back to article Apple and Samsung UNDER THREAT from local brands – study

A recent study by Netbiscuits has seen growth in locally made devices. While Samsung and Apple dominate globally – LG and HTC get something of a look-in, which is more than Sony, Nokia or Motorola manage – there is an interesting underlying trend of consumers becoming patriotic in their buying habits. The strength of Xiaomi is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There is a trend towards bigger screens, with the greatest shifts being towards the 5 to 5.9 inch screen size category in the United States, Canada and Australia. In the UK, the 4.5” to 4.9” was the segment to gain most in terms of share of traffic"

Presumably this is obesity driven: Bigger bottoms need bigger trousers with bigger pockets? And porkier hands will be more comfortable with larger devices even for those who don't have pockets.

1. fishman

The UK has an adult obesity rate of 25%, highest in Europe, and higher than Canada.

2. PaulM 1
    Linux

I am very satisfied with my Huawei Y300 phone

This only cost me £39 and seems as fast as a mid-range Samsung phone costing four times as much. It also runs standard Android rather than the annoying Samsung touch-wiz interface,

1. Marcus Aurelius

Re: I am very satisfied with my Huawei Y300 phone

Where did you get it for £39??. A quick browse implies £70-75 is the norm

1. PaulM 1

I bought an unlocked Y300 phone as an upgrade from Carphone Warehouse. It is normally £59 but has twice been reduced to £39. To qualify for the upgrade I bought a Pay As You Go Virgin SIM for an old candy bar phone which I topped up up by £10 every 6 months. Virgin may not be the best network to use for upgrades at Carphone Warehouse because it is not usable in all upgrades. I recommend O2, Vodafone or Orange PAYG SIMS for Carphone upgrades. I think that the best Android upgrade deal at this moment might be £79 unlocked Moto Es from phones4U.

2. AnotherJamesPearson

I agree that the Huawei Y300 is an excellent value phone. So much so, that I very nearly bought one. It checks almost all of the tick boxes...scratch resistant glass...takes SD card...acceptable amount of onboard RAM...and so on. However there is one feature that it curiously lacks, namely that it is reported to lack an on board compass (which presumably means it can't point the little arrow/orient the map in the satnav app.)

Considering how little extra that must have saved, it seems a most strange omission. Just thought I'd mention it in case that is an issue for anyone else thinking of buying one. (might be worth checking this for the Y330 and Y530 as well for anyone considering those).

3. Fihart

Inevitable with the telco cartel.

While the telcos have a de facto cartel on distribution of over-priced major branded phones, they are actually growing the next generation of manufacturers that will eat them.

Own-brand models from formerly small Chinese manufacturers -- T Mobile's deals with ZTE for example -- are giving such firms the finance and brand awareness necessary to launch directly into the market. Huawei are the first that most people here are aware of, offering good phones at the right price. In future, lesser-known brands such as the ones mentioned in the article will gain acceptance with consumers.

4. ThomH

Apple will be fine...

... because there are no other iOS devices. I think the market share is going to continue to contract but not precipitously. If the Mac still makes money for them, the iPhone probably always will.

Conversely, Android manufacturers are fungible, sufficient hardware only gets cheaper and Samsung continues to target Apple in its advertising, providing a textbook answer to what happens if you can't stop fighting the last war. But with its manufacturing and component expertise I doubt it'll wilt quite as quickly as did its predecessors, Motorola and HTC.

Greater diversity is arguably the sign of a more mature market so the upside is: we all win.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple will be fine...

Apple's market share is only "contracting" because idiots keep measuring smartphone market share not realizing that all phones will be smartphones soon enough. So all the bottom feeder feature phones that are replaced with bottom feeder smartphones help the smartphone market share of non-Apple vendors, dragging Apple's down. Apple has continued to slightly grow its share of the overall mobile market.

It doesn't matter to Apple if it only has 10% of the mobile market when it is making 2/3 of the profit for the whole industry (Samsung takes all the rest, no one else makes any money to speak of)

5. Alan Denman

Y300

Yes, that Y300 is essentially close to the iPhone 5/5s/5c/ or Galaxy Ace.

Apple realise people can make do with low resolution small phones so that is what they give.

Not everyone wants or even needs those high end high resolution Note type phablets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Big Breakfast

@ Mr. -"Apple realise people can make do with low resolution small phones so that is what they give."

When the audaciously rumoured number 6 with it's 4.5 or 5 inch screen comes along please can I squeegee your Fanboi mush for my next breakfast:- I'm thinking a nice big 4 egg omellete will still leave spares for lunch and dinner.

Also..."low resolution "???? Where does this fit with the Great Jobsian "retina" phraseology???

Regards your local Fandroid

----Oh No!!! Just realised I've been trolled. Eeuugh I need a wash.-----

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like