back to article Captain Kirk sets phaser to SLAUGHTER after trying new Facebook app

Actor and sometime “singer” William Shatner has unloaded on Facebook's newest app, the ”Mentions” tool The Social NetworkTM says helps “actors, athletes, musicians and other influencers to discover and join conversations on Facebook.” Shatner took the app for a spin, then shared his thoughts about it on his Tumblr. Long story …

1. Captain Scarlet
    Big Brother

Captains Log

Facebook can't compete against it, well except the fact they tend to get left crashed on planets.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Captains Log

Is that a euphemism?

1. Captain Scarlet

I guess it was an euphemism since someone has down voted

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

William Shatner is as much of an expert on social media as Stephen Fry is in the world of technology.

1. Oninoshiko

He is an expert on being a celebrity though, and considering this is an app for celebrities he has more then enough authority to weigh in on if it is really useful for them.

I on the other hand, not being a celebrity, am truly not qualified to review it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I object

to your calling Shatner an "Actor".

Anyone who has seen Star Trek TOS, or any of his films will attest that he cant act his way out of a paper bag.

(His later acting jobs seem to show a suspicious improvement in acting ability - in line with improvements in CGI technology!!)

(Paris is saying "William who??)

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Stop

Downvote explained ...

In general, (certainly in the UK) Bill Shatner has been adopted with affection, because ... he gets it, and is more than happy to send himself up at the drop of a hat ... as his appearance of guest host on HIGNFY showed.

Henry Rollins used to tell a hilarious tale of how he got roped into singing on a William Shatner album ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Re: Downvote explained ...

Hey, I didnt say I didnt like the guy, or his "performance", he just cant ACT.

(Wow, I have never had so many thumbs, in fact my "Down" total for that post may exceed my lifetime "Up" total!!!!).

Goes and cries into his Romulan Ale

1. Chris 244

I too have just added a downvote. Not because i disagree entirely with your original post, just want to help you smash your previous personal record. No "thank you" required.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I still seem to be in a minority, even here; possibly a minority of one, but I've always thought Shatner's Kirk was a perfectly good performance. His many detractors seem to be implying that they know how the Captain of a star-ship would actually behave, let alone when faced with experiences so bewildering most people would probably freeze. Kind of like the difference between what they think they would do in an airplane when the pilot keels over with a heart attack and what they would actually do? Shatner's performance is about confronting the astonishing, always seemed to me to be a good stab at how that would transpire, and presumably Gene Deddenburied thought so too. OTOH the 5 mins tops I could bear to catch of TJ Hooker made me cringe.

2. dogged

Re: I object

He was amazing on Boston Legal.

1. TRT Silver badge

Don't dis' The Hooker, y'all. Bitch.

1. Mint Sauce

He was awesome at forward rolls in TJ Hooker :-)

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
            Coat

ITYM

sausage rolls ...

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Don't dis' The Hooker, y'all. Bitch."

While he was great in Hooker, his wig should've received a credit for valiantly hanging onto the Shat's head in all those action scenes.

3. Ralara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAJlG5-WyxI

4. BillG
      Happy

But you are forgetting the genius acting technique known as the Shatner......

...pause.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could someone at Reg central do a tote up and see if I am in "Negative Equity" yet??

PS Run out of Romulan ale, now have a choice between Synth-ale and my own pi$$

3. Captain DaFt

You think Shatner's singing is bad?

Apparently you've never heard Nimoy sing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KKyZ5d3h8

Back on topic, it looks like he feels that Mentions and Pages each have part of what he's looking for in an app, and both have stuff he considers useless.

Plus it's telling that he used Tumblr instead of Facebook to tell the World.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most Recent?

Anything to say on the fact Facebook makes the Most Recent sort more and more difficult to use?

1. Christoph

Re: Most Recent?

Yes. "You aren't using Social Fixer."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Most Recent?

Well, we're discussing Facebook apps, so no, he isn't, is he?

5. stucs201

Funny you should mention his songs

He wants post like common people.

He wants to post whatever common people do.

etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Funny you should mention his songs

Nice Pulp reference have a thumbs up...id like to follow up with..

With Facebooks app, his fans slide out of view and then he'll drink and rant and spew...because its all zuck will let him doooo wooo!

6. Bill 35

A classic

Thank you for the reminder of Mr Shatner's "musical" career. A true classic that I hadn't heard for about 30 years.

I seem to remember that Tony Blackburn on Radio London (the BBC one - this was the 80's) had a feature where his listeners voted for the worst record ever, and this won by a landslide!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm sure he cried all the way to the bank.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A classic

You may be right about Shatner getting a "worst song" vote on a 1980s radio show, but it wouldn't have been for "Common People", which was only released (in Shatner style) in 2004.

Even the original Pulp version only goes back to 1996.

Anyway, as other people have already mentioned, all Shatner's works are pretty much genius.

7. dogged

That tumblr post is a really quite in-depth and well-reasoned review.

I admit to being surprised.

8. Tom Servo

Not hearing a word against Shatner as a singer....

his Common People is a genuinely fantastic cover (although Ben Folds probably gets the credit for that).

Sod it, I liked his Rocket Man also.

1. Evan Essence

Re: Not hearing a word against Shatner as a singer....

I bought the album!

9. knarf

Its Dead Jim!

Pity the app is wearing a red security top and never seen before

10. TRT Silver badge

Yet again...

an Internet giant fails to produce Enterprise software.

11. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Canned Phrase

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mentions is only available to public figures with verified Pages

Shirley you could ask out intrepid playmonaut to use his celebrity status to create a page and have him check out the app.

13. jason 7
    Happy

My faith in Shatner went up considerably...

...when a few years ago at a Intel Tech Conference or some such where he was a guest speaker.

He stood up and reeled off a load of current must have tech and finished the list with the phrase -

"And none of this s**t actually works!"

Or words of a similar nature.

14. hplasm
    Coat

"Khaaaaaan-

-'t see a use for this app!"

1. Evan Essence

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like