back to article Google's mysterious floating techno barge SOLD FOR SCRAP

Google's hopes of operating a floating technology showcase in the San Francisco Bay appear to have sunk, with word that the online ad-slinger has sold off at least one of two mysterious – or merely hare-brained? – Google Barges. The San Jose Mercury News reports that Google has confirmed the sale of the barge that has sat idle …

1. Truth4u

they were going to do illegal medical expirements on it

but they decided even they couldnt be that evil

One of their exhibits was the "pain room", a room full of a live human heads that repeatedly get slapped in the face by a robot and scream.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: they were going to do illegal medical expirements on it

Professor Desty Nova is now working at Google, doing Karma Research?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Nova eh? Saltwater isolation to destroy any escaping nanite experiments? Ingenious!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe they did do illegal experiments. Nine months, after all, is suspiciously close to the gestation period for a human baby; perhaps now that the genetically engineered spawn of Brin and Page (with, no doubt, some stolen gene sequences from Steve Jobs) has been birthed, they've decided one is enough.

1. Truth4u

It's certainly plausible that they could have created any number of hitlerian super beings but their main focus was definitely on breaking the will of the population at large using chemicals and radio frequencies.

2. Ole Juul

Google Ark

I take the scrapping of this project to be an indication that the seas won't rise after all. I was actually looking forward to the day when on the news I would see a shot of the gangplank with: two Chromeboks, two nexii, two glasses, two nerds, . . . . . . . .

1. frank ly

Re: Google Ark

How could you expect any of those to breed?

1. TheOtherHobbes

GitHub

1. Naughtyhorse

fork that!

2. Scroticus Canis

Re: Google Ark - "How could you expect any of those to breed?"

In the same way Noah's dinosaurs did. Oh wait ....

3. Cliff

Google were a convincing cover story for NSA

Before the wheels fell off the secret squirrel nest, they paid for Google to be a front for these fibre-optic interception listening barges, to be placed at strategic inbound fibre points with 'undisclosed electronics'. Maybe.

People thought it was the kind of crazy thing Google might do, and they would kit out the front couple of layers with lots of Teletubby rolling hills etc to showcase the toys on.

Maybe.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Google were a convincing cover story for NSA

You're right - who knows.

I'd a thought that that under-sea fibre-tapping devices don't require such a large distraction, though.

Using a commercial company to provide cover for a a purpose-built espionage boat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSF_Explorer

formally the USNS Hughes Glomar Explorer (T-AG-193), the deep-sea drillship platform initially built for the United States Central Intelligence Agency Special Activities Division secret operation Project Azorian to recover the sunken Soviet submarine K-129, lost in April 1968.

4. jake Silver badge

Kids with more money than brains.

At least their spending habits keep them off the streets at night.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Kids with more money than brains.

They could just buy the streets.

2. James O'Brien

A better view is that the streets are safer.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

At least their spending habits keep them off the streets at night..

They don't need to be on the streets any more. They have StreetView for that.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Drops in the bucket

Google probably made more off of slinging ads on the Reg than the cost of this failed project. What did this really cost? 15-20 million? Chump change for the chumps. And probably a write off in some column too!

Paris, cuz she could afford it too!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Drops in the bucket

Ads? On ElReg? Really?

Not in my universe ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Drops in the bucket

I think he's referring to the stories on the Reg and elsewhere about the barges as being "ads".

If so, they fail at that since they didn't advertise anything other than Google's name. Google already has name recognition about as high as it is going to go, so mentioning their name in additional articles is worth nothing to them.

On the other hand, if instead of Google this had been done by some small startup no one had ever heard of that ended up with millions of people checking out their web site and everyone knowing who they were and what they did, it would have gone down as one of the greatest stealth marketing campaigns in history.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Meanwhile, halfway around the world

The *real* Google World Domination Nuclear Powered Floating Headquarters[tm][c] have been quietly built, completed, stocked for a looooong cruise, and launched on its way to who knows where... their job of distraction complete, the Google Barges can now be scrapped; a cunning move which not only releases a little equity but still keeps people guessing.

