back to article Hey guys. We've got 1.2 BILLION stolen accounts here. Send us your passwords, 'cos safety

The backlash is growing against the infosec firm that claimed it had uncovered a Russia-based gang's stash of 1.2 billion nicked website passwords. Hold Security claimed the gang was hoarding over a one billion unique stolen usernames and passwords, siphoned off from insecure websites vulnerable to SQL injection and other …

1. James 100

Correction ...

"Actually only 10,000 stolen passwords so far ... enter all of yours below, tell all your friends and we'll hit the 1.2bn mark in no time!"

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

600 million of those are "password123"

1. dan1980

Password123

If someone's using 123 at the end, it's likely to fill complexity requirements, so a capital will round that out.

3. Number6

Moving on to my next website...

Any site that wants me to give it the password to another of my accounts and I close the window. I guess I could give it a made-up password just to confuse things.

4. Midnight

Wait, I think I saw this web page before...

"To find out if your account has been compromised, just enter your login and password below."

This sounds perfectly legit. I don't see any reason why not to do that...

*click click click* *submit*

"It has been now. Thank you and have a nice day."

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Now if we could just get Gopnik Doge in there somehow...

Such engineering. Much social. Wow.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold Security was leveraging its claimed discovery

I think you mean "Hold Security was using its claimed discovery"

Pretentious twat.

1. dan1980

Re: Hold Security was leveraging its claimed discovery

@AC

Are you actually calling the author a 'pretentious twat'? May I suggest that the next time such a sentiment overcomes you, you instead use the time to close your Register account.

Now, the use of 'leverage' as a verb is questionable, though rather common and the ubiquity of the word can distract people from the fact that leverage is a verb (lever) turned into a noun.

You lever (v) something to create leverage (n), just as you marry (v) someone to create marriage (n). When you dote, the result is dotage, when you store, there is storage and when you pwn, there is pwnage.*

'Leverage', when used as a verb, is a taking a verb (lever), turning in into a noun (leverage) and then using that noun as a verb.

That aside, I am firmly in the descriptive camp when it comes to grammar and the simple fact is that 'leverage' is used as a noun and even recognised as such by the OED. In this I think it is correct as, while a verb already exists ('lever'), it is not necessarily adequate for this task.

When using the verb 'lever', you apply it to the object you are moving. With 'leverage', used as a verb, it is applied to the object you are using to do the levering - the counter weight essentially. Thus, using the existing verb (lever) doesn't convey the same sense and the sentence becomes ugly if you try. Even then, it is likely to be confusing.

Looking at it this way, it is similar to the verb 'commentate'. One might say that a commentator comments but most people would agree that to do so would lose some of the information contained in the word 'commentate'. I can comment on the football last night but that is not the same as someone who was commentating.

We should never forget that the purpose of grammar is to phrase our thoughts clearly in a way that can be understood. When given a choice between clarity and grammatical correctness, erring on the side of clarity is generally the better option.

BUT, all grammar questions aside, and dealing with whether this instance of the word is 'pretentious' or not, we have to ask if the simple verb 'use' would convey the same idea as efficiently.

So let's look at it.

The common usage and understanding of the verb 'leverage' is to make use of a relatively small quantity of resources to obtain a larger quantity of resources, just as one does when operating a lever. In this sense, you can't simply replace 'leverage' with 'use' without loosing some of the meaning or needing to add extra data to the sentence.

This is because, although 'leverage' is very much a buzzword and frequently used indiscriminately, 'use' is very generic. Unlike the more specific verb 'leverage' (or 'lever'), it conveys no information about why or how you are using something. This is because 'leveraging' is, essentially, a method for 'using' one thing to accomplish another thing, with the implication that the method allows someone to get more back than is put in.

* - Not all -age words are exclusively nouns, of course, and it all depends on the origins of the word in question. For leverage, the origin the verb (not noun) 'lever'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Let me be clear on this. By without loosing some of the meaning you mean, say, introducing a certain vagueness, indistinctivizing it?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@dan1980

Are you trying to say "pretentious twat"?

"leverage" as a verb still makes the user sound like an idiot.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Leaked code?

(Note, I'm a bit rusty on my PHP)

<html><body>

<?php if (!(isset($_POST['username']) && isset($_POST['password']) && isset($_POST['email']) )) { ?>

<form method="post'>

<p>Enter your log-in details to see if your credentials have been stolen</p>

Email: <input type="text" name="email" />

Username: <input type="text" name="username" />

Password: <input type="password" name="password" />

<input type="submit" value="Check Now" />

</form>

<?php } else { ?>

<p>They have now!</p>

<?php } ?>

</body></html>

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

How is that supposed to work ?

They're asking for my password so that they can check if they need my encrypted password to find out if it has been compromised, is that really it ? And I have to pay for the privilege ?

Do they really think I'm that stupid ?

9. Allan George Dyer

Why didn't they...

Ask the users to enter their email address and send a message to that address saying either:

We have no matching records

or

We have matching records:

i) list the services they relate to

ii) include the hashes so the use can check which passwords themselves

(i) assumes they know which services the stash was stolen from

(ii) might need another validation step to prevent new criminals using it to harvest hashes. But they would need to compromise the target's email address first so not very efficient, and it shouldn't be a problem if the hashes are strong and salted. The other problem is enabling users to check the hashes in the privacy of their own computer.

Even just telling someone, "we have matching records, change your passwords now" is useful and preferable to training users to enter passwords into unrelated sites.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(checks Lastpass)

255 sites stored, 255 unique passwords.

All sites with Heartbleed vulnerability had password changed twice.

*This* is why taking on the small, controllable risk of using a password manager far outweighs the risks of not using one.

What is more annoying is of the 255 sites, I probably only use 50. The other 205 were saved when I had to register to buy, or use a forum....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused?

So they ask for your password(s) to your account(s) and encrypt them on the fly.

How do they then compare them to the stolen credentials?

They would have to know the encryption method (and salt) the site that leaked the password used to compare. If they are saying they are all plain text passwords that have been leaked then they would have to decrypt the provided password to compare.

Huge risk as outlined but others but also making themselves a huge target as they will have some very vaulable data.

Wonder where they stand legally on holding stolen goods?

To be honest they sound worse criminals than the supposed russian hackers

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Confused?

[T]hey sound worse criminals than the supposed russian hackers

I believe you are confusing incompetence with malicious intent.

12. Anonymoist Cowyard
    FAIL

Security companies are less than honest shocker.

Did people only just work this out? THey have been peddling snakeoil for years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon