back to article Ethicists say Facebook's experiments not SO creepy

The Ethical Research Project has weighed into the argument over the ethics of Facebook's “creepy” social contagion research, doing the unthinkable: actually asking ordinary punters how they feel about being lab rats. Interestingly, the study suggests that users might have not felt too badly about the Facebook work, if anyone …

1. Mark 85

So, the "ethics boffins" didn't weigh in on the ethics of how this "experiment" was conducted but how people felt it? I gues my definition of ethics is different then theirs. I don't believe it matters how people feel but ethics is about something being done the right way. "Ethics boffins"? Let's try "trick cyclists" maybe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was impressed too

Americans talking about ethics, I wonder if their next survey will involve going to the Sahara to ask people about snow.

2. BlueGreen

@Mark 85

> So, the "ethics boffins" didn't weigh in on the ethics of how this "experiment" was conducted but how people felt it?

AFAICS 'how a person[*] feels about X' is the core of ethics. Thought experiment: if someone consciously doesn't mind X being done to them, can it be unethical? I'd say no.

Also they aren't 'ethics boffins', their website says (summary extracts) We use the tools of scientific inquiry to the understand the conditions under which research participants, and the public in general, consider research practices such as deception to be justifiable ... We conduct surveys to gauge the public's ethical response to controversial, or potentially controversial, experimental designs. They are essentially survey-takers. Try following the link before putting the boot in.

(none of the above is to defend facebook in any way)

[*] or other sufficiently complex entities

3. synonymous cowherd
      Childcatcher

Ethicists at facef@ck???

That Stuart Sheitter wrote this and it would appear he's very comfortable with the nature of herr Zuckerbergs online manipulations - See 3.2 of the document. WTF, facef@ck has an IRB? Of course all participants had the right to wihdraw from the study, yeh right.

2. John Bailey

Ahh yes. I can see it now..

Oh no officer.. I wasn't shoplifting.. I was studying the security measures the shop employs, as I walked out with this 42 inch flat screen under my arm.. I just umm.. didn’t see fit to let them know beforehand.

That'll hold up in court.. right?

3. dan1980

It's always 'tempting' to assume that people are swayed by the media but the researchers offer the following 'alternate hypothesis' which I feel is likely the more accurate one:

"Yet another alternate hypothesis is that those who are most likely to disapprove of the ethics of the Face-book experiment, or of research studies in general, were more likely to seek out hear about it from friends or see coverage of it in the media."

For example, those in tech circles are more likely to be privacy-oriented and also more likely to read tech blogs and news sites (like this), that will have coverage.

4. Grikath

it's not an experiment...

If ith hathn'th got a lighthning rod sthrappeth tho ith!

That being said ethics** ( the biology Boffin variety) , and Ethics ( the trick-cyclists variety) are two different beasts, and the confusion of the two regularly gives rise to this kind of fun.

** The one where option "whack-you-over-the head-if-you displease-me" is a valid, and general purpose option. This is why biologists tend to just Grin at trick cyclists. They can defend the Ook! option, and usually are able to get away with it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jawhol, Herr Zuckerberg!

Only idiots put their names and fortunes on public media sites like facebook and Twitter. They are rather like houses of ill repute. You just might pick up something that will ride you home.

6. Tom Chiverton 1

What about OKCupid who deliberately sent people on dates with people who they weren't compatabile with ? That's the opposite of the service they payed for...

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

What about OKCupid?

The service is free; they were not being bilked out of money by getting something other than they put down their hard-earned for. They were merely lied to, so that's all right then.

2. The last doughnut

Similar to recruitment agencies who will offload their most inept candidates first - thereby pulling the same trick on the understaffed companies who pay them for their services.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like