back to article Swell. Apple buys 'Pandora-for-talk-radio' app... for $30 meeellion

Can you hear that message crackling over the airwaves? No? Perhaps you need to stop using that rusty old radio and replace it with a gleaming iThing from Apple. That could be an option soon if rumours that Apple is preparing to buy "Pandora-for-talk-radio" service Swell are to be believed. The fruity firm is thought to have …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Join Our Android Beta" says the button.

I wonder how long that will last.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

how long?

Well, if Apple want to keep selling Muzak then there is no reason why it won't.

There is an iTunes client for Windows so why not Android? Perhaps Google won't allow it to appear in the Play store?

IMHO, the iTunes business is all about selling content.and Apple taking their cut. Very different LOB to selling kit.

With the apparent popularity of services like spotify in the US perhaps this could be their own challenger to that segment?

Personally, I do listen to Podcasts but in a totally off-line manner.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

we're pretty sure the Beeb won't ever sell itself to Apple

How sure? Given the most recent illogical pronouncement from Lord Tony - that the BBC should be allowed to buy in 100% of its material, while making quality programmes for other people - I wouldn't be at all surprised at the suggestion.

After all, the Beeb's not worth anything like all those spare dollars in Apple's coffers.

(Although Apple might still be a bit sore about iPlayer...)

1. Big_Ted
      Facepalm

Re: we're pretty sure the Beeb won't ever sell itself to Apple

Boy are you wrong.

The value of the library of content the BBC has is worth billions, add to that the hundreds of millions that BBC worldwide make each year even with the restrictions on it.

If the BBC had a free hand to do what it wanted then it would be one of the biggest companies in the world on the basis of value and you could kiss goodbye to ITV, channel 4 and five.....

Apple would love to buy it and would offer 10's if not hundreds of billions to get it.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: we're pretty sure the Beeb won't ever sell itself to Apple

Indeed. I worked there a long long time and I have an extremely high regard for what it used to be; less so now.

Tens of billions? Probably - though I doubt hundreds - and as we are told Apple is sitting on a hundred and fifty billion or so...

Fortunately, it's not likely to happen. Unless the Chancellor gets hungry.

3. Immenseness

Sigh

"you don’t have to make decisions about what to listen to. Swell figures it out for you.”

I can't really be bothered to listen to it myself. When will someone make an app that figures out what I should listen to and listens to it for me as well?

</ffs>

1. BillG
      Joke

Re: Sigh

"you don’t have to make decisions about what to listen to. Swell figures it out for you.”

I need an app to help me figure out what app I need to figure out for me what I should listen to.

4. ForthIsNotDead
    Flame

Here's a suggestion:

“Swell is great, because, like Pandora, you don’t have to make decisions about what to listen to. Swell figures it out for you.”

Just fuck off, okay?

Thanks.

5. Gannettt

Talk Radio

So just a load of right-wing nutters, then. I truly wish the iPlayer app was available to us outside the UK, being some sanity to this place!

1. Dr_N

Re: Talk Radio

You don't need iPlayer for BBC Radio

Tunein works fine.

2. jzlondon

Re: Talk Radio

iPlayer works well abroad. You just need to use a UK VPN, of which there are many - some free, some paid. Even the best ones cost only a couple of pounds a month and almost all work on Android, iOS and desktops.

6. Fungus Bob
    Coat

Its been Swell

But the swelling's gone down...

Mine's the one with the ice packs in the pockets

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like