back to article Network hijacker steals $83,000 in Bitcoin ... and enough Dogecoin for a cup of coffee

Researchers at Dell's SecureWorks Counter Threat Unit (CTU) have identified an exploit that can be used to steal cryptocurrency from mining pools – and they claim that at least one unknown miscreant has already used the technique to pilfer tens of thousands of dollars in digital cash. The heist was achieved by using bogus …

1. Ole Juul

Win some - lose some

Disappointing for the losers, but the mining business has always been like this. The old gold miners used to say that for every dollar taken out, a dollar is put in.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Surprisingly sohpisticated

This really is a surprisingly sophisticated attack. Even if your "cloud" on Amazon or whever appears to all be on a single LAN, using ssh, ssl, etc. ubiquitously really is a good idea these days.

3. razorfishsl

Something I pointed out several months ago, when I stated that it would only cost a few thousand to hit the BTC network with a 51% attack….

But some idiot stated "you need 51% of the network to commit BTC fraud… no one can afford to get equipment to generate 51%"

Simples… just attack the routing on the mining pools…. glad someone was listening…

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've looked through your comments to find out what it is you said and I can not find any matching comment.

If you claimed that it would only cost a few thousand to hit it with a 51% attack then you were wrong.

As for "just attack the routing" you will fail. If you had read and understood the article you would read this bit: "This requirement ensures malicious networks cannot hijack traffic without human intervention from a legitimate network." In other words you have to have legitimate access to the routers to hijack the traffic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The error was in 3 places.

1) no client-server authentication. (As article states)

2) security in ISP hosting the attack.

3) security on peer isp, which should have had the policies in place not to accept invalid route advertisements.

3 doesnt apply if both the original and breach servers were in the same ISP. I don't think many ISPs do protective policies within their iBGP.

4. asdf
    Trollface

>he lost around 8,000 Dogecoins ... be worth $1.53 in today's real-world dollars.

So I take it Dogecoins are the pesos of the crypto currency world?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

I guess that medieval Venice just hasn't got the wealth and clout it used to have.....

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a former employee was able to compromise a router using an old password"

It is frightening to realise that networks are too complicated to have a proper password renewal scheme that has any relevance.

I've worked in companies that force employees to change password every month. I can only imagine the chaos that such a measure would create in an ISP. Unfortunately, whereas in a private company I do not see the use of such measures, in an ISP there is a definite use case for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "a former employee was able to compromise a router using an old password"

Any decent network uses Tacacs or similar. Turn access off for depating employees with one click.

Further, secure ISPs now choose to enable change access only through a change process, no change authorised without permission...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stealing dogecoins

that's a bitch

7. Vincent Ballard

Miners still out of luck?

I don't understand the comment in the final paragraph that miners just need to enable TLS. Surely that doesn't guarantee that their packets get to the right place: merely that they drop the connection to the hijackers? So once the "tick" ends, their proof of work is still unsubmitted, and the result is that the Bitcoin remains unmined? Or have I misunderstood how mining works?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Miners still out of luck?

The difference being that they would notice if they could not connect to the server for 4 months, rather than continue to generate money for the attacker.

8. Suricou Raven

Not just bitcoin has value.

Litecoin has enough to be traded too, and you can buy stuff with it at bitroad. Mostly overpriced computer accessories. It's not as established as bitcoin though, and anything less established than litecoin is really just a novelty, or a laughing stock.

1. squigbobble

Re: Not just bitcoin has value.

"...or a laughing stock"

Or, as they're known in cryptocurrency forums, shitcoins.

9. Alistair
    Unhappy

authenticate -> Taccacs or SSH keys.

Use real, controlled, managed authentication or get booted off the network.

BGP is ugly. Without security around those devices using BGP, disastrous.

Sad that the hijack points into Canada.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such BS

"Cryptocurrency miners, on the other hand, have an even easier solution available: they can require their mining pool servers to use Secure Socket Layer (SSL)"

Getting a SSL cert from the dozen browser approved CAs is way easier than to hijack BGP. And BGP routers go years without a firmware upgrade, so it's very likely that we'll see these kind of attacks again in future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like