back to article Yahoo! Japan! launches! service! for! the! dead!

Yahoo! Japan has launched a service called “Endings” designed to help you after you die. Endings is intended to let the dying set their affairs in order before they shuffle off this mortal coil. The service allows one to set up an automated message to email to up to 200 loved ones after you're gone. The email is triggered by a …

1. John Tserkezis

Did they miss the fact I could give any number of email contacts, and phone numbers, and addresses and whatever other contact method to my "third party", who will most likely do it out of the goodness of their own hearts? If they don't hate me that is.

Either way, a good guess would be that I probably won't give a toss to who does what, on account of I'll be a bit dead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah - but that would be inconveniencing people.

2. Ole Juul

What could go wrong?

"The email is triggered by a third party to whom you bequeath a code to activate Endings . . ."

Let's hope this third party is able to keep the code from any pranksters.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: What could go wrong?

Or the seemingly endless stream of XSS flaws that has bothered Yahoo mail in recent years?

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Seriously folks

While it is tempting to poke fun at Yahoo, etc, the issue of what happens to our digital data once we are gone is something that needs to be properly addressed.

While I might not care (on account of being dead, for example) it might still have some impact on the few living ones who may care about me in some way. When stuff like bank accounts and other aspects of one's estate become virtual and there is no obvious paper print outs lying around my 2nd last resting place, how will those who should benefit from whatever I have to leave find them and access them?

A will is the obvious starting place, but how many would think of listing all on-line accounts in there (and updating them with the regularity they change at which is typically much shorter time-scales than a will) , and how to manage the passwords?

1. rhydian

Re: Seriously folks

A few years ago Radