back to article High five from AMD: New supercomputer GPU maxes out at 5.07 TFLOPS

AMD has upped the ante in its battle with Nvidia for the data center and high-performance computing (HPC) markets, with the launch of two new GPU cards for servers. The company's new big gun is the FirePro S9150 card, which maxes out at a blistering 5.07 TFLOPS peak single-precision floating-point performance and 2.53 TFLOPS …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Nice

So, anyone remember the good old times when the now-lamented Mr. Saddam was rumored to buy up PS/2 en masse to create reality-bending weapons of mass destruction?

I want to go back.

2. Eddy Ito

Wait

Where's the DVI port? How is a Hard Core Gamer going to attach his array of monitors?

What? You say it's for HPC not HCG! Oh; belay my last.

3. Hurn

Where's the Fan?

Does that thing rely on airflow / positive pressure from the server fans to push air though it, or is there an axial fan (or two) at the "front" of the card?

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Devil

Re: Where's the Fan?

Probably 2 or 3 ear-spliting 16k RPM 4cm fans.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Where's the Fan?

From the specs tab on the website:

Cooling/Power/Form Factor

-Max Power: 235W

-Bus Interface: PCIe® x16

-Slots: Two

-Form Factor: Full height/ Full length

-Cooling: Passive heat sink

Then below that:

System Requirements

-20 CFM airflow cooling at 45° C maximum inlet temperature

4. Charles 9

Just curious. I notice some of the GPUs experience a 1:4 performance penalty when going from single- to double-precision, but many (bot notably not all) of the AMD GPUs manage to reduce the penalty to 1:2. Can anyone explain how they do this and why it isn't consistent across the board (unlike nVidia, whose GPUs seem to be consistently 1:4)?

1. JeeBee

Why? Differentiation of products, and power management.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

GPUs are single precision beasts at their core. DP is achieved by 'double pumping' the SP paths. 1:2 suggests AMD has all the necessary plumbing in HW to do so efficiently (VERY efficiently.) Less than that suggests the shader compiler is doing all the heavy lifting, making the HW purely SP.

Bravo AMD, nice to see DP taken seriously now.

5. c0rva

Wow. AMD is coming back folks, mark my words.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like