back to article Apple orders huge MOUNTAIN of 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s

Apple has told its suppliers to build a mighty mountain of 70 to 80 million new iPhone 6s. The new Jesus handset is expected to come in two sizes and arrive this year. This means that the number of brand-new iPhones could match the population of Germany, which is inhabited by slightly more than 80 million souls, and totally …

1. Brainman

As a Galaxy Note User...

As a Galaxy Note user since 2011 I have been much derided by iPhone fanbois for the size of my phone. It was functional and never a substitute for anything.

I expect an apology. In writing. To my mom for upsetting her little boy.

Also why I here long term Android features like a functional notification bar, exchangeable keyboards and proper sharing between apps are also about to be blatently reimagined by our friends in Cupertino and will then be considered by fanbois as Apple's idea in the first place. Who remembers that late additions to iOS such as MMS, Multitasking and Cut & Paste. iOS7 & 8 innovations are simply reengineering of Android and trying to do things better but in a locked down way.

The stylus will be Apple's next invention...

1. tirk
      Mushroom

Re: As a Galaxy Note User...

Whoever invents the mute button for these pathetic phone wars gets my eternal praise. Honestly, leave it in the playground!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whoever invents the mute button for these pathetic phone wars gets my eternal praise. Honestly, leave it in the playground!

Yup. Although the "mute" switch is probably also the best feature of an iPhone :)

2. Otto is a bear.

I use both, both have their good and bad points, but I find myself using the iPhone the most. But I do wish the iPhone came with a proper bar code scanner, and NFT readers. The Galaxy keyboard software is better as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But I do wish the iPhone came with a proper bar code scanner

It's not a default App, but there are plenty scanners out there. It's even a data entry field of TapForms, a database program.

3. lurker

Apple don't copy, they "retroinnovate".

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: retroinnovate

Retroinnovating the stylus - that would be the Newton?

4. jai

"never a substitute for anything"

yes, people who drive Porsches and Ferraris say exactly the same thing

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who remembers MMS?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Who remembers MMS?"

My Mum keeps sending me MMS's even though I've explained to her my Australian provider (Telstra) doesn't support her UK MMS's so stop sending them Mum! I just get an SMS with a 'Download' button that doesn't work, probably because I don't have a data plan.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also why I here long term Android features like a functional notification bar, exchangeable keyboards and proper sharing between apps are also about to be blatently reimagined by our friends in Cupertino and will then be considered by fanbois as Apple's idea in the first place

Ah yes when I watched the WWDC where they talked about all the new features and APIs including the new coding language for writing apps and a flatter more vibrant coherent lick of paint over one of their operating systems that would form the template for app writers to follow when designing their apps I thought to myse..... oh wait that was the Google I/O a month or two later

1. Mike Bell

Ah yes when I watched the WWDC where they talked about all the new features and APIs including...

Ha ha! You told that little story with the same conviction as Al 'The Landlord' Murray saying he was never confused. Next, you'll be hanging around Apple Stores just to see how bad they are!

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MMS, Multitasking etc.

I have literally never used MMS on any mobile device. All have had email which was always the cheaper option. Egotistical asshats use MMS. Multitasking was, is and always will be a canard. Much like Flash was. How that working out for you? I'll give you copy and paste; though the implementation is Android is bollocks.

8. ThomH

I was once made fun of by a girl for wearing brightly-coloured trainers. Later I saw a different girl praising brightly-coloured trainers. This proves that all women are hypocrites and that the lot of them owe me an apology.

9. RobTub

Yea, the first iPhone was a shameless copy of one of Samsung's phones then. Yea, the appstore concept was also a direct copy of Samsung's. Yea, Apple's retail concept was nothing but a copy of Samsung's retail store then. Happy? Momma's boy?

2. John Lilburne

New opportunities ...

... for 5yo Asian kids them.

1. tmTM

I thought

Apple had stopped working with Samsung??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought

Sorry fandroids, you don't get to play that card anymore. In fact you shouldn't've in the first place...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or the rather more sophisticated gold ..... 5S.

In this case, don't you mean <essex>sofisticaa'ed</essex>

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: or the rather more sophisticated gold ..... 5S.

Well, the the word "sophisticated" was originally meant as an insult, meaning superficial, false, decadent, impure and/or morally corrupted*

Also of relevance to the racial diversity of Apple's advertising, the word was also briefly used as a racial slur for someone whose skin wasn't appropriately white, and took from there it's meaning of "tainted by travel, or contact with foreign places and people". When being widely-travelled or foreign became an interesting and desirable thing, the word stopped being an insult.

* = compare with "sophistry", which still retains that meaning. It was ultimately a derogatory reference to Sophia, the Greek goddess of wisdom and thus philosophers, "philo-Sophia" being the love of wisdom.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

'Well, the the word "sophisticated" was originally meant as an insult, meaning superficial, false, decadent, impure and/or morally corrupted* '

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think calling someone a sophist was the insult, not calling them sophisticated.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

hey...

...they are making 500million iPhone 7's so says my secret insider. It will be thinner and have a better battery life.

Can you now devote a rumour page to me?

The Register, part of Apple Marketing inc.

5. jai

always take the cosine

This is for the iWatch number predictions from a week or two ago, but equally applicable to this article on iPhone:

http://verynicewebsite.net/2014/07/all-the-iwatches/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Incredibly hard, long bulges in fanboi pockets this year"

You probably think that's funny don't you?

;)

7. jmkni

As a Moto G user

£100 sim free, does everything I want it to do, why would I want anything more?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a Moto G user

I've just decided to jump ship from iphone to a Moto g 4g. Almost every iteration of IOS has become worse and more buggy. When the iphone was launched it was truly innovative when compared to the other phones then available. put simply - everything just worked. Android has now caught up, and in many instances is significantly better.

The real kicker for me jumping ship, is that I will no longer have to use Itunes, but will be able to administrate the media on *my* device myself. No more 2 hour waits whilst it decides to re-index my small music library for no reason!

1. El_Fev

Jump ship if you want as a Samsung 3 mini users all I can do is wish you well. Hopefully you will continue to get OS updates, rather than having your phone left to rot after 1 generation, unless you want to root the sucker.

Apple at least update until your hardware is not physical possible of running the system,

1. Vince

Yes they do indeed update it more often, however:

(A) On Android most of the stuff is an App and not in the OS itself, so the functionality itself gets regular updates.

(B) Most of what Apple adds is stuff Android has had for several versions at least now, so it's not such a benefit getting what everyone else already had.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Rooting is trivial - and most users don't bother with any manufacturer update.

SGS2, running latest/greatest cyanogen.

1. Philip Lewis

I got a Samsung something-or-other as a cast off, that I wanted to use as a spare while traveling.

Foolishly I decided I would root and cyanogen it.

Bricked.

It is not quite as trivial, or foolproof as fandroids like to claim

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"When the iphone was launched it was truly innovative when compared to the other phones then available."

When the iPhone launched it didn't even have 3G, it wasn't innovative in anyway at all (every last thing the iPhone V1 had had been done before). Apple is not an innovative company, they simply take the ideas that people have been struggling with for a decade and then make them work and put them together in a product they can link into their payment systems.

I personally think it's a fantastic way to approach consumer level devices, you always have happier customers when your testing department actually does their job rather than forcing your customers to do that job instead. A happy customer is a returning customer and you can't argue with the profits they are making.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That the entire concept was ripped off of iPhone OS, I'd keep your gob shut. Glass houses and all that. Fandroid.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: they simply take the ideas that people have been struggling with for a decade...

" ... and then make them work ..."

Yeah - anyone could do that! They just don't because, erm ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doesn't do 4G and unless you don't use your phone very much, I can't see why you'd not want 4G...

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

"Doesn't do 4G and unless you don't use your phone very much, I can't see why you'd not want 4G..."

The Moto G 4G does do 4G though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. ThomH

A PlayStation 2 does exactly everything I want from a video game console. That doesn't mean I think that people with anything from the XBox 360 or Wii onwards are implicitly facile.

8. dogged

Air Jesus?

"I am so unbelievably bored that I will buy your ridiculous shoesphone...."

(restore my faith, commentards. Go on.)

Re: Air Jesus?

Shoephone? Are you Maxwell Smart?

1. dogged

Re: Air Jesus?

None of you read Transmetropolitan.

I'm disappointed but not all that surprised.

9. jmcsherr

Please, referring to Jesus in your headline for the article isn't in good taste and objectionable.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"referring to Jesus in your headline for the article isn't in good taste and objectionable"

I agree. Keep up the good work.

1. zappymax

Re: "referring to Jesus in your headline for the article isn't in good taste and objectionable"

keep the miracles going, too

2. CraPo
      Trollface

He said Jehovah!

1. James Hughes 1

Are there any women here?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Are there any women here? It's the Reg

For grumpy, middle-aged, badly dressed blokes who think the clock frequency of their CPU is a chat-up line

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@jmcsherr

Lighten up. It's not like El Reg claimed that Jebus would climb to the top of his Phone Mountain and come down to earth with a handful of fondleslabs with the new commandments of the iTunes terms and conditions.

But if he did, would we go to war over the question of whether he was wearing green socks or blue ones?

10. Joe 48

Just to put an end to this iPhone v Android

My Dad will beat up all your Dad's.

End of debate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to put an end to this iPhone v Android

All my Dad's what?

1 dad. 2 dads. Just add an s :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Just to put an end to this iPhone v Android

My Dad will beat up all your Dad's.

End of debate."

Yea, well, my dads gay...so my dad will fuck your dad....and your dad will like it.

</frankie>

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Well, your Mom wears open-toed combat boots and walks down the road with a mattress on her back, singing 'O come all ye faithful'! And your Dad was last in line!

2. Joe 48

@ First AC, Ha ha, so he's not the best at teaching the english language. Spent all his time in the gym ;)

@ Second AC. My Dad is fine with that. After 20 years in Prison for beating dads he's used to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Joe 48

Top commentarding! Actually made me laugh out loud...now...to explain to my team why this code is amusing me so much.

11. Ben Burch

My iPhone 4 isn't worn out yet!

I *had* to replace my iPhone 3 because the battery life had gotten really bad. My iPhone 4 is still turning in a reliable performance and until it needs replacing, it is not getting replaced. A former employer of mine, Zenith, found out what happens when you build consumer goods that do not wear out quickly; Your most loyal customers are those still using the TVs they bought 20 years ago. Not that, as a consumer, I am complaining, but that is the reality. The iPhone 4 is close to indestructible (at least in my hands) and this does not bode well for Apple selling me an iPhone 5 or an iPhone 6.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: My iPhone 4 isn't worn out yet!

Ditto in this household. But all Apple spending is now on hold as the missus wants a circa 5" phablet with 3/4g that runs IOS. When she gets that I move from my iPhone 4 to her 4s. We still wait.

12. Michael Thibault

"iWaif"?

Nah, let's call it the iWaffer--it will almost certainly hit the market a few tenths of a millimeter thinner than something else.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iran and the UK, which have populations of 77.6 million and 64.1 million people respectively.

So less than an Apple production run.

If Pluto is no longer considered a planet due to minimal size, perhaps Iran and any other country with fewer inhabitants should be stricken from UNO membership as being too small to be considered a 'country'.

Why yes, I am posting anonymously.

14. CaptainBlue
    FAIL

Size isn't everything, as I keep being told...

I'm a fanboi with a full complement of fruity gizmos. But I really don't need or want a bigger iPhone.

When I lent my girlfriend one of my 5s (I have three in use) after she let hers go for a swim down the pan on holiday, I put my SIM into one of the old Nokias* I have in the garage and used that for a few days. I'd forgotten how nice it is to have such an easily pocketable phone with days of battery life.

As for the latest knocking Samsung advert, well that is simply stupid but probably so apt for the 'bigger is better' eejits. My girlfriend also has an old S3 which is horribly plasticky and cheap looking and has to go in a bag, realistically. Given my suits and jeans don't have clown pockets and I'm not metrosexual enough to carry a manbag, I'll pass on the 6S (and the Samsungs) thanks.

*My spare spare fourth phone with a live SIM is a lovely small Sony W595

1. ThomH

Re: Size isn't everything, as I keep being told...

My main problem with the Samsung advert is that Samsung is the world's most successful phone manufacturer by volume (amongst other things). So what the advert appears to be saying is:

You know those people that didn't buy the same kind of phone as the overwhelming majority of people? That stick with a particular kind despite showing a conscious awareness that it severely limits their hardware options? Well they're just sheep.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Size isn't everything, as I keep being told...

Hi CaptainBlue

Two sizes can please two types of people! You'll buy one in the end, you'll see someone else with one and the screen will be to the edge of the phone, and there is no size difference at all, and that will change your mind. "It will be revolutionary, magical and it just works". Repeat Mantra

Steve

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I think calling someone a sophist was the insult, not calling them sophisticated"

No. The modern use of sophisticated and sophistication differs and is not from Ancient Greece. Rather it is from 17th century aristocratic France with an altogether different meaning.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Foolishly I decided I would root and cyanogen it. Bricked. It is not quite as trivial, or foolproof as fandroids like to claim."

Are you trying to falsely imply that jailbreaking an iBoi is easier?

1. Philip Lewis

"Are you trying to falsely imply that jailbreaking an iBoi is easier?"

Only a journalist or a moron would conclude that from my post.

Same difference really.

17. Looper

Forgetting about the article...

The fanBoi and FanDroid commentards posting here are like sheep worshipping on opposite sides of their holy identical icon.

Fucking phonists...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like