back to article HP storage revenue downturn? It's just a 'kink', says exec

HP's first calendar 2014 quarter storage revenue downturn was a blip, according to the global head of its enterprise group – though analysts at IDC may not agree. Bill Veghte, exec veep and GM of HP's Enterprise Group, was speaking about the calendar Q1 numbers that co-incide with HP's second fiscal quarter. He told us the …

1. Nate Amsden

tape

I haven't dug into the numbers myself as that is not my thing but in my talks with David Scott last month he attributed the decline almost entirely on tape. He said 3PAR had something like 90% year over year growth in Q1 anyway (and Q1 2013 was post 7000-series launch) and significant market share gains. I don't remember all the specifics but tape may of well played a big factor revenue wise. I think IBM sells tape too?

Though HP recently wrote that tape capacity shipments reached an all time record high in 2013 of 6,472 petabytes(I believe that is industry wide not just HP).

http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Around-the-Storage-Block-Blog/Where-is-tape-media-headed/ba-p/167540#.U9vOJvEpKIA

Of course that is largely on the back of really big tape sizes, so fewer drives, fewer tapes but bigger sizes..

1. Alex McDonald 1

Re: tape

The IDC figures don't include tape.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: tape

"The IDC figures don't include tape." Do the IDC figures include server-based storage such as the P4000 and VSA products? When we got rid of quite a few old EVAs we replaced them with P4000 clusters instead, I imagine quite a few EVA owners will have done likewise seeing as it provides very cheap yet highly-available storage.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. M. B.

We've been following the trend...

...as well, since we're a premier partner. We seem to be losing a lot of disk-based business when we lead with HP. It's not that the deals aren't there, we just aren't winning them with HP. I'm not sure if it's a mindset thing or what. Might be a couple good quarters around the corner, but the past two have been pretty bad. Even traditional all-HP shops are taking the time to shop around and it hasn't been good for our high-end storage practice (and devastating on the low margin SME stuff).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

look at their products and more specfically their customer support

HP's hodge pogde pprtfolio might have all the check boxes of other vendors, but really are you going to buy a big ticket item with confidence from a company that's in the process of cutting 50,000 staff.

Oh, "here is your incident number please send us the logs", level of support...

1. Man Mountain

Re: look at their products and more specfically their customer support

Hodge Podge Portfolio? HP pretty much only sell 3PAR. There are a couple of other products around the edges but HP probably has the least 'hodge podge' portfolio of anyone. Even NetApp that used to have the cleanest portfolio has acquired and is developing net new products.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just had a look at the Register article that is referenced and there were 3 vendors with bigger declines than HP so not sure why HP was singled out in this article. The declines were:

IBM -20.5 per cent

Dell -19.0 per cent

EMC - 8.8 per cent

HP - 8.0 per cent

IBM and Dell to be expected but even the mighty EMC felt the pain more than HP.

6. luis river

3PAR big bet.

3PAR StoreServ, rewarded "well of their class" in 2014 in half range for DCIG, it demonstrates that the bet of HP for 3PAR in 2011 had much sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like