back to article BT: Hey guys, we've developed NEW MOBE TECH! It’s called... 2G

BT has fallen through a timewarp and introduced a system based on GSM technology – and even resurrected a name used in the last millennium to christen it. OnePhone is a system aimed at companies with between 20 and 250 employees to give them a single phone that works in both the office and outside. It uses a 2G mobile network …

1. psychonaut

One net

Is fab. £45 per month and all you can eat calls , 2gb data and unlimited land line to phone transfers. Also about 2 quid per day in most of Europe amd maybe woldwide to roam with all your data and features on your plan.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"most of the world has moved on from 2G"

Has it? I hadn't noticed.

*Currently sat in the centre of a town of around 200K people with a 2G connection. Not exactly out in the sticks!

1. Vince

4G smugness

Can't help but feel smug, he said, writing this tethered by 4G in his office, in the basement.

My phone spends about 40% of it's life on 4G (thanks three) and the rest on 3G. I don't have 2G enabled on my phones at all...

It should be this way for everyone though, I agree. Call quality on 2G sucks, never mind data.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's London based people for you :-)

Sat in an office in Brum. one end of the office 3G, other end 2G

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

Sat in an office in Brum. one end of the office 3G, other end 2G

Here in Brindleyplace my S3 is saying 'H' so that's either H or H+ (I'm getting 5Mb/s average so impossible to know based on that).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here in my home office

The front room gets 4G

wheras my office is lucky to get 3G on a good day.

All of 20ft apart. Sigh.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mind you, the office is 37 miles long.

4. Bronek Kozicki
    Megaphone

Hm, picocells .... can those work with SIP?

Now I want SIP phone gateway which would be also 2G picocell for my home, to make my SIP numbers available on my mobile when I'm at home and allow me to make (cheap) SIP calls automatically from my mobile. Because, honestly, SIP handsets rather crappy.

1. MrXavia

Re: Hm, picocells .... can those work with SIP?

"make my SIP numbers available on my mobile"

Just buy a decent mobile, mine has SIP built in (its an SGS4), so I get my sip calls on my phone no problem...

I also have a quite nice Gigaset DECT SIP phone for my office, that handles SIP & POTS calls.. it also has built in bluetooth and is basically very nice, so i'd argue against all sip handsets being crappy

One thing I would like is a way to route the POTS lines I have to SIP without needing a separate server.. also I'd like my phone company to allow UMA so i don't need their crappy femtocell when out of range!

1. Ian Mason

> so i'd argue against all sip handsets being crappy

The issue isn't that the handsets are crappy, it's that call quality *over mobile data* is crap or at least unpredictable and frequently too poor to be useful.

2. Ian Mason

Take a look at Andrews and Arnold's SIP2SIM service. Slip a SIM into any mobile phone (NO on-phone SIP client required - the dumbest phone will do), the voice and signalling go over O2 and are then backhauled to wherever you like as a SIP call (and vice-versa).

I use it in conjunction with Asterisk. If I'm 'in' Asterisk knows because it can see the phone's bluetooth and directs calls to my desktop phone, if I'm 'out' (bluetooth out of reach) it routes calls, via SIP, to the mobile.

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Let's party like it's 1989

Rabbit

1. Anna Logg

Re: Let's party like it's 1989

The only place I ever saw Rabbit phones used in anger was the Hutchison/Orange office in Bristol, and they probably had no choice in the matter!

6. Buzzword

But...

I already have one phone that works inside the office and outside. It's my mobile phone. Why do BT keep trying to re-invent inferior versions of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Your mobile is not capable of directly interfacing with the company PABX. With the BT system technically you can transfer calls, have calls transferred to you and make calls as if you were connected directly to the internal phone system (because you are). It also makes it so much easier for a company to manage their phone directory...They just need to look up the internal extension number and transfer the call, the handset then handles which network the call is received on.

1. SW10
        FAIL

With the BT system technically you can transfer calls, have calls transferred to you and make calls as if you were connected directly to the internal phone system (because you are)

Switchboard operators (remember them?) and geeks aside, I don't know anyone who has ever been capable of transferring calls with any confidence—often the last thing you hear before random button-stabbing takes place is "Sorry, if this doesn't work then call her on this mobile number..."

This is solution for those rare confluences where someone:

1. takes a call on a landline,

2. wants to pass the buck,

3. can't just look on their move and say "Sure, here's her mobile number."

4. has the PABX number to hand.

How often does that happen at yours?

2. John 110
      Unhappy

Good for you @buzzword. Buried in the bowels of a concrete hospital as I am, I have NO mobile coverage.

Also, in a hospital environment like ours, the majority of people who need roaming contact carry bleeps and have to find a phone when they go off. It would be a lot more useful to carry a proper communicator. If only we got a signal!!

1. Buzzword

As the article says, a femtocell or a picocell will fix your reception problem.

7. jabuzz

3G is pointless for voice

So in an office environment a 2G voice signal is just fine because for data there will likely be WiFi which offers better throughput for a lower cost.

8. John Tserkezis

Huh.

Just yesterday <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/23/telstra_to_kill_2g_network_by_end_of_2016/> Telstra wanted to turn off 2G in a couple of years because of disuse.

I'm thinking with OnePhone, they're trying to repurpose the network to justify the bandwidth use fees.

Much like the carriers in Australia converted to CDMA the moment the old analogue phone system was dismantled. They had already paid for the bandwidth, and CDMA "coincedently" used exactly the same channel slots. Later on, once it was clear GSM use had spread and was going to win over, CDMA became the unwanted bastard child of mobile phones. They never got any special deals, and CDMA<>GSM call deals were notibly absent even though there were carrier to carrier call deals present all over the place. Lots of the advertised deals had a notable asterisk that said "CDMA phones excepted".

Of course, I'm making the assumption 2G and 3G live on separate bands.

9. Davie Dee

id rather have a good solid 2G connection then the shoddy 3G crap served to us. Good data is great, but a basic level of service is much better.

10. Nick 23

2G

2G will be around for a while yet.

4G is not really suitable for calls and VoLTE is very low. 3G signals do not travel as far as 2G and is why 3G only networks have poor coverage particularly indoors.

But 2G for phone calls is just fine, why get rid of something that works well and then replace it with something expensive with less reliability.

11. dave 93

If BT made their 2G service free...

They would get millions of 'registered users' then they could sell themselves to Facebook

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like