back to article Comcast, Time Warner boost net speeds in Google Fiber city – COINCIDENCE?

Comcast and Time Warner will hike their broadband speeds in Kansas City, which just so happens to be the first place Google Fiber rolled out. The pair of telco giants will boost transfer rates without a price increase, the Kansas City Star in Missouri reports. Kansas City is one of the few US markets where Comcast and Time …

1. Jim O'Reilly

It's nothing to do with rural!

US cities are not much different to say South Korean cities. The rural excuse for lousy broadband doesn't cut it. It's true for Kansas, but not for New York. With most subscribers in cities, the point is even more obvious.

The real driver for the Telcos is getting as much return on their investment...that means no upgrades to the physical plant. Competition is the only force that can drive the issue.

1. NP-Hardass
      Thumb Up

Re: It's nothing to do with rural!

If I could give you more than one upvote, I would. Well said.

1. Fatman

If I could give you more than one upvote, I would. Well said.

Well, I gave him one for you!

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Boffin

Agreed. As Michael Lewis pointed out at the end of "Flash Boys", his book on high frequency trading, for long hauls, microwave links replaced fiber for HFT in the last year or two, because it has lower latency between Chicago & New Jersey. With the added plus of being cheaper & faster to install.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Yup, I'm in Orlando, which is far from rural, and Time-Warner/Roadrunner/Brighthouse (or whatever the hell they're called this month) seem to have their network duct-taped together.

I get about 3 megabytes/sec according to xosview max unless I VPN somewhere, in which case it about doubles.

1. Hud Dunlap
        Unhappy

@Gene Cash

I haven't lived in Orlando ( College Park) in over thirty years. Sad to hear that Time Warner or who ever they were long long time ago haven't changed.

2. FrankAlphaXII

If you want a laugh, go down to All American (or the office on Semoran) and ask those morons when they plan to have IPv6. The blank stares and blinking says it all.

2. Hud Dunlap
    Mushroom

Maximum speeds only

Your experience may vary. I quit watching a movie on Netflix last night because the speed had dropped so much as to be unwatchable. They need to start guaranteeing minimum speeds not maximum. They have fiber in my Neighborhood and I am not upgrading. No point. I don't get what I pay for now.

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: Maximum speeds only

I had a similar experience (Amazon Prime, Comcast) a few days ago. At the same time, my local link showed low latency and about 50 megabits/second down, 10+ up. I suspect there might be issues related to Amazon's willingness to purchase enough capacity at their end or Comcast's connection to whatever their connection is to Amazon's servers. The other alternative is poor performance on my wlan due to the large number of neighborhood systems, some as strong as mine.

That said, competition is a Good Thing and we look forward with eagerness to the possibility that Google will bring it to us in Salt Lake City (suburbs - Xmission already provides gigabit service in some parts of the metropolitan area, I think).

3. Mark 85

Comcast and Time Warner pulled this at the same time?

I smell a rat. Just too much to be a coincidence. Seems to belie what they've been saying about not throttling, etc. If Google turned off the fiber, I wonder how fast their speeds would drop back?

4. Mikel

They had legislated competition away

Now it takes a company the size and weight of Google to force them to compete on speed and value.

BTW, Grant county in Washington state has had gigabit fiber to the home for 14 years through their power utility. They are very rural. In Seattle's King County though, you are out of luck.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably coincidence

Guys, the original article says the cable companies are only increasing speeds from 25-50 to 50-105 mbps, nothing close to Google's 1gbps. Seems to be typical for urban areas. I live in a semi-rural town of 30,000... last year Comcast upgraded service to 25-50 mbps, for real, pretty consistently. They serve a decent chunk of the surrounding rural towns too.

Problem is the lack of competition, unserved rural areas, and apparently inadequate infrastructure in some cities. State/municipal broadband gradually rolling out though... maybe that's what's keeping the cable companies on their toes.

6. Dan Paul

Cable/Telco companies are LIARS.....

and Thieves.

The real problem has been underprovisioning from the start. If the cable ISP's wanted to turn up the speeds, they could do so at a drop of a hat. Bandwidth costs money that the cable companies and Telcos don't want to part with.

Cable companies and phone companies do not have higher speeds because they bought a specific amount of bandwidth from a 1st tier backbone supplier and they do not want to pay for any more or build out nodes for more users.

Digital television of any kind is actually a form of "streaming" and a certain amount of your overall user bandwidth is apportioned to the TV signals and another part is apportioned to the Internet signal. They will apportion the overall bandwidth based on how many users there are. There is little to no headroom for too many simultaneous users but this happens all the time. Obviously, the more channels you buy and the more subscribers there are, the less the available overall internet speed.

If the area being served has less bandwidth than it requires, the TV stations will get "blocky" or the sound will cutout. Changing between stations will take much longer and stay "black" or go full white noise while the system multiplexes to the new channel. Conversley, your internet connection will slow down significantly if your TV signal stays viewable. Sometimes both will happen.

All of these issues are due to far too many subscribers on a node for the available bandwidth.

This should be a simple case of "Theft of Services" if our politicians listened to US instead of the Cable/Telco lobbyists.

1. Badger Murphy

Re: Cable/Telco companies are LIARS.....

True about the limit bandwidth availability in the actual cables themselves, but at least with cable modem technology (DOCSIS), the TV channels and the cable modem service don't share the same bandwidth.

In cable systems, each TV channel occupies a certain frequency spectrum, which could be analogized to lanes on a road. Each channel stays in its own lane. The cable modems also use the equivalent of 1 channel (not each, they all share). If more capacity is needed on a cable wiring system, like a single neighborhood for example, additional single channels can be allocated to cable modems instead of TV channels. This is not a dynamic or shared process, though.

In the USA, cable channels are 6.4mHz in width, (it is 8mHz over by you folks, I believe) which equates to about 35mbps (varies depending on other factors). So, all modems on the same channel share that 35mbps. If more is needed, which it is, more channels add more instances of 35mbps capacity. Modern cable modem systems allow these 35mbps blocks to be aggregated together to allow single instances of data transfer in excess of 35mbps.

TL;DR

TV channels and cable modem service do not impinge on one another directly, but there is some indirect correlation and consideration.

7. Gertwise

As far as I can tell, Comcast, Time Warner, and all the other telecom companies periodically raise their internet speeds.

Google has an advantage as they are sitting on a big pile of money and don't have the need of upgrading old infrastructure.

We'll see what happens in a few years. I know that Comcast has shown that it's possible to pull 4gbs down over coax and Google has a bad habit of getting involved in something and then abandoning it.

8. jnffarrell1

Cities conceded that they could and should do a better job

Among the concessions offered by cities that agree to the Google Fiber Checklist: 1) accurately map where underground gas lines, etc. exist 2) let Google pull cable through city owned fiber conduit 3) make building permits fast and easy to get (and the opportunity for holdups or graft non existent) 4) get telephone poles on city easements to accept fiber lines from multiple companies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like