back to article Vote now for LOHAN's stirring mission patch motto

It's been a blast, but after some serious linguistic tomfoolery, the time has come to decide on a stirring motto to adorn our proposed Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission patch. A proposed LOHAN mission patch Thanks to everyone who contributed, and you can see how our beloved readers gave Latin a right …

1. Beornfrith

I may have only been registered for a pitifully short time but I have read El Reg for over ten years. It's a lovely feeling to see my suggestion up there on the shortlist. The notion of "The Heavens Beckon" is upsettingly timely as, sadly, my grandmother passed away in the night just gone.

Good luck to all the submissions. Lohan will be suitably adorned, regardless of the winner!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Our condolences and thanks for the submission, which is a worthy contender.

1. Beornfrith

Thank you, Lester. Very much appreciated.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ða Heofenas Beacnian

Er, isn't that Anglo-Saxon ?

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Ða Heofenas Beacnian

When in Britain...

1. Vector

Re: Ða Heofenas Beacnian

But I thought the SPB was in Spain...

Re: Re: Ða Heofenas Beacnian

We are a broad church, with tentacles across the world.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I had thought about it enough the old Moonfleet slogan would of been appropiate, but perhaps a bit long

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima jactura arte corrigenda est"

4. Anonymous Custard
    Headmaster

Vote?

OK, I know it's Friday afternoon and I've just seen my name and submission in an el Reg article and all that, but where do we vote? Am I missing something here, or is the actual poll to come later and elsewhere?

Re: Vote?

The poll's at the bottom of the article. If you can't see it, there's something wrong at your end.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Pint

Cheres big man. Bloody work proxy server, trying to get us to do work on a Friday! I ask you...

Can't see it that way via IE, but via the back-door wifi network and Android, all fine and voted.

And as I just missed out on the shortlist, you can stick a mission patch in the tree where LOHAN finally lands instead ;)

2. Someone Else Silver badge
        Unhappy

OK, Lester

Here's what is at the bottom of the article:

Entertaining stuff, but let's cut to the chase. Here's our final selection, with some Italian (courtesy of Dante, line 125 here), Anglo-Saxon and even good old Blightyspeak thrown into the mix.

All of the contributors whose offerings made the final cut will get one of the finished embroidered mission patches, and we'll have to decide just who was ultimately responsible for Ad Astra Tabernamque and Per Cervisiam Ad Astra.

Onwards and upwards...

More from the lovely LOHAN:

followed by the boilerplate stuff that adorns every LOHAN article.

Now I'm not seeing any links, there are no flyovers or anything that indicates where we're supposed to vote. I do use Firefox, with NoScript. Is there one of those goofy no-name additional sites that needs to be enabled? (I tried enabling stumbleupon.com and stumble-upon.com, but neither of those helped.)

So please, Sir, a clue?

Re: Re: Vote?

Javascript. Poll's there for everyone else. Check your settings.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

OK...Now which domain's javascript do I need to enable?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Per effusum ad astra

Testes! Ego sero... :(

6. PKM

I think it's a shame "De ebrietate, ingenium" didn't make it onto the list- it hits that sweet spot by being pithy, correct Latin but also easily translatable for an english speaker who knows the word "inebriated".

7. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Awesomesauce

I am super excited to have made the shortlist. Went on my lunchbreak with a false moustache and suglasses which must have worked as I didn't get papped.

Also, all this latin reminds me a of the execution scene in Top Secret, still one of the greatest movies ever made.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Awesomesauce

Latrine!

8. Pet Peeve

I think the "various" one best captures the spirit of Lohan, but the Various includes Lester himself - he posted that exact phrase first IIRC, after some similar ideas (I turned it around as "To the stars, with beer").

I am rather fond of "To boldy go where angels fear to tread", but I guess the Reg doesn't have enough infocom fans.

9. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Merchandising ?

Will El Reg readers be offered a chance to buy themselves one of these patches ? Or get a baseball cap with the design ?

We need a "Ker-Ching" icon ....

10. Joe Loughry

by hard work, into a tree

per ardua, ad arbor is going to be painted on the next kite I build, thanks!

(Since I can't vote for that one, I voted for the shed.)

11. Thomas 4

Shame I missed the submission date, otherwise I'd have gone with "From Beer to Eternity."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like