I understand they would have been scrapped earlier, but the GWDNPFH launch was delayed as they were unable to locate a suitable white cat.

1. Robert Sneddon

Re: Meanwhile, halfway around the world

What's wrong with getting a regular non-white cat and overriding its colour to #ffffff in the CSS?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Come sir; Bond villains do not cascade style; they exude it.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"I understand they would have been scrapped earlier, but the GWDNPFH launch was delayed as they were unable to locate a suitable white cat."

Google of all people should be able to find a suitable white cat from the gazillions of cat photos online.

But perhaps the ideal fluffy white cat owners are a secretive bunch.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps they got a good price on a secret underground volcano lair in which to wake up their AI, and don't need the barges any more?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

secret underground lair

They've cancelled the project because the US government has decided it owns all your data everywhere, so an offshore barge isn't secure.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a tarp

Scrapped? Yeh, right. More like fully fitted, operational and setting off to do no evil somewhere in the world. This is just a cover story so next time someone googles google barge, the only news that pops up will be they've been scrapped. They'll also be invisible to google earth. The barges, and any activities that may or may not involve oompa loompa pron would also have a right to be forgotten. Thus they cease to exist on the interwebz and vanish from subjective reality.

1. toxicdragon

Re: It's a tarp

Oompa Loompa pron? Already been done mate

(Well I assume so, there are certain things not even I will search for, but rule 34 and all that)

9. psychonaut

barges?

We don't need no steered in barges

10. Captain DaFt

I always figured the plan was:

1. Build a series of large platforms

2. Moor them in international waters

3. Declare Google a sovereign country

4. PROFIT! (Tax Free)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I always figured the plan was:

Other possibilities:

1) Pilot craft to be used for the WaveView project.

2) The ultimate place to back up everyone's lolcats, delete all land-based copies and then sell them back to the original owners, when ad-slinging is no longer a viable business model.

DO NO Evil (as he strokes his white cat)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

1, Cost building barge $2-5M

2, Cost of parking it $0.5M

3, Value of Google(tm) mentions on main stream news services ... priceless

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How is mentioning Google's name useful to them? Everyone already knows their name, and those who don't wouldn't have read those articles.

1. Mr Michael Strelitz

For the same reason that Coca Cola advertises and looks for PR. At a guess many more know Coca Cola than know Google..

2. Adam 1

I think that was the original thinking but they discovered they didn't need to do steps 1,2 or 3

11. kain preacher

They still have a barge left in Stockton. The harbor fees have been paid till the end of the year.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest Android landfill ever!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

99 ways not to build a...

At least Google are experimenting.

A failed experimental project is more worth while for the public than "innovating" or "monetizing"old crap. OK, share holders might not be best pleased.

Wonder how much money was made from the light bulb industry?

14. Grubby

I recon

I'll speculate, as everyone else is...

Firstly what were they going to do with them? I recon create off-shore data centres to protect it from governments, but that plan has been scrapped after the US government have since made a number of successful demands for data in other countries.

Secondly why scrap and not sell? For the same reason companies buy paper cups, they're disposable and therefore cannot be classed as an asset. If they were sold they would be at a significant loss, if they're kept they're an asset, but if they're scrapped they can claim back the cost of them as they're not an asset and, technically, resulted in no profit being made.

Or, they were making Waterworld 2 but Kevin Costner turned them down.

1. Pet Peeve

Re: I recon

It may simply be that they couldn't find a buyer for more than scrap value (and there may be a lot of scrap value in all that old iron).

If google deployed any nice technology into the barges, it's unlikely they included that in the sale price, leaving not much for a buyer other than lots of rust and maybe a fancy paintjob on some walls. I was always thinking that the "technology demo" part of the barge was some kind of VR setup, so there's probably a big welded-together space with some orientation grids / greenscreen painted on it, and lots of empty camera mounts and cable trays.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I knew it was a mistake to name the barge the SS Google+ !!

/rimshot

You guys are a great audience!! I'm here all week!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like