back to article CAPTCHA challenges you to copy pointillist painter Seurat's classic

A chap called Guy Abbott has created a CAPTCHA that asks you to take a swing at imitating pointillist painter Georges-Pierre Seurat. The CAPTCHA is available on the Contact Form on Abbott's site, which depicts an excerpt of Parade de Cirque, a painting in Seurat's famed €œpointillist style comprised of small dots of colour …

1. Barry Rueger

Another Tech That Should Die

Am I alone in sometimes abandoning forms and forum posts just because the CAPTCHA is so stupidly useless that I can't be bothered?

Am I alone in finding that usually I have refresh the damned thing three or four times before I can even GUESS what letters or numbers it wants?

Am I alone in wishing that the idiots who use this technology would at least tell me if it's case sensitive?

I suspect that CAPTCHAs have become like copy protection schemes in the eighties and nineties - intensely irritating for end users, and useless against the people that you're trying to block.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Another Tech That Should Die

Concur. And you're not alone.

1. Adam 1

I completely agree with Jake.

/WTF JUST HAPPENED

1. VinceH

"/WTF JUST HAPPENED"

Just keep checking the news for signs of an apocalypse.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find that the ones that are bastard hard are the fault of the site admin. 4chan had the same problem because every post view called captcha. They rerwrote it to only call captcha when you clicked to post. This meant that the number of failed (including unanswered) capchas was considerably less than before, and they got easier because the success rate went up dramatically. I could find moot's post about it, but I've got to work.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

More than once I've thought about running a Lenslok emulator over a Capcha image to see if it makes more sense...

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

For more entertainment, the CAPTCHA could present a series of Ishihara tests.

2. jake Silver badge

"Instead, you'll be offered another pointillismless challenge"

There, fixed that for you. You're quite welcome, no charge.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

re: Guy Abbott being persecuted by the Police force and MI5

Shame on 'Guy Abbott', making fun of the afflicted. Now remind me again why we need Captchas?

4. Ole Juul

That was really irritating

Like a spoon with a hole in it.

1. Thorne

Re: That was really irritating

Some spoons are meant to have holes in them. This is completely useless

5. NP-Hardass

Quite simple, really..

The guy just doesn't want people to contact him, but doesn't want to be SUPER obvious about that fact.

1. Mark 85

Re: Quite simple, really..

But he wants publicity or he wouldn't have a website. The CAPTCHA got the attention of El Reg. The rest of his website is... well... somewhat, I think the right word is "interesting".

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Flash for security?

I'll need the website admin to give me a call on the phone to prove that he/she is not a hijacked machine before I enable Flash to prove that I am not a... Never mind. Where's the latest Buzzgasm...

7. Allan George Dyer

Easier to complete for a machine...

A program could make mouse movements accurately, based on the challenge image, only a human would produce a semi-random mess. Abbott wants machines, not humans, to comment.

8. cracked
    Gimp

So, can MI5 agents paint, or not?

I couldn't work it out. Well I could, but then I got quite worried.

I can't paint. I didn't try the flash-app - more out of laziness than having too much to hide ... But I have reported Kevin (above) to the authorities just to be safe - Because I already knew I couldn't paint.

So, as I am not an MI5 agent, MI5 agents must be able to paint. Either that, or I am a sleeper agent (which - although a bit of a worry - would be quite cool ... I wonder what my trigger word is?).

Anyway; this then made me worry why someone, who on the face of it is claiming to be persecuted by MI5, would only be reporting to the British Prime Minister respondents whom he had identified as not being MI5 agents?

And it was at this point I started to worry over my reporting of Kevin (above) - But there's no point worrying about what can't be fixed, is there?

And it was right about then that I really started to worry.

What does happen if you are able to pass the test?

I mean, every decent painter in the world can't be an MI5 agent, can they?! It might not be MI5 agents he's phishing for at all! It might be ... well I don't know - What kind of stuff do painters get up to? What kind of secret association might the person known only as Guy be looking to initiate?

I really was quite worried indeed.

Thankfully, much like Kevin (above), I don't run scripts and so not very much of the site worked ... But just to be safe I bought a new computer and buried the one I'd used to view Guy's site (I am obviously not putting where I buried it).

I'm now just left hoping that Kevin (above) hasn't shopped me!

9. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Coat

The next obvious steps in captcha town

"Please duplicate Madonna's Vogue gestures with your webcam"

"Please whistle Bohemian Rhapsody using your microphone"

"Give me your boots your clothes and your motorcycle"

Not to mention the TOS of sites will probably claim ownership of all your works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: The next obvious steps in captcha town

"Now remove your clothes and turn on the webcam".

1. Fungus Bob

Re: The next obvious steps in captcha town

"Now remove your clothes and turn on the webcam"

I did that and my webcam went blind...

2. Kane
      Coat

Re: The next obvious steps in captcha town@Sandtitz

All Your Works Are Belong To Us?

10. Neil Woolford

Am I alone in seeing the word...

...cunt in challenge two?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Am I alone in seeing the word...

Pull up a chair...Now tell me about your mother....

2. sibster

Re: Am I alone in seeing the word...

I am seeing it aswell

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSFW?

I have a nasty feeling that rather than being just a weird captcha, this is actually a chap trying to make a political point with a 'copy this naughty word' in the second captcha. Which is fine, but may not be appropriate for the PR it's getting in these parts. (I'd have mentioned this via the comments system except I'm at work - catch22)

12. Fihart

CAPTCHA doesn't work on phones.

Will someone tell Yahoo Mobile's designers that putting a CAPTCHA hurdle between signing in for a new password makes the process unusable.

For a start the new CAPTCHA version has not only jumbled letters you have to enter but a swirling mass of other characters behind. Virtually impossible to read on a small screen. Do these people never test stuff for usability ?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: CAPTCHA doesn't work on phones.

Do these people never test stuff for usability ?

Of course. It's just the testers were unable to log on to the test system due to failing the CAPTCHAs, deadline was upon them, so they just released...

It's obvious, from all the ones I've done, that no-one's ever tested them on anyone with less than perfect vision.

Then again, I've tried a few of the audio ones, and despite having perfect hearing and only 5% of average sight, I still use the visual ones.

2. davidp231

Re: CAPTCHA doesn't work on phones.

Nigh-on impossible to read on a 20 inch screen as well. I end up going through at least 12 iterations before I find one I can actually make out.

13. ukgnome
    Mushroom

Oh just fuck off already

Bloody stupid prove you're a human bullshit.

Why not ask a knock knock joke or something else. I am so fed up with stupid CAPTCHA, and don't even get me started on the audio versions.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Oh just fuck off already

Huh? Just kidding, I fully agree, the CAPTCHA, can barely remember how to spell it let alone read one, is total BS. You're right, there has to be a better way to prove you're not a machine, I like the idea of humor, I hope that still sets us apart from machines.

14. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Facepalm

This all seems rather pointless (sic)

1. This will really piss off humans more than lame Catchas, so you get less quality traffic too!

2. OCR can already beat Catchas, and a bit of smart image processing code would probably beat this too; anyone with a botnet will probably laugh at this soon.

15. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Hey, the MI5 guy from Usenet is still alive!

I wonder if it's the same person or a follower, that shit be old!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like