back to article Samsung Z Tizen OS mobe is post-phoned – this time for good?

Samsung has postponed the launch of its new Samsung Z smartphone yet again, and given no indication of when we'll ever see the Tizen OS mobe on sale. The move delays the Samsung Z's world debut in Russia. The Linux-powered Z has been doing the rounds of developer conferences and events, but has yet to be spotted in the wild. …

1. ratfox

chicken, egg, etc.

I'm not sure if the effort should be admired or ridiculed. I guess Samsung is really not happy to be dependent on Google.

I wonder why they are going for Russia first. Maybe that is considered an easier big market where Microsoft is not already trying to grab whatever's left after Android and iOs…? I'm not sure it helps finding developers, though.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: chicken, egg, etc.

Why the Ruskies : Simple, they want to test the hackability and there is probably no better place to try it out.

2. eclairz
    Joke

Looks like Google has been putting pressure of Samsung to delay the hell out of Tizen to make it into another Nokia N9 Meego phone, alternatively Google has put another Elop wannabe trojan in charge.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a real product but a piece of vapourware to keep Google in line.

Any time that Samsung isn't happy with Google they start showing off this phone to focus their minds.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many developers would want to hop on that bandwagon now? Write and app today, no one buys it because no one has the phone, Samsung doesn't want to sell the phone because there are not enough apps. Is Tizen the chicken or the egg?

5. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Bada late than never

Boom boom! See what I did there? Cleverly use the name of another of Samsungs equally successful attempt at leaving the mothership with a witty pun.

Or maybe not.

6. Hubert Thrunge Jr.

perhaps..

They're busy working on an Android compatibility layer, like Jolla have in Sailfish OS, and BlackBerry have in OS 10.

I know it's going to seem like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face, but it means you hit the ground running with lots of apps available while native ones are written or ported.

The Jolla Sailfish app store is steadily growing, even as the Droid compatible layer gets improved.

Yes, this could just be a ploy to rattle Google, but Tizen is more than just a phone OS.

7. Levente Szileszky

This is projectware...

...nothing else at this point. At least Blackberry realized - almost too late but at least they did it - it's the lesser of two evils to piggyback on another ecosystem for apps (ie Android.)

The Koreans probably realized that being this late to the party means that trying to do all the heavy lifting (ie fostering new OS ecosystem) alone is a herculean task even for the most established OS giants like MSFT, so it would definitely break the back of any newcomer OS, even if its sugar daddy (Samsung) is otherwise among the richest guys on the (mobile) block...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like