back to article LOHAN's stirring motto: Ad Astra Tabernamque

It's official: The stirring motto for our audacious Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) ballocket mission is Ad Astra Tabernamque. The public vote came down firmly in favour of us heading both to the stars and the pub, and we're not going to argue with that. Per Cervisiam Ad Astra ("Through Beer To The Stars") and …

1. A K Stiles
    Pint

Good work guys

Have one on me. (not the Vacuum frozen kind though, unless the alternative is Carling)

2. EddieD

Hmm.

Vacuum distillation.

Send up beer - bring back whisky.

Just a thought.

1. Allan George Dyer
      Pint

Re: Hmm.

Regrettably, the opposite. The water will freeze first, and the alcohol boil first.

Have a fresh one, to inspire a new idea.

3. Tweetiepooh

You'd have to have something non-gassy

so lager, nasty fizzy ciders (cidres) are out. Wonder about a nice mug of scrumpy. (Would we get calvados?)

Best use for the fruit machine and other nonsense is ballast and drop it to plummet back to earth.

Darts could be fun as would dominoes as played in certain quarters which is far removed from the genteel game seen in some pubs.

And judging by the general lack of aim found in many pub gents, the urinals would also be interesting.

4. Pet Peeve

It's pithy, fits nicely on a patch, and "tabernamque" is fun to say out loud. Good choice.

1. Captain DaFt

Serious question

Not being anywhere close to a Latin Scholar and Google is surprisingly reticent.

How do you pronounce "tabernamque"?

'Taber-namk'?

'taber-nam-que'?

'fruit-john-jelly-roll'?

OK, that last one was silly, but the question is real.

1. Irony Deficient

Serious answer

Captain DaFt, the reconstructed classical Latin pronunciation would be [tɐ.bɛrˈnɐm.kwɛ] (or approximately “tuh-bear-NUM-kweh” in English phonetics, where “tuh” sounds like tub without the letter B, “bear” is rhotic (with an audible R — as pronounced in North America), and “kweh” sounds like quell without the letters L). I think that it would have the same pronunciation in ecclesiastical Latin, in case you feel a hymn coming on.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Serious answer

Thanks, that was definitely informative!

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Serious answer

I would expect it's probably a motto most easily pronounced after it's applied, ie after launch, retirement to pub and imbibing of several pints of non-stratospheric ale...

Or at least doing so would suitably increase the merriment of your audience when you did attempt it.

5. Sir Runcible Spoon

Freezing Gassy Alchohol

I put a bottle of Champagne in the freezer once to cool it down quickly but then forgot about it.

When we opened the freezer door we were amazed to see the bottle had exploded, but had not fallen apart, so there were bits of glass on the end of tendrils of frozen champagne, a snapshot of the explosion if you will.

It was beautiful and well worth the financial loss involved.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Freezing Gassy Alchohol

Pics or it didn't happen.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        IT Angle

Re: Freezing Gassy Alchohol

I wish I had gotten pics of it, just like I wish I'd gotten a pic of my old dog's 'sparkle-shit'.

She sneaked into the bathroom and ate a bar of lush soap (non-foaming thank God) - one of those bars shaped like a scarab beetle and full of sparkle dust.

I was on dog-shit patrol in the garden and it was a sunny day when I saw what, in retrospect, was a work of art. A wonderfully formed string of dog-poo that was shimmering in the sunlight like some kind of Damien-Hurst beating Turner prize. Oh how I wish I had frozen that and put it in to an exhibition - I reckon it would win hands down! :D So although you can't polish a turd, it turns out you can at least make it shine!

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

MMXIV or 11111011110

Don't forget to add the date so when the future archaeologists dig up the bits that went missing, they'll at least know when little plastic people first tried to invade colonise the stratosphere

Footnote: Oh look. Next year (2015) is a mirror image year 11111011111

1. Cliff

Re: MMXIV or 11111011110

Palindromic binary years, that's pretty damn geeky. +1 just for that.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: MMXIV or 11111011110

"Pretty geeky"? It's the mutt's nuts of geekery, and no messing.

7. Mr_Pitiful

When is the....

Flight going to be. Any Ideas?

Re: When is the....

Yes, we have several ideas. Sadly none of them is at the moment more concrete than a sloppy slurry with a bit of gravel thrown in. When we know, you lot will be the first to know.

8. Irony Deficient
    Pint

Congratulations!

This triumph demands some blatant thievery from a Horatian ode:

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero

pulsanda tellus; nunc Saliaribus

ornare pulvinar deorum

tempus erat dapibus, sodales.

9. Dave Bell

A Bicycle Built for Brew

Poul Anderson wrote the seminal beer-in-space story, published in 1958.

A Bicycle Built for Brew

It was his collaborator Gordy Dickson who wrote the seminal bear-in-space stories. Don't confuse them.

10. Petrea Mitchell
    Boffin

Zero-g brewing?

It is obligatory at this point to mention Duane Elms's song "The Terrific Centrifugal Still".

1. Christoph

Re: Zero-g brewing?

Actually that's by Bill Sutton, though Duane may well have sung it.

Come and see Bill and Brenda at Loncon 3 next month!

11. Dr. Heinrich Backhausen

Hmm, it is - quite logical - accusative, so it is 'Ad astras tabernamque.,' assuming that the plural, stars, is meant. The singular, star, would be simple astram

Astras?

Nope - accusative plural of astrum is indeed astra.

12. Hope Spirals
    Alien

Consider the Aliens

Please continue the good work and testing using London Pride.

However, I beg you to find a decent pint for the dry run onwards. Consider the implications of allowing LP to escape into the know universe - it might just be the last piece of evidence the Vogons require.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon