

2. Ho Ho Hipster

G ဝ ဝ g l e

No more G ဝ ဝ g l e D ဝ ဝ d l e s ?

3. frank ly

My favourite website (mybonk.com) has been taken offline. Is this related?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stab at classically-based joke

"Greek small omicron " - there's a Greek small small "O" ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: stab at classically-based joke

While you get an upvote for being a smart arse, are you aware that Greeks still speak Greek?

1. breakfast Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: stab at classically-based joke

I work with a Greek guy and he speaks English, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

5. David Cantrell

The Unicode consortium's permitted combinations of character sets are a bit odd. Their "highly restrictive" level will ban identifiers that mix Latin and Arabic or Latin and Hebrew or ... well, you get my drift, while explicitly permitting Latin and far eastern scripts. That's just weird. It's fairly common to see text in random scripts with Latin numerals embedded in them.

And in the "moderately restrictive" level they single out the combinations of Latin + Cyrillic and Latin + Greek, which would ban things like Αθήνα2004 or Со́чи2014.

I know why they're doing it, but they're still going to end up hitting an awful lot of legitimate addresses and domains with this.

1. The First Dave

WTF is a "Latin Numeral" ?

Are you talking about Roman Numerals (MMXCVII etc.)

or so-called "Arabic Numerals" (which actually originated in India)?

or possibly actual arabic numerals?

6. Robin Bradshaw

Use .co.uk to reduce your phishing risk :)

I cant think of a sensible way to prevent this other than maybe an option to have all non-ascii characters printed as inverted so it screams scammy url, thats the best i could come up with.

I just checked and llοydsbank.com ( xn--llydsbank-r1g.com ) and nаtwest.com ( xn--ntwest-3nf.com ) both appear to be available, the other uk banks i checked, Barclays and Santander appear to use a .co.uk domain which seems sensible since nominet doesn't support internationalised domain names.

1. James 100

Re: Use .co.uk to reduce your phishing risk :)

"Barclays and Santander appear to use a .co.uk domain which seems sensible since nominet doesn't support internationalised domain names."

You mean their *official* site is on co.uk - that doesn't stop people falling for phishing from imposters resembling bàrclays.com, barclaycàrd.com etc!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like