back to article GCHQ recruits spotty teens – for upcoming Hack Idol

The GCHQ-backed Cyber Security Challenge UK is bringing cybersecurity education to UK schoolkids aged from 12 to 18 with the importation of the US-created Cyber Patriot programme. The US Air Force Association ​CyberPatriot youth programme involves as battle of wits in cyberspace involving 1,500 international teams of under-18s …

1. Knoydart
    Black Helicopters

Start tracking them young

I guess any team that shows significant skill, even outside of the qualifying group will be tracked by GCHQ for the rest of their days. Probably a cheap way of identifying those with the skill set to wage a cyber war early on in life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Start tracking them young

" Probably a cheap way of identifying those with the skill set to wage a cyber war early on in life."

Well they might find a few, but if they're any good why would they want endure the drudgery of life as a civil servant?

I worked on defence computing as a civil servant (before we parted ways as mutually incompatible), and the civil service is enough to drive you mad, with its penchant for inaction, bureaucracy and sloth, coupled with a tolerance of incompetence and waste.

I suppose if these youngster join GCHQ then they might get the chance of an exciting secondment to MI6....on second thoughts maybe that's not such a good idea.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Start tracking them young

Well it doesn't matter if they _want_ to do it. Because of information asymmetry they can simply be blackmailed into such positions.

This is why the Chaos Computer Club heavily advises against any sort of such cooperation. There simply is no way you can win in such a situation.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Preemptive Strike

The competition consists of two rounds ...downloading a virtual computer image full of vulnerabilities that could present opportunities for a cyber criminal. The teams have ...to identify and fix these vulnerabilities.

No, changing the OS is not an option (because it is the very first thing I thought of).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a child to a car mechanic ....

I learned very early not to let anyone know I could pick locks ....

4. psychonaut

"the vase majority"

yet more chinese hackers?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "the vase majority"

You seem to be jaded about this?

2. Bloakey1

Re: "the vase majority"

Imagine all that bandwidth, they could download and view lots of ming <sic>.

5. big_D Silver badge

VM

Step 1. download the VM

Step 2. start the VM

It is Windows XP,

Step 3. reformat and install Linux or BSD*

* as it does not require the teams to purchase additional licences or pirate.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Linux

Re: VM

>It is Windows XP,

is it any version of Windows?

FIFY

6. WibbleMe

I think the best method of secure information in WWII Black Phantom Letter Courier. Its common sense don't keep nuke codes and spooks details on an internet enabled device.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

funny someone mentioned wages...

anyone with the skill should just do it themselves and sell it to the highest bidder.

Like existing professional do. A few million becomes loose change when they grow up.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Do you want an Eagle with your Freedoms?

"US-created Cyber Patriot programme."

Everyone abandon thread!

9. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

I would hope the real test ...

is to permanently bar anyone thick enough to download an alleged VM image from "the security services" from having any say in IT ever again.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a trap

Everyone knows Windows XP is secure by design.

11. Mike Lewis

See foot, shoot

Teaching a lot of teenagers how to break into computers. What could go wrong?

12. strum

GCHQ

One of these bright young chaps could be the Edward Snowden of the future.

Be careful what you wish for, GCHQ.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: GCHQ

Let's hope so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like