back to article Amazon 'adware' laden Ubuntu passes ICO's data smell test

The Amazon "shopping suggestions" feature built into Ubuntu desktops does not violate consumer protections under European and UK privacy law. That’s according to the Information Commissioner following a complaint lodged by a Ubuntu blogger over Ubuntu’s controversial Shopping Lens. Introduced in Ubuntu 12.10, the Amazon Lens …

1. Ross K Silver badge
    Devil

Filthy Lucre

How much money was this enhancement supposed to bring in for Canonical?

I'm assuming there was some financial benefit for them?

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Filthy Lucre

They have to pay for the Canonical Air Farce* somehow. Aviation fuel isn't free.

* The largest private air force on Earth.

1. Ross K Silver badge

You have to wonder how viable Canonical would be if it wasn't being backed by a multi-millionaire.

I did try to answer my own question btw - I cant find any info on their revenue from the Amazon hookup. Weird.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
          Windows

"I did try to answer my own question btw - I cant find any info on their revenue from the Amazon hookup. Weird."

Yes, they keep the numbers really quiet generally. Either the revenue from this feature is peanuts and Canonical are to embarrassed to admit that given the hoo-ha, or its huge and people will then ask why Amazon are paying so much for anonymous random desktop search terms like lett*82014*tax*.odt, with the implications that the search terms are not so...

As others have said, I just started using Debian. Quite like Wheezy.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Mushroom

Isn't the whole point of Linux to compile the computer to your needs? If I cannot remove this "feature" then I don't want this distro. I don't want it turned off, I want it gone.

1. NP-Hardass
      Linux

That's why I love Gentoo.

2. Steven Raith

Try google, there are clear instructions on how to remove this specific dash lens widely available.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/366238/how-do-i-remove-only-shopping-searches

And turning off all online search results stops it doing it.

Must admit, I thought it was a bit cheeky, but I'm happy enough with it disabled, which means no online search queries, period. I would normally qualify that with 'allegedly' but I'm pretty sure this code got looked at fairly closely after the kerfuffle with it caused...!

Steven R

3. Koconnor100

Linux Is ...

The point of Linux is to avoid windows.

Not watch a distribution turn into windows.

My current "other computer" has Ubuntu 11 on it . It's all it can handle so it's not upgrading.

My current windows machine , when I get a new machine the current one will go to Mint , or whatever is easy to use / not a windows Wannabe. Ubuntu is now off the list.

3. Bartholomew

near vs far away

I search for a filename on my local disk and the query is sent across the Internet to be stored forever on Ubuntu's servers (a bit like google, only more invasive). No that does not sound like it is an invasion of privacy at all.

4. MyffyW Silver badge
    Linux

Shopping Lens served a useful purpose...

... it drove me to install Debian. Never looked back :-)

1. RAMChYLD

Re: Shopping Lens served a useful purpose...

Problem is, tho, I'd love to go back to Debian. Unfortunately, Ubuntu and it's derivatives seem to be the only Distros in town that supports GPT-on-RAID arrays. I have a RAID-0 PC with UEFI, and the only distro that works on it out of the box or with minor tweaking is Ubuntu. Other distros get stuck at the initrd because for some reason they seem to think DMRaid is sufficient for handling RAID (DMRaid doesn't do GPT. That's the problem, you need KPartX to handle the GPT arrays). At that time the only advice I could get from other users of Debian was "turn off RAID and use LVM" which is an unacceptable solution for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ditch Linux.

Use FreeBSD.

1. yossarianuk

Just using Kubuntu is a better idea.

It fact its a better idea than using Windows also.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Lost the plot

That's what I think that Canonical has done.

They still have a good following but they are doing their utmost to drive them away as quickly as possible.

tho prime examples are

Unity

Amazon

Buggy releases and getting worse since 10/04

Like a previous poster their behavior has drivem me away. I've gone to the other oasis of stability, CentOS. I was a RH user before getting on the Ubuntu steamroller. That steamroller is IMHO running out ot steam rapidly.

6. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

I'm happy it's happy...

Two years later, the ICO has now said it’s satisfied that Canonical, chief steward of Ubuntu, has “reasonably ensured compliance” with the Data Protection Act.

In other words, it’s happy users’ data and privacy are protected.

I'm happy it's happy. But I'm not happy that Canonical seems to think that SPAM needs to be built in as a key "feature" of the OS, so Ubuntu is (still) off the list...the ICO notwithstanding.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Stop

Re: I'm happy it's happy...

And that's the fundamental issue. MS appears to have bought the 'people want advertising' line... while I have met many who don't bother to kill adverts, and some who don't really care, I have never met anyone who claimed that the *wanted* advertising.

And after all, if you want to search the web, use a browser, where you know the interface and can control what you see; where the search engine will return many vendors for a particular (or similar) product or searching of an individual site.

Away with it. As above; it's not a feature, it's a bug. And I try not to install buggy software.

1. Oninoshiko
        Facepalm

I assume you mean Mark Shuttleworth, I was confused about what Microsoft had to do with anything.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
          Facepalm

Yes. Reading that back this morning...

7. channel extended
    Unhappy

Why I left.

At one time I used and like Ubuntu a lot, latest features,nice interface, and easy update. Then I noticed that they were becoming more like Microsoft. Telling me what I should use. Face it if you have to go outside of their repo's they are saying don't use that, use our selection instead. Some of the ones that they insisted on were crap, examples: Unity, Amazon, Shotwell, loss of config utility. The problem is that I want controll of my machine. I finally went back to Debian and installed Mate. More work but now I have a system I like.

Face it a lot of dev's go more for the new shiny,shiny and less for KISS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why I left.

For KISS try Crunchbang #!. It's a Debian stable based distro that uses OpenBox and comes with a variety of apps and a selection of browsers that are ready to install.

8. akeane

And...

they still have not fixed grep yet :-(

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/command-not-found/+bug/1055766

At least today, I heard there is now a fish that can play pokémon, progress of sorts I guess, although I would prefer an owl that could play Doom #smileyface

9. nematoad

Not at any price.

" De Souza wrote: "I rest my case. I am still happy to use Ubuntu..."

It just goes to show, you can fool some of the people all the time.

Personally I wouldn't touch Ubuntu with a bargepole, with or without that lens nonsense. If you want to use Ubuntu like it should have been, use Linux Mint. Just look at the Distrowatch rankings, Mint is way ahead of Ubuntu or any of its derivatives.

They must be doing something right.

1. a_singh
      WTF?

Re: Not at any price.

Distrowatch measures a distro's page hits on the website, not how successful a distro is. Mint is not by any means "way ahead of Ubuntu", and is still heavily dependent on Ubuntu as a base. So if you wouldn't go anywhere near Ubuntu, by extension, you shouldn't even be using Mint... The code is open to look at, there is nothing malicious about the Unity shopping lens, and it can be disabled in 2 clicks. It will even be disabled by default in Unity 8. Get over it already.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

How to remove Amazon Ubuntu desktop

$sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

11. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

Dunn what's worse with this article.

That Ubuntu have not listened to the people that use it for so long.

That the ICO said it is reasonable (thus not understanding the point of his job)

or that it took the ICO two whole years for him to come to that "Brown Envelope" position.

Still for me Mint is a nice replacement and has been since 11.10 :)

12. sisk

The kill button is a step in the right direction, but it really needs to be an opt-in if they want to include this feature, not an opt-out.

Then again I've never liked Ubuntu. All the user friendliness - or lack thereof - of Debian with all the stability of Windows XP before its first service pack. I'm a recent convert from Debian to Linux Mint Debian Edition. Its as easy to use as the more traditional Mint and has all the stability I've always loved in Debian.

13. ricegf
    Linux

A Contrarian View

A lot of grumbling here aimed at Canonical. Please allow me to offer a humble difference of opinion, as someone who is enthusiastic about libre software and who adopted Linux in 2000 and Ubuntu (non-exclusively) in 2006.

I too left Ubuntu for Mint shortly after Unity was introduced - slow, buggy, limited functionality, *different* from Gnome's logical and beloved tri-menu - but I returned at the next release as improvements began to address my concerns. I test a lot of distros, and use SUSE and Red Hat heavily at work, but Unity is now my favorite interface. I use it exclusively on my dual-monitor home workstation - clean, fast, and productive. I particularly love hiding the menus in the title bars - it works despite my initial misgivings, and is quite clever and efficient!

I'm also not angry at Canonical for attempting to generate income from their consumer-centric product. The other options - pay by SKU aka Microsoft, premium proprietary hardware requirements aka Apple, or overt aggregation of personal data for profit aka Google - strike me as much less desirable. I realize you'd like for Ubuntu to just be free, like air, but to be commercially viable in the long-term, Canonical must have consistent revenue, and anonymous ads are the least objectionable revenue stream for a commercial company that I've yet seen.

We've always had free, geeks-only options like Debian, and I certainly don't want to lose them (nor do I think Canonical threatens them in the slightest). Two thumbs WAY up for free-as-in-liberty software. But I've become convinced that those projects and products will always be niche products, unknown by the mainstream. I would like to see at least a few Gnu Linux-based products aim to achieve enough commercial success that a broader audience could experience its benefits and know they have a choice. Canonical is investing a lot of Mark's money to make that happen, making what I consider reasonable and pragmatic decisions, and I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, if it is of similar quality to desktops based on Unity, I'll buy an Ubuntu phone when they launch this year. Still wish I could be using my Edge by now. :-)

1. Koconnor100

Re: A Contrarian View

I actually have nothing against Ubuntu.

The problem is with stunts like this , Canon is demonstrating they think they're the next Windows, and I'm using ubuntu because I'm running away from Windows,not running into the arms of the next Windows Wannabe.

thats where my problem lies.

14. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Sufficient information to turn off the feature? Whatever happened to opt in?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That fresh minty sensation

Dang , I love Ubuntu. Guess I have to switch to Mint on the next upgrade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like