back to article eBay impulse buyers STAY AWAY: Holy Grail Superman comic book to fetch $2m+

One of the rarest comic books of all time is going under the hammer – well, a virtual hammer. Online auction house Web tat bazaar eBay has said dealer Darren Adams will use the website to sell a nearly pristine copy of Action Comics #1. The legendary 1938 edition from DC Comics features the first appearance of Superman. The …

1. Amorous Cowherder

Charity donation aside, I bet Fleabay can't wait to get their claws into that lovely 10% commission on the sale of a $2m item!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't that a pretty good deal for an auction commission? If he'd auctioned it at Sotheby's, it would be twice as much assuming a $2 million sales price.

I assume it would be possible to negotiate with either Ebay or Sotheby's to get them to lower or possibly even drop the commission for items auctioned for charity. As I've never auctioned off a $2 million item, or given $2 million to charity, I really have idea about how likely this is with either one :)

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Two million bucks...

and you only get half a story? I want my money back...

3. Neil B

I love the way Superman beats the crap out of a wife-beater who then faints at the sight of his own blood! Having never read it before now, it's better than I expected.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Joke

It was fascinating thumbing through the scanned version and seeing the complete text. All three of my paper copies have coffee and tea stains in various places.

4. Swapmeetpete

ebay commission

Rapacious though they are, the ebay fees page states that final value fees are capped at $250.

5. John Tserkezis

For this item, given the grade, can't the seller find an auction house that is, well, how can I put this, a little more reputable?

6. Identity
    Coat

Really?

"...primary grader Paul Litch said in a release."

Don't you think they could get someone more qualified than a child?

Mine's the one with the attached mittens...

7. fpx
    Pint

The Story behind the Story ...

... is even more interesting.

I highly recommend reading "Completely MAD" by Maria Reidelbach for its history of the comic book, and how Superman is a direct predecessor to MAD Magazine, with antagonistic psychoanalysts (Seduction of the Innocent) and Commie Scares (Comics are a commie plot to rot the youth's brain!) thrown in the mix.

And of course look up MAD's definitive lampoon of Superduperman (issue #4)!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like