back to article Too rich for an iPhone 6? How about a gold-plated Brikk?

For many people in the world, 600 quid is a lot to spend on a phone. But for some, it's way too little. So at last, a firm called Brikk has offered the 0.01 per cent a way to get their fruity fix while still hammering home the message they are considerably richer than you. For those with a spare £4,955 ($8,400), they've made …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long before the purchaser drops it, cracks the glass and has to spend $3,995 (£2,376) on a replacement screen?

I give it 3 days.

1. gotes

I'd be impressed if they managed to crack the glass, having seen someone attempt to break it.

2. Nigel Brown

An awful lot of money to play Candy Crush.....

3. Anomalous Cowshed

the article fails to mention one advantage

If the phone gets brikked, it's no longer a fault, it's part of the design! Saves a lot of frustration, well worth paying a bit extra for. After all it's only pocket change.

4. Doogs

All that money...

and you don't even get a slice of lemon?

1. MrT

Re: All that money...

... market opening for a protective case made from finest thinly-sliced lemon 'leather', held in a pouch made from Egyptian cotton towelling.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Joke

Re: All that money...

Nah, obviously a Brikk employee in the future has sent this thing back to before the iPhone 6 is released, so that once it is they can sue Apple, make billions for the company and then relax by bashing out their brains with Gargleblasters (lemon optional) before they get taken over by Megadodo Publications who know a good marketting idea when they see one.

5. teapot9999

Really...

So they have released an IPhone 6 before Apple - sounds unlikely to me

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really...

They also plan to offer gold-plated Galaxy and HTC products, but the writer conveniently forgot to mention it. Why spoil yet another anti-Apple, based-on-rumours piece of ill-researched propaganda by Jasper Hamill?

1. Lamont Cranston

This piece is anti-Apple? I thought it was anti-slathering-tech-in-gold-and-diamonds.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: This piece is anti-Apple?

It's by Jasper Hamill. What did you expect?

2. Martin
        Happy

They also plan to offer gold-plated Galaxy and HTC products...

But I bet that over 90% of the gold-plated phones they sell are Apple.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is tat ?

Kinda sums up the iPhone

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Money...

....taste.

So often they never mix well.

1. Ted Treen
      Alert

Re: Money...

"mix well"??

They seem to be in inverse proportion - for proof just see any Rap "star", footballer, reality TV show "star", banker, politician...

Almost all philistines.

8. Anonymous Custard

If you're that damn rich...

you don't touch a phone at all, that's what you have a PA and other sycophantic hangers-on for.

Still I guess you can buy one of these abominations for them I guess, to really rub it in.

9. EddieD

2 years later..

It's an obselete piece of tat...

Okay, if you can afford this, you don't care, but folk who buy things like this, buy 10k watches etc, which don't have inbuilt obselecence.

My inner puritan is a wee bit disapproving.

The fact it looks crap is incidental

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2 years later..

I've always wondered what happens to stuff like this, those 5 and 6 figure Vertu phones, etc. since the people who are buying them certainly don't want to be using last year's phone when they've spent so much.

Obviously the 1% of the 1% who buys a $10,000 phone can afford to buy a new one each year with the change they find in their couch, but what happens to the old ones? Do they stick them in a drawer where my $500 (subsidized!) Nokia 8860 still sits, or give them to their PA as a hand-me-down Xmas present?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brikk's version of the iPhone 6 ...

Amazing what loads-a-money can by you!!! Apparently that includes a phone that has not even been released yet..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brikk's version of the iPhone 6 ...

Reminds me of Ocean's 13...

11. Michael Habel

Can I get that "Gold Brick" with a slice of Lemon wrapped around it?

12. Arctic fox
    Happy

I would suggest that virtually everyone other than the notorious 1%...........

"For many people in the world, 600 quid is a lot to spend on a phone."

.............would feel that is a lot of money to spend on a phone!*

*I have spent almost that much. To be specific, my lady's Xperia Z2 for a special birthday. I did not for one moment begrudge it but it still wasn't exactly small change from my point of view.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

As kids, we used to do something similar with coins and the silver foil off kit-kat wrappers.

I'd be interested to see how "wrapping" something in gold plate affects the signal though

1. tony2heads
      Joke

Re: Hmmm

you're golding it wrong

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Happy

Yes but...

...anyone know the name of TV show the clip is from?

TIA

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A nice accessory

It matches that other brick, the gold plated Delorean.

16. CaptainBanjax

What?

When are they going to do something less obvious? Gold plating anything is naff.

Wheres the granite case or yellow enamel cast iron case? Wont anyone think of matching phones with middle class kitchen chic? How can housewives keep going when they know they clash with the worktops, Le Creuset pan set and the Aga?

17. earplugs

Brikk Malware Magnet

99% of malware want to occupy the Brikk!

18. Gannettt

Thanks for the Harry Enfield....shouldn't it be "considerably richer than yow"? :)

19. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

No glitter and tassels?

Anybody joker with the address of a hobby store can bling a phone. Really having money should let one escape boring, mass produced features by having a dedicated team of hardware and software engineers who will upgrade your phone to do your bidding.

I suspect that Steve Jobs was doing exactly this for himself with early models of iPhones.

20. Herby

Jewelry??

That is all it is. The fact that it does "phone" is almost secondary. They could be selling a simple slab of stainless steel, layered in gold leaf and with a few carbon crystals, and add the Apple logo (royalty necessary), and call it a day. No need for useless "electronics" to confuse people.

The same goes for watches these days. Almost anything over $50.00 is jewelry. They all tell time just as well.

Bling? Bah!

21. Delbert

Ooh suits you Sir!

I went into a certain store frequented by the 'beautiful people' in Manchester and saw their display case of blinged out phones. It really does get the point home that "this is not your kind of store" and you know the most impressive part is this phone is restrained compared to the contents of that case. If you had so little taste that you would buy a phone and pay ten times the price of the electronics for a pretty tacky case then daddy who is likely footing the bill will be appalled you cannot buy class!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like