back to article A modest proposal: Australian ISPs should JUMP at the chance to store metadata

Scarcely a day passes on which Vulture South is not told that an investment in Big Data software is the first step accruing undreamed-of riches. You know the argument: organisations that collect lots of data are sitting on a trove of un-articulated insights. A little Hadoopery and analytics will quickly reveal why customers …

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    Thumb Up

You had me there, Simon

It's 9 am, I haven't had any caffeine, and my brain is still at the ambient Canberra temperature (currently 5 degrees).

1. Denarius
      Thumb Up

Re: You had me there, Simon

Well put. I was not sure if you were trying a political shill article to stir the pot until I saw the bottom line. Two coffees already so some lights on. Subtle satire. Lets see how many miss it.

2. aberglas

Not Satire at all

Sadly, the article is actually spot on.

No industry minds the government imposing extra costs on them if it also applies to their competitors. The price they charge consumers just goes up.

And why wouldn't you mine the data once collected if you are a big Telco? Answer: because your tech staff only know about cables and are too incompetent to do it effectively. So you just sell access to the raw data to somebody that does know how to mine it, like Google. And then the Oz government on sells that analysis to their head office at the NSA.

3. frank ly

re. "... churn to a rival ..."

Does Mars ever occlude Saturn? If it does, it can't happen very often, surely?

1. dan1980

Re: re. "... churn to a rival ..."

@frank ly

"Does Mars ever occlude Saturn?"

Never. It can, VERY infrequently occult Saturn, but I think we have to wait another millennium for that to occur again.

4. RedneckMother

On the bright side...

The ISPs have a golden (sorry) opportunity to totally overwhelm the idjits - bring it on!

5. Fluffy Bunny
    Angel

Another modest proposal

"We're assuming that readers know of, or familiarise themselves with, Jonathan Swift's deadpan satire, the Modest Proposal before commenting on this piece"

I haven't read the "Modest Proposal" referred to here. However, I have read "Yet Another Modest Proposal: the Roentgen Standard" by Larry Niven. It is an excellent read and (if we had adopted it) we would be able to solve many of the world's current problems by giving sufficient foreign aid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like