back to article Cold storage, Facebook style? Flash FPGA controller to knock your SoCs off, vows upstart

Startup NxGnData Stepping onto the flash controller stage from its stealth phase comes with an FPGA-based SoC promising hyperscale cold data storage using cheap, short-life TLC flash and in-situ processing. NxGnData NxGnData home page Its home page promises: In-Situ processing for computational data, EndExt with …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

YASSPTH

Yet

Another

Storage

Startup

Promising

The

Earth

How many are just touting a theoretical product that 'blows the socks off the competition' in the hope of getting bought out by someone else for crazy money?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: YASSPTH

Promising the earth is much easier when you are promising cheap flash with low rewrite cycles.

I don't need my main storage to be fast, I need it to be able to chuck me data a reasonable rate, but most of it is load and leave - if I can buy a couple (one at my house, one at a family member living on a different tectonic plate) for a reasonable price/GB then I'm in.

10TB SATA backup disk for a few hundred quid?

That'll do nicely for all my home data archiving. How often do I delete photos/videos of family?

2. Deckmunki
    WTF?

I don't think I've ever seen so many acronyms in one article. Especially in the first paragraph... :)

3. Deckmunki
    WTF?

I don't think I've ever seen so many acronyms in one article, especially in that first paragraph. Where's my Google...? ;)

4. another_vulture

LDPC

It appears that the on-board computation is actually the LDPC decoder. By doing the LDPC in the FPGA, you off-load it and also reduce the amount of data being sent. LDPC is a sophisticated error correction scheme normally used on noisy radio links.

1. razorfishsl

Re: LDPC

And now they can use it for correcting errors in noisy memory devices……

good luck on getting a full block back from those dodgy MLC read amps……

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future seems to be a bit less "off the shelf" when it comes to servers.

Hopefully they won't abandon standards for system buses though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon