back to article Super Cali optimistic cloud is now a focus – even though the sound of it is something quite

California has become the first state in the US to shift a massive chunk of its government computing system to the cloud – and dubbed it CalCloud. "CalCloud is an important step towards providing faster and more cost effective IT services to California state departments and ultimately to the citizens of California," said …

1. James Haley 2
    Happy

Nice headline, clicked in solely on that basis.

1. John70
  2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legendary headline!

Awesome!

1. Mark 85

Re: Legendary headline!

Indeed!!! I wish we could upvote the headlines.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Legendary headline!

California has become the first state in the US to shift its entire government computing system to the cloud, dubbed CalCloud.

♫ Let's go fly a kite... ♫

3. Eddy Ito

the spokesman described CalCloud as "revenue neutral"

Translation: "revenue neutral" == "it isn't in the budget and we haven't decided where the real money is going to come from but rest assured someone is going to get screwed". Any guesses on who?

4. jake Silver badge

Wonderful.

These are the same idiots that lost 20+ years of my DMV record.

My license was clean, mind (insurance company agrees) ... but it took about three months before I managed to convince the morons that I had actually been legally driving over the road since the early 1970s. They doubted me, even though I had retained all the paperwork (including lapsed drivers licenses!), because "computer says no".

Stuffing it all into a "cloud" is gong to cause paperwork mayhem.

Mark my words ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wonderful.

I did some security work there once, and I was actually quite happy with the way they had set things up, they just needed to tidy up procedures to keep it that way. However, that was not DMV, though.

I can see the sense of that move, but I wonder just how safe that data will be from both theft and malicious manipulation.

5. Caesarius

"Open and secure"

That takes a bit of unpacking, but I still think there is some muddled thinking there.

Perhaps he is trying to emulate G K Chesterton's style where the paragraph finishes with a witty apparent paradox as a summary. Unfortunately, there was no closely argued paragraph to summarize.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Headline

'Nuff said

7. PacketPusher
    FAIL

Back the bus up!

No. Not the entire state computing system. The California Technology Agency is setting up CalCloud, but participation is optional for state departments. The department I work for has evaluated it and chosen not to partake.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like