back to article NASA Mars rover FINALLY equals 1973 Soviet benchmark

The plucky Opportunity rover-droid, whose wheels first touched the red Martian dirt back in 2004, has trundled past the 25 mile mark for the first time and in so doing claimed humanity's off-world long distance driving record. NASA records that Opportunity went for a 48 metre trundle on July 27th and in so doing saw its …

1. MrT

Keep on keeping on...

...it's always good to see how this rover keeps going, although I now get a niggling thought more often these days that it'll be Earth-side funding issues that will stop this adventure, rather than anything specific with the vehicle itself...

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      WTF?

Over a km more??

If it's now done over a km more than the previous record ("That's over a kilometre more than the Lunokhod 2 the Soviet Union sent to the Moon in 1973 managed"), and it moved less than 50m on it's last jaunt ("Opportunity went for a 48 metre trundle on July 27th and in so doing saw its odometer tick over to 25.01 miles (40.25 kilometres)"), doesn't that mean that it actually broke the record a long time ago?

In fact if it's moving at 4.2km a year and that's pretty even throughout the year, it's broken the record about 3 months ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

The length of the modern marathon was defined by the distance between the centre of Windsor and the former White City stadium rather than by anything Greek.

1. tomban
      Joke

And now they're called Snickers.

3. Allonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Obligatory XKCD reference

http://xkcd.com/695/

(Yes, I know it's the other rover. Still a great strip though.)

4. WraithCadmus
    Terminator

Choose your robotic resilience...

"Beware, I live!"

or

"I still function!"

5. Down not across

Heading for Marathon Valley

So the rover is controlled by Durandal? Better watch out for Pfhor. Maybe it turns out the planet is actually Lh'owon.

6. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Slowpoke Curiosity?

Was a bit surprised to read this - having thought Curiosity with its greater oomph would have done that in a fortnight.

Then even more surprised when googling told me that as of Jan 2014, Curiosity had only just passed 3miles/5km!

I mean there's stopping to smell^H^H^H^H^Hlaser-blast the roses^H^H^H^H^Hrocks, but this is just dawdling! ;-)

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Slowpoke Curiosity?

Curiosity killed the cat.

Dogs have been known to attack cats.

Therefore: Curiosity is a dog.

So it's not surprising that it stops and dawdles at every insignificant bump and hollow like a dog on its first outing!

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

Cheers Opportunity!

your plucky grit and determination are inspiring to all us meatbags.

8. CCCP

The plucky little robots...

Random, but it makes my daughter's eyes mist up every time I tell her about the robots on Mars, especially Spirit...

Damn you Pixar and your Wall-e for imbuing robots with way too much personality.

Although, maybe if all boffins actually cared about their robots they wouldn't screw up their metrics and imperials.

1. Michael Habel

Re: The plucky little robots...

Damn you Pixar and your Wall-e for imbuing robots with way too much personality.

Hay hold on I though that, that was the job of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation to imbue Robots with GPPs....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"That the vehicle is still fully functional more than eleven years after its launch is remarkable"

Shhhh!!! You'll jinx things talking about that! Especially considering that NASA bought a 12-year extended warranty when they got Opportunity, and we all know what happens when warranties expire...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "That the vehicle is still fully functional more than eleven years ...

It doesn't come with a warranty - so they left the warranty timer out to save money

10. DocJames
    Pint

Interesting that the Russians managed to get so far in 1973. I appreciate the moon's not as far to send your little robot friend, but once out of the gravity well you're half way anywhere...

And I've seen "cutting edge" 1970s Russian tech, when sitting in a MiG in a Cuban field. It was scary enough on the ground; I'd not want to try taking through the sound barrier. I still wonder how they managed to remain competitive in the space race.

Beer, cos there's no vodka icon. And Opportunity deserves a toast

1. Michael Habel

I still wonder how they managed to remain competitive in the space race.

Against who exactly? The Japanese, Chinese, South Korea or the Indians? If you meant the US.... I thought the exited the Stage already.

2. cray74

"Interesting that the Russians managed to get so far in 1973. I appreciate the moon's not as far to send your little robot friend, but once out of the gravity well you're half way anywhere..."

It's all about the distance as it applies to control and risk.

Lunokhod was directly remote controlled from Earth. The operator only had to contend with 3 seconds of delay, so it was feasible to steer from Earth with a bit of care. If you screw up, you'll figure it out within 3 seconds and can correct it.

That bypasses the entire headache of Mars rover operation, which is built around containing the risk stemming from many minutes of speed-of-light delay. As a result, ordering the rovers about entails pre-mapping the course; having humans double-checking to see if the rover's internal logic is spotting the same hazards as terrestrial observers; planning a route for the rover to execute with its local logic; holding a committee meeting to vote on the course; holding committee meetings to laboriously set science objectives ever few tens of meters; and so on.

The Mars rover programs do all that because if they start steering for a cliff (or if your next software update bricks the rover's computer) then you're not even going to see the rover's perspective as it drives off the cliff. The rovers don't deliver a continuous data feed even with the speed of light delay, they do uploads and downloads. You'll just get a big, fat "no signal" from Mars on the next download attempt and will be left wondering what happened.

So, Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, and Curiosity are moving slowwwly and cautiously.

11. Herby

Now if they built cars this way...

Of course we would all be going around 5 MPH, and having daily runs of 20 feet or so.

JPL had a pretty good record when it comes to building things. They have a couple of boxes escaping the solar system. A bunch of vehicles on Mars, and other things. All in all if it lasts thru "infant mortality" (check your unit conversions), they are bound to last a while. The engineers there would make Howard Wolowitz be very proud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like