back to article Samsung looks to up Tizen market share ... by upgrading Galaxy Gear

Owners of the original, Android-powered Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch in the US will soon have the option to switch their devices to the Tizen operating system, a change which might, counterintuitively perhaps, actually be a good idea. Samsung shipped its first smartwatch model running a stripped-down version of Android – …

1. Salts

But...

"To get the new firmware, Galaxy Gear owners should download the appropriate version of Samsung's Kies software for their Windows or OS X desktop computer"

You can't upgrade a Linux OS using a Linux system :-) just seems a bit daft :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

99.99% of the plebs that buy into the 'Galaxy Gear' thing will be running Windows or OS-X. The few diehards that use Linux on their desktop are the least of Samsung's worries at this time.

If Apple get their device line right, then the lifetime of the Galaxy Gear range as we currently know it will be very limited. Then the Samsung replicating machine will be operating at 110% thrust and a little thing like repacing the OS in the device will be a thing of the past.

Sad but true view on the state of the market IMHO.

On the otherhand, Apple might never release anything in this space.... :)

2. Lamb0
    Thumb Down

If a Windows or OS X desktop computer

is a requirement to develop Tizen software...I'm NOT interested!

I have no intention of living in a walled garden to help build yet another walled garden around me.

1. Lamb0
      Holmes

Re: If a Windows or OS X desktop computer

OK, I was overly broad in my assertion... obviously, neither Windows nor OS X is a development requirement. I still believe Samsung dreams of vendor lockin similar to GAPPS and their Play Store, Apple, Microsoft, and the new kid on the block... Amazon.

I would like a mobile device that can (eventually) handle a simultaneous mix of HTML5, Android (i.e. Sky Safari), and Linux applications (incl. XEPHEM w/Motif - yes, I know it's proprietary and ancient ), in a verifiably secure environment with fine grained permissions. Many applications will be stand alone with no internet access whatsoever. Others will control devices like Amateur Radio and Astronomy gear including imaging/guiding, and data exchange. Tizen, may be a useful base system to build around with capabilities that Google's Android may never enable... much less embrace, and vendors like Apple and Microsoft are unlikely to allow.

Cellular providers are problem unto themselves! Yes, obviously internet browsing and email are useful - though I'm no fan of Facebook; and video teleconferencing would be be a boon... but I frequent some areas where cellular, ground wireless, cable, and land lines are unavailable - and I'm in no rush to pay for a satellite connection. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy stored entertainment or via a local network alone or among friends.

It may well be a pipe dream. Here in the states Blackberry's QNX (it is a nice micro-kernel) is probably a better short term work-around than Tizen to get past the cellular providers even with Samsung doing the pushing. I rather expect AT&T, and most especially Verizon (providing the best coverage in my area), to fight tooth claw and nail, delaying by any means possible relinquishing any control of their network or minor profit reduction another OS might pose. They're more likely to encourage Ubuntu mobile (with it's own share of proprietary code) long before allowing Tizen on their networks! The Sailfish and Firefox OSs' appear better choices to compete in the emerging markets where their Firefox can compete with feature phones; and Sailfish function as an upgrade with some Android compatibility courtesy of the built-in Alien Dalvik layer from Myriad Group.

3. Rob Thorley

Kies

"To get the new firmware, Galaxy Gear owners should download the appropriate version of Samsung's Kies software "

Stop right there. Anything involving Kies should not be attempted.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: Kies

"Stop right there. Anything involving Kies should not be attempted."

Yeah, I saw "Keis" and cringed. Not going there again.

2. Down not across

"To get the new firmware, Galaxy Gear owners should download the appropriate version of Samsung's Kies software "

Stop right there. Anything involving Kies should not be attempted.

Could agree with you more. Never encountered such a steaming turd, except perhaps Sonicstage or whatever it was called.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe because it uses all of the goodness Microsoft managed to create; like .Net and Windows Media Player and framework.

.Net where the "updates" take far longer to apply than then original install. Download .Net and then prepare for a plethora of updates as Microsoft cannot be bothered to update the installer package. I have seen systems working on .Net updates for over an hour. The best way to speed the Windows Update process up; ditch .Net.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's been out for ages

Tizen for the original gear has been available in the UK for ages (at least a month), so this is a bit old news really!

5. Moopoo
    FAIL

I own a Gear First edition and have upgraded to Tizen, big mistake.

Yes there are more apps but it constantly disconnects

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like