back to article WinPhone's Halo hottie Cortana to hit desktop in next Windows – report

Microsoft may be planning to graduate Windows Phone 8.1's Halo-inspired Cortana digital assistant from the small screen to a full-fledged desktop utility in the next version of Windows, if the Redmond rumor mill is to be believed. The snoops over at Neowin.com first noticed Cortana running on prerelease builds of Windows " …

1. Charles Manning

Most frequent request

"Cortana, please ask Google [insert question here]"

1. LucreLout
      Facepalm

Re: Most frequent request

"Cortana, please ask Google to find naked images of Cortana"

Sad, but almost certain to be true.

2. Phoenix50

Re: Most frequent request

What utter tripe.

2. PleebSmash
    Childcatcher

It looks like you're...

Clippy with boobs.

1. graham_

Re: It looks like you're...

"It looks like you're searching for naughty pics, do you want to continue privately?"

3. Arctic fox
    Windows

I think the author is being a touch mischievous.

A computer that you can talk to? I don't think that even Cupertino could get away with any litigation over that. "Dave, Dave, why are you suing me?"

4. Exit Stage Right

Prior Art

Sorry but any patents based on anything I have already seen on TV (StarTrek/DrWho/Blakes7/Babylon5/FireFly/...) or read in a SciFi book should be considered to have prior art. To be patented, shouldn't it be a novel idea; not an idea plucked from a novel?

Also couldn't Cortana be seen as the next evolution of the much 'luved' Clippy...

1. Charles Manning

Re: Prior Art

It's not just the vague idea, it is actually the method for making the thing work that is patentable.

Sure we have holographic transporter portals in scifi novels, but if you actually made one that worked then you'd be able to patent that.

Voice recognition has been around as bot an idea and as algorithms for a while now, however you could still come up with a new improved way to do VR and that could be patentable.

1. Eddy Ito

Even Siri is a relative newcomer and is one of many spin-offs of a Darpa project called CALO going back over a decade. Another implementation that is Siri's senior is SILVIA so it really has to be dependent on the implementation.

1. Denarius
          Meh

And this would stop lawyer unleashing because ? Do not consider Patent Law as having anything to do with justice, let alone logic. Aside from this minor quibble, given M$ history, will Cortana be the next iteration of Bob and Clippy ?

I think a usable voice interface is the next Big Thing in UI, but throat mikes and decent noise cancelling ear buds are needed first. Voice control could be a decent argument for work at home offices though.

2. breakfast Silver badge
        Boffin

In sane countries it is the method for making things work that gets patented. From what I can tell in the US you do just patent an idea, a thought or something you dreamed about and then you can go sue-crazy on anyone who actually implements something remotely like it even though the patent contains no detailed design information at all.

2. Michael Habel

Sorry but any patents based on anything I have already seen on TV (StarTrek/DrWho/Blakes7/Babylon5/FireFly/...) or read in a SciFi book should be considered to have prior art. To be patented, shouldn't it be a novel idea; not an idea plucked from a novel?

Does that mean that Douglas Adams owns the Internet.... *cough*... The Terrestrial Hitchhikers Guide... The standard Depository of all Earthly knowledge, and wisdom?

1. LucreLout

"The standard Depository of all Earthly knowledge, and wisdom?"

Wisdom? On the internet? Not likely - its rammed to the rafters with grot and cat videos. Wisdom, not so much.

2. Chemist

"The standard Depository of all Earthly knowledge, and wisdom?"

Sorry that's just a sub-set. The guide entries were likely a homage to Asimov's Encyclopedia Galactica from the Foundation Trilogy ( that ended up as ~6 books too).

I think somewhere in HHGG it even mentions Encyclopedia Galactica - something like " ... in parts of the galaxy the HHGG has even replaced the Encyclopedia Galactica as the main source of knowledge"

5. wolfetone Silver badge

"Cortana, can you Google how to make a cake?"

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

6. Michael Habel

To Hell with Cortana I want a Clippy AI.... to pop-up and go: "It say looks like you're trying to call your Mother!"... As well as the standard "It looks like you're writing a SMS!" This is how you do Digital Assistant AIs correctly!

1. LucreLout

"It looks like you're drunk and trying to call your ex-girlfriend. Are you sure you want to do that?"

Maybe this could be useful after all....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Just like clippy...

This biatch will be one of the first things that is going to be turned OFF !

8. davidp231
    FAIL

Then they deliver a massive kick in the teeth to the global users that might actually use the service and MS put some shitty nobody as the voice "for your region", because "that's the accent you have", and changing the speech settings just breaks Cortana until restored. While the US users (and those willing to use US settings for everything), get the proper experience. If the WP release is anything to go by.

1. Phoenix50

... Are you really that bothered what voice they use?

Really??

1. Law

I'd rather have the US voice, to be honest. Its more familiar, and I bet they'll rip out all in-jokes too when regionalising it.

2. davidp231

The product is called Cortana. Which infers that the voice will be the same as Cortana from Halo, as that's where the idea came from. Any other voice would just be misrepresentation of goods, which in the EU (and the UK especially), has the potential to open many cans of worms. The UK voice over on WP is some (so far) anonymous posh totty, because that's the accent America deems as "British". Ergo, it's not Cortana, so should be called "MS Digital Assistant".

Compare: If they called the product Jarvis, which is more well known due to Ironman, you would expect the correct voice, and not some random person they pulled in off the street, or some celebrity nobody has heard of. The above argument would still apply.

True, the service can be turned off, but why bother in the first place if 80% of the population will turn it off?

9. msknight

Someone remind me...

...but didn't Cortana turn out to be evil in the original Halo?

1. LucreLout

Re: Someone remind me...

Sure, but bad girls were always more fun back when I were young and the internet were all fields.

10. MJI Silver badge
    Linux

I suppose Linux will get.......

Pingu!

Apple can have Paul MacCartny or Ringo Starr, but younger people would wonder why Thomas is on it.

If Sony added anything similar to their consoles it would be a little red demon.

I hope people get the last few links.

11. MJI Silver badge

Am I the only one.....

Who keeps reading it as Cortina?

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: Am I the only one.....

No. You are not.

2. launcap Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Am I the only one.....

>Who keeps reading it as Cortina?

No - and I suspect it's be as reliable as my old, much hacked-around(*) Cortina Mk 3.

(*) 2 litre-block fitted but still using the 1.6 carbs/manifolds. Nuts replaced at random with metric or Whitworth almost-fits. Split pins replaced by nails hammered through and then bent round. Fuel tank 'fixed' with bathroom sealant. Floor with some additional ventilation holes that made driving in the wet a soggy experience (and contributed to the interesting aroma inside). A coolant pump that regularly fell off, even when using araldite or locktite on the bolt threads. Finally sold for scrap for more money than I paid for it. Icon because that's mostly what it did - except when my Dad was towing me and had to brake sharply when a moron pulled out in front of him. His disk-brakes worked superbly. My (non-vacuum-assisted-because-no-engine-power) brakes didn't. Opps.

12. keith_w

Can't you use Nuance's Dragon talk as an interface to any search engine? If so, then there is plenty of Prior art to blow Cupertino's patents out of the water.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cross licensing

Apple and Microsoft have a fairly extensive patent cross licensing deal which would probably cover this, even if Apple wanted to try to enforce this.

Besides, Microsoft has prior art in the form of Microsoft Bob, though if they were sued they might prefer to pay up rather than admit to it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like