back to article ARM: We've signed 41 new deals and we are IN to the Internet Of Stuff

ARM Holdings has dodged the impact of slowing device sales with 41 customers signing new deals to license its chip technology. The company Tuesday announced a nine-per-cent jump in second-quarter profit to £68m on revenue that climbed seventeen per cent to £187.1m. Earnings per share increased 11 per cent to £3.91. But …

1. Steven Jones

What's the real market size of x86 vs ARM

ARM is a minnow in comparison with Intel. However, this surely gives an entirely misleading view of the relative value of the ARM semiconductor processor/gpu market vs that of the Intel x66/gpu one. It would be interesting to see such a comparison to give an idea of the relative financial strengths of the two competing architectures.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the real market size of x86 vs ARM

Whilst ARM chips are slower as they are built by everyone (including Intel) + dog even just 1/50 (see breakout bottom) of Intel's revenue is pretty impressive, it'll certainly have more than 50 licencees (a quick Google shows 500 licencees of classic ARM and around 400 for the Cortex arch) and you can bet that economy based on market share is ultimately larger.

"In the last 12 months, ARM pulled in a little over $1.1 billion in revenue, while Intel netted nearly $53 billion."

http://www.infoworld.com/d/computer-hardware/intel-vs-arm-two-titans-tangled-fate-237265

2. Tom 7

I think you'll find they are not a minnow - more a candiru buried deep in Intels BSD.

You shouldn't be worrying about the financial strengths of the two companies. Intel will survive for a long time after its chips are no longer made but I wouldn't buy any shares in it - unless it starts manufacturing ARM.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure it's fair to compare Intel and ARM really.

ARM vs Renesas would be a better comparison because of they both have designs for microcontroller applications through to relatively high performance. I think the fact that Renesas is also shipping ARM chips shows they are doing something right.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ARM designs the technology and licences it. Intel designs and manufactures the technology.

If you don't need to make anything you don't need such a large company. You don't need sales and marketing or customer support.

2. Nate Amsden

90% market share

and from the looks of it not much to show for it. Yeah I know they just license the designs but still, seems puny. Samsung could probably buy the whole company with the spare change in the couch in the office of their CEO

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: 90% market share

Samsung could probably buy the whole company with the spare change in the couch in the office of their CEO

Quite possibly but if it did it would destroy what makes ARM so attractive to all those licence-holders: none is in an unassailable position and they all get to share the pie. This is essential to compete in the embedded market where only huge volumes bring in meaningful revenue but is getting even more interesting as the capabilities (and power draw) of ARM and x86 start to converge. Not a few of those manufacturers are eyeing that $50 bn Intel figure and wondering just how much of that they'll get if ARM continues to grow.

Also, none of the licence-holders needs to worry about ARM taking their business: it doesn't make chips, doesn't have the engineers, and probably more importantly, the billions lying around for fabs.

2. druck Silver badge

Re: 90% market share

ARM has 90 per cent of smart phones

Really, as low as that? If so the other 10% sure as hell isn't Intel, they account for less than 1% according to Forbes. So what is in the other 9%? My guess would be more ARMs.

3. Alan Denman

Sad old ARM ticked the 'No Publicity Box'

...yes, you become a forgotten minion when you sign on the dotted line with US corporates.

Saying that, they would get attacked some other way, maybe with anti-dumping legislation if they competed head one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like