back to article Brown goes YouTube

Two cheers for Gordon Brown! In the interests of putting some sparkle back into his dour premiership – sorry, “engage the wider public” – the Prime Minister is launching an online version of Prime Minister’s Questions. On Youtube. If you want to “Ask Gordon”, just upload your question on videoclip to the Downing Street YouTube …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Slaine
    Black Helicopters

the Prime Minister is breaking down

as I read about this event elsewhere this morning I noticed that Nodrog was NOT promising to answer anything, merely stating that the wider population should have an opportunity to pose questions.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Classic Register Base

"Brown goes YouTube

There goes the neighbourhood"

11 out of 10 for the Title and Sub Title, John. :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Meaningless Publicity Stunt

The purpose of PMQs is to ensure accountability. While there are some planted questions, he must be briefed to answer questions on anything which is current. This is A Good Thing. Indeed, one of the first abuses of Parliament perpetrated by the Dear Leader in 1997 was to have PMQs only once a week instead of twice.

However "responding to questions from the public via YouTube" really means having his flunkies carefully hand pick a sample of questions to which he can respond with some uplifting on-message response. I'm sure whoever thought this up will get a knighthood.

4. Steve

Why all the analogue hate?

I'm fed up of everything "digital" automatically being newer and better.

Digital cameras - the best have analogue, optical lenses

Guitar amps - the best often have a vacuum tube pre-amp and a digital power amp.

All of human biology is digital and that's been around for ages.

I want to see if any of these politicians could actually define the word "digital". My mum swore blind that she was getting a digital TV from the neighbour - eventually she admitted that she had no idea what it meant but it must be a "digital TV" because the neighbour got it at the same time as getting Sky Digital.

D'oh!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Youtube?

Why the fuck would anyone actually want governmental proceedings officially using Youtube? The service is crap compared to something like iPlayer and as we can be reasonable sure that voter apathy will continue its current trend we can safely assume that the bandwidth requirements will be minimal.

Additionally if it is in the power of the speaker of the house to have historical and relevant material stricken from the historical record (see the recent Hansard controversies) then it ought to be easy enough for them to require youtube.gov.uk to censor/bleep out the "offending" article. Naturally I would expect the encrypted archive copy to remain unaltered. Perhaps even have a crossbench committee tasked to deciding on whether or not the censorship should take place. The service doesn't even have to be live (although it would be nice since there seems to be no problem with the BBC running live commons) to alleviate that problem.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Must not be downloadable?

Are we in the 19th century?

There was this thing called a V.I.D.E.O recorooorder that allows you to "save" the magic picture box.

Now you can V.I.D.E.O to your Compuuuteeeer and change the magic pictures so they can go onto the world wide internet box. You can even make the people on the magic box, have funny voices if you want.

7. Steven Raith

I have a question for Gordon

When are you getting the fuck out and letting someone capable of making a decision without dithering over it for six weeks step up to the post?

Oh, sorry - just to remain on topic - yeah, it's crap. Any questions that do make it to this video thingy will end up having all the political gravitas of the odd occasions when MPs go on Blue Peter/Newsround.

Steven Raith

8. Graham Marsden
    Stop

@Meaningless Publicity Stunt

> The purpose of PMQs is to ensure accountability

That may, once, have been the purpose of PMQs, but now it has turned into a Political Pantomime with the Opposition chorusing "Oh yes you did" with the Government responding "Oh no we didn't" followed by "But *you* did XYZ" where XYZ is usually barely relevant to the original question asked.

As for David Cameron, he had a site where you could "Ask David" which turned into "David will answer whatever questions he damn well likes" and, not long after, was merged completely into the Tory Party website and the opportunity to "Ask David" was lost.

So I don't see much kudos for him in all this and I have little doubt that Brown will follow the same path.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Stop politicians from playing with technology

Why do the higher powers let Politicians make fools of themselves with these transparent media stunts?

Politicians have no understanding of the technological world and to be honest I don't want them to, stay away from computers politicians and stick to what you're good at (whatever that is).

http://www.doeswhat.com/2008/05/19/dont-mix-politics-and-technology/

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

You got a reference for the John Carter gaffe?

Just so amusing, can't believe I can't find any other reference to it.

Paris. No reason.

11. amanfromMars Silver badge

IPTV BetaTesting of Individual Ideas/Gathered Thoughts

YouTube is Next Generation Tele Vision with Unlimited Global Channels. Identifiable Source of Raw Imagination. ...... with the Best Ideas always IntelAIgently Designed to Garner Broad Band Spectrum Support for Third Party Participation Providing all necessary Hardware Infrastructure Virtually as Proxy Servers of New Content on Supported Message.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh god...

It's the Big Conversation (remember that?) meets Web 2.0.

Could be worse - imagine meeting Hazel Blears in Second Life.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Peter

'I'm glad you asked me that, Me'

'...I noticed that Nodrog was NOT promising to answer anything, merely stating that the wider population should have an opportunity to pose questions.'

Ahhh, there we have it. More listening. No actual hearing. And certainly no blooming answering, unless it's to very carefully vetted questions from doubtless seeded questioners. Just like, as pointed out, DC.

But big up to Dear Lead...er... follower for waiting long enough to ensure something is safe to emerge from the bunker when the rest of the world has moved on to deal with more pressing issues.

15. Guga

Wrong URL

Maggie Broon's URL is as follows:

http://www.jibjab.com/sendables/share_view/yofy8QtQoKNnINDxpPyse0i4

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like