back to article Robot snaps on yellow RUBBER GLOVES, preps to invade Canada

Most right-minded humans are nervous that robots might one day decide to wipe us all off the face of the planet. But might the flesh-and-blood creatures be a threat to the silicon species? That's the question posed by the creators of a new mechanised hitch-hiker, which is set to travel from coast to coast across Canada on a …

1. Nigel The Pigeon

Advice for the robot

Bring a towel, and.. "Don't Panic"

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

LATEST NEWS

Hitchbot was taken into the USA. Now the embedded GPS-reporting mobile phone is costing the researchers $575 per microsecond in roaming charges. They've declared bankruptcy and fled to Bolivia.

2. Colin Ritchie
    Windows

I'm wondering if you meant wandering robot?

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

good job they are doing this in Canada

I'm sure that in some parts of the US, the locals will use it for target practice.

1. T J

Re: good job they are doing this in Canada

In those there parts, it would shoot back.

2. Fungus Bob

In Quebec they'll beat it to death with a stick if it doesn't speak French.

3. Kevin 6

Nah some local police would have thought it was a bomb, and called in the bomb squad to blow it up in a controlled manner. In my city a few months back a homeless guy forgot his bag, and they cordoned off the neighborhood for 4 hours before the bomb squad saved us from a homeless guys clothes...

hell look what they did to Aqua Teen Hunger Force art back in 2007 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

That or it would be thrown in a scrap yard by some junkers who will pick up ANYTHING that looks like it made of metal.

4. MrT

"...selling crack..."

Looks like Bender in a Police uniform - I wonder if it's got a front hatch for beer/wraps/erm, 'maple syrup ;-)' ?

"That belongsh to my pashenger, ossifer..."

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Seeing a big hole in the page

I guess there should be a picture of it there?

1. tony2heads
      Joke

Re: Seeing a big hole in the page

They think you don't want to see it using its RUBBER GLOVES

2. vonBureck
      Gimp

Re: Seeing a big hole in the page

It looks like a cross between an industrial vacuum cleaner and a girl piggy bank.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they're not expecting much.

It wouldn't last five minutes here, someone would scoop it up and take it away to sell for scrap.

7. Andy 73 Silver badge

If they did that in the UK, pranksters would have put it on the Eurostar by now and be partying with it in Ibiza within the week.

1. Chris G
      Pint

The robot would be welcome here in Ibiza but I'm not too sure how it would fair jumping off a balcony with a large lees than sober Glaswegian into a pool two or three floors below.

P.S. Need an Iced Jaegermeister icon for this one but a beer will do1

8. Crisp

Brain the size of a planet...

And they ask me to hitch hike across Canada...

9. fridaynightsmoke
    Coat

BEEN DONE

But the one I saw trundles around under its own power and offers comparison services for car insurance.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. VinceH

"That's the question posed by the creators of a new mechanised hitch-hiker, which is set to travel from coast to coast across Canada on a mission that will test how friendly people will be towards a robot."

So it's some kind of experiment to see how people react and deal with a hitch-hiking toaster, but by publicising it ahead of actually doing it, they're gong to bias the results, making the whole thing pointless.

Oh, wait, no - my mistake; it's not pointless, this 'experiment' is being done for the publicity, rather than the other way around.

Also:

"Also like most other people on the other side of the Atlantic, he has more than 20,000 Twitter followers."

Most people over there have more than 20,000 followers on Twitter? Some might - but most people? Really?

1. Chris G

You can buy

Twatter followers for almost peanuts; https://www.google.es/search?q=buy+twitter+followers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=JtDgU6DTDKzT8gfwpICQCw

Same applies for most of the other Socnet rubbish

12. Alistair
    Pint

Odd experiment.

Its supposed to be testing peoples reactions to independant mechanical objects.

Personally -- I'd want to "upgrade" the OS and perhaps enhance the supposed "repertoire" of trivia and jokes. But then I am a bit twisted after ............ far too long in this business.

Headed your way Trevor, I've not seen it hanging about my neck of the woods yet though its supposed to be here somewhere.... All yours to play with.

13. Deryk Barker

" It is travelling west towards Victoria, more than 5,000km (3,100 miles) from its home and on the east coast of Canada. "

*And* on the east coast. Victoria is not only not on the east coast it is not on the west coast: it is in fact on Vancouver Island a 1.5 hour ferry ride from the mainland.

Not sure how the robot will cope with the ferry - presumably it won't have the money to pay its fare as a foot passenger, which means someone will have to bring it onto the ferry in their car. Will they be charged to the extra passenger we wonder?

Does anyone have an ETA? I must keep an eye out...

1. The Dude

Odd map...

What is with the map? It shows the robot dipping down into Washington on the last leg of the journey. There are several problems with that. Does the robot have a passport? Does it have any cavities to be searched at the border crossing, and if so - are they relatively clean? And why would a robot want to take a ferry from Washington to Vancouver Island when it could travel on the fabulous BC Ferries?

Also, inquiring minds want to know: What is the fare for robots on the ferry? Do they travel free, pay the "seniors" rate or just regular passenger?

14. jbeveridge

HitBot at the Pow Wow

The little bugger was even honoured with a new name...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/04/hitchbot-update-canadas-hitchhiking-robot-picks-up-an-honourary-name-on-manitoulin-island/

15. Valeyard
    Coat

heh..

"I become excited because I realize how large Canada is"

that's what SHE said!

16. Mark 85

Not the first time for something like this...

I remember some years ago a stolen concrete goose or duck doing this and then there was the teddy bear which went all over the world. So yeah... people react to inanimate objects.

Oh wait.. those were done by ordinary people for kicks and grins. This is being done by Uni types for either grant money in hand or maybe a proposal based on the results for grant money.

Ah.. I see the difference now.

17. Katie Saucey
    Terminator

Damn I missed it

I frequently commute from Kingston to Toronto, if I had found this T-800 precursor along the highway I would have scooped it up and FedEx'd it to Mexico for proper disposal (pretty sure that's where Sarah Connor is hiding out).

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't that just a white Mac Pro with a face?

If someone were to try that in Swansea, it'd get bonked with some Jack shouting "Instagram this you ****ing t**t before I smash 'oo cowin' head in" before they nick its face to stick it in the back of a Corsa and broadcast abuse to people on the Kingsway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like