back to article Car hackers build kit to protect you and your motor from fiery death

At last year’s Black Hat USA, Charlie Miller, security engineer at Twitter and Apple-cracker extraordinaire, and Chris Valasek, director of security intelligence at IOActive, showed delegates how to hack a car. This year they demoed a system that can stop any such hacks dead. Over the past 12 months, the duo have been going …

1. Lionel Baden

Simple Solution

Separate networks !

Why on earth does the browser/or publicy available systems, in a car need access to the ignition circuit, Airbags & central locking system ?

1. Russell Hancock

Re: Simple Solution

I would imagine the single network is down to costs and space - wiring looms have to run somewhere so the more wires the bigger they get. Again, more wires, more costs...

I know that these things should not matter but we all know how big companies work - £1 per car can add up to millions so lets not do it...

Personally, if i was building a car with a web browser in, it would be based on a concept similar to "3G hotspot" with only power to it and then "tablets" around the car - again with only a power cable to it - everything else these need can be done on WiFi / Bluetooth / etc - separate from the cars network.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

A mate has a new Audi. An option he was offered at purchase was a "security upgrade". This consists of a diode inserted in the command feed from the security ECU to the main ECU which prevents the former sending instructions to the latter and stops spurious commands from the outside world having access to the brains of the outfit.

He took it and still wonders why it's not standard.

So, we already have a situation where the various bits are separate (even my ten year old car has three ECUs, main/engine management, body control and security). All that's missing is the somewhat essential logic that prevents the bit that has its ears out in the ether reprogramming the other bits.

1. Mpeler
          Coat

Well, you know what they say - Only the good diode......

(apologies to Billy Joel and countless others.....)

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> This consists of a diode inserted in the command feed

I hope not literally otherwise some salesman was having a good laugh.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

> This consists of a diode inserted in the command feed

I hope not literally otherwise some salesman was having a good laugh.

Not just a diode, obviously. The upgrade also involves a copper bracelet, several magnets, and distilled water. It works well except when the gibbous moon is in Aquarius.

2. Fihart

"Turns out IDS is actually useful for something".

That'll be a first, given the mess the Tories have made of the Welfare system.

Oh, not that I.D.S ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Turns out IDS is actually useful for something".

Could be worse, they could have left it as it was - unaffordable.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Facepalm

I share your disappointment, as I thought it was that IDS too. Proving that assertion would make faster-than-light travel a trivial exercise in comparison.

3. Avatar of They
      Thumb Up

I read this article purely because I wanted to see what angle the Tories were bringing to car safety.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Since it does something other than simply report, it is technically an IPS - an intrusion prevention system - though it probably would not produce as much entertainment on your side of the Atlantic and confusion on mine. Ah well, I learned something unexpected today.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon