back to article Termination charges drop smacks Vodafone and EE in the WALLET

The reduction in how much mobile networks receive for handling incoming calls has hit both Vodafone and EE so hard that they have both separated out the charges in interim financial reports. Brit multinational Vodafone announced a global drop in its revenue of 4.2 per cent for the quarter while UK mobile firm EE's financials …

1. Banksy

EE - more committed?

T-mobile / EE lost me as a customer (of 10+ years) this year because they do not want 'more committed' customers. They want saps who will pay megabucks for their contract and/or switch to 4G. I said goodbye and moved to GiffGaff.

1. Shrimpling

Re: EE - more committed?

None of the networks want a committed customer... its all about getting new customers so you can show off you have got x number of new subscribers this year.

They never seem to mentions how many customers have left their network.

2. IsJustabloke

EE / Orange lost me as a customer after 12 + years

last April because I got fed up with being asked to bend over. Ironically I moved to Vodafone, honestly in terms of service provision I am considerably worse off than I was under Orange but as I repeatedly explained to them, I have no other way of registering my protest at them and so even if I end up with worse service They've left me no choice.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: EE / Orange lost me as a customer after 12 + years

"They've left me no choice."

Haven't you just described your choice? Better service at a higher price or poorer service at a lower price.

3. Tsung

EE Lost me as a customer

It was the amount of forced apps they insisted on putting on my phone (Galaxy S3 at the time) which finally did it for me. I didn't want Free Games, Lookout Basic and all the other tosh they forced onto my phone. OFC. there was no option to delete this shovelware and the phone ended up running like toffee.

Contact ended, I terminated it, and went else where.

1. Chris Redpath

Re: EE Lost me as a customer

I find if you use one of the many-network shops (phones4u, carphone warehouse) you get a regular old phone which doesn't contain the network cack. It still contains the manufacturer cack though.

As a bonus, all the ones I've bought don't come sim or network locked either.

4. shifty_powers
    Holmes

EE

I have to admit that the first thing I do with any phone now is root it and put a custom rom on it. Not only do I get rid of the crap put on there by the operator but I have far more control over the software on my phone, what I can do with it and far more frequent updates. (Must admit, XDA forums are a godsend).

As for EE they are ok as long as they leave me alone. I generally get the phone from Carphone Warehouse or similar and I avoid 4G. I still think it is a waste of time and I would rather have the battery life from 3G as the data rate is more than sufficient for what I want. On top of that it meant I could get unlimited minutes and texts with 3Gb of data for £40 a month, with the latest smartphone...

1. K
      Thumb Up

Re: EE

Get your phones through CPW or Phones4u, that way they are unlocked and the only bloatware is the default stuff from the Manufacturers.. but like you I root it, which removes the crap and allows you to install decent ad blockers.

1. Gavin Chester

Flash you warranty away..

Unfortunately (and this is from experience) replacing the ROM blows away the warranty the networks and manufacturer will not be interested in repairs even if the fault is not down to the software but a physical fault.

I can understand not supporting the software ,I disagree that changing the ROM affects or causes hardware faults but that's what happened to me

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Flash you warranty away..

Not sure they'd fight that claim were you to take it to small claims court

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like