back to article Microsoft slides out second HPC Windows 2008 beta

Microsoft quietly snuck out a second beta of its high performance computing (HPC) Windows 2008 server product on Saturday. Beta 2 of its high-end cluster operating system follows the release of the software giant’s first beta for Windows HPC Server 2008 last November. Microsoft said it has tested over 1000 nodes on a cluster …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Thornton

Hmm

Considering they can't even seem to get "low-power" computing right, I can't imagine there's going to be a queue of people lining up to get their hands on this.

(Unless of course they negotiate some kind of new Windows tax with server hardware.)

2. Jack Harrer
    Thumb Down

And...

...the price for it is? Including lock-in tax, please...

3. Victor

isn't it the other way around?

>Microsoft said it has tested over 1000 nodes on a cluster, fixed more than 1000 bugs, made numerous design tweaks and coded in a bucketload of new features.

I believe the order should be:

1) made numerous design tweaks

2) coded in a bucketload of new features

3) tested over 1000 nodes on a cluster

4) fixed more than 1000 bugs

otherwise the new code will introduce new bugs. Anyway, this is Micro$oft we are talking about.

Come to think of it, 1000 bugs seems waay to low.

No icon because I don't have anything witty to say about any of them.

4. tony trolle
    Thumb Up

HPC

OHHhhhh I thought this was the one that was nice to 'play' with to run desktop-wise to replace XP. Hacked Program Cheat ?

5. Tuomo Stauffer
    Pirate

MS and HPC?

Doesn't fit to the same page today - HPC is something else, be it high computing power or processing huge amounts of data. With their huge resources MS could handle it but no real results yet? 1000 clusters - who cares, old news, what are results? Same, more, less, ?? than old Cray or Big Blue, or mainframe clusters, or what?? High performance is a little confusing term, used to describe too many things, but it definitely is not how many systems you can connect but what is the result - anything else is just marketing - maybe good for (some?) management but not real.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pigs

hungry pigs don't go sniffing for truffles - they schnuffle for them.

That's why they're called Schuffle Hogs.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

silly

Quote: "Microsoft said it has tested over 1000 nodes on a cluster, fixed more than 1000 bugs, made numerous design tweaks and coded in a bucketload of new features." End Quote

So the problem would be running 1000 nodes then. HAHAHA

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

pong

I heard it comes with Pong!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE:HPC

Well, better than me. I thought it was another version of Windows Mobile.

Paris, cause she'd throw one at a maid.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

bug fixing

The article said Microsoft "has tested over 1000 nodes on a cluster, fixed more than 1000 bugs"

OK. Doing a bit of Microsoft math now. In Softie-speak that means they fixed one bug that was replicated in each node, so 1 bug over 1000 nodes = 1000 bugs fixed. Now, if I put that in Excel 2007 I get 65535 bugs fixed, or something like that.

Victor, 1000 bugs is not too low. The other 1000000+ bugs will be used by marketing as a reason for you to upgrade to HPC2009 Home Edition, HPC2009 Business, HPC2009 Ultimate etc etc.

/Mines the expensively bloated MS High Performance Coat (MS-HPC) with the Spot watch on the wrist, the 'I Love Bob' patch on the arm and the Vista look and feel. Yes, it's heavy and slows me down but it looks good, doesn't it?

11. Geoff Mackenzie

I'd like to buy ...

... 1000 Windows 2008 Server licenses please.

How much?

Screw it, I'll stick with Beowulf.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like