back to article Mozilla gaffe exposed 76,000 email addresses, 4000 passwords

Mozilla has 'fessed up to accidentally exposing the email addresses for 76,000 members of its Developer Network, along with 4000 encrypted passwords. The breach was caused by a bad script that on July 23 was found to have inadvertently published the records online over the previous month. The offending data sanitisation …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Mozilla gaffe exposed 76,000 email addresses, 4000 ENCRYPTED passwords"

That is all

1. Avalanche

Re: "Mozilla gaffe exposed 76,000 email addresses, 4000 ENCRYPTED passwords"

From the linked article "The encrypted passwords were salted hashes"

2. Syntax Error

They should be prosecuted. Another day another leak by another professional IT organisation.

Prosecute.

3. WillbeIT
    Alert

Apathy

76000 users, 4000 passwords, 2 comments. Priceless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Apathy

It's Monday morning, the reg may not be everyone's 1st port of call.....the coffee takes more priority.

1. VinceH

I therefore propose the following, less apathetic reaction:

HOLY SHIT! Who the hell knew that El Reg publishes stuff on a Monday morning?

2. DropBear

Conclusion? Moz devs just don't fancy reading El Reg...

1. Eddy Ito

This web site would seem to indicate that a good number of Moz devs have been asleep until - well for another couple of hours.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why change passwordS? I only need to change the one for this service. I wouldn't use it for anything else, that would be silly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why go phishing when you can just crawl Mozilla?

Since most people by now are (have no excuse not to be) careful to use unique passwords for (most) places they visit, the exposure of these password hashes shouldn't be a big deal.

Those e-mail addresses, MY e-mail address, on the other hand...

Another good reason to set up a bunch of e-mail aliases on your mail host and use those instead of your "real" address when dealing with those sites you can get away with it on.

The only bright side is that somewhere some purveyer of customer e-mail info just lost a ton of potential sales because there's another 70K of addresses freely available on the Internet.

P.S. What's next, Mozilla, metadata from your bug reporting system?

6. J 3
    Coffee/keyboard

76,000 email addresses, 4000 passwords

That's all? Feels like the total amounts I have nowadays to handle all the online crap of today's life...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Rather Notsay
    IT Angle

Who needs competence?

What does this have to do with The Reg? As a political organisation, Mozilla's dwindling technical competency is irrelevant. What matters is that they remain free of counter-progressive thought criminals. It's not like whoever was responsible supported prop 8 or anything. Now THAT would be a "under the present circumstances, I cannot be an effective leader" (formerly known as sackable) offence.

9. Goat Jam

Boring!

The real important questions are;

How is the Mozilla diversity program going?

What is their non-white, one-legged, lesbian coder ratio today?

Have they sacked everyone that isn't in lock-step with their position on the gay marriage thing yet?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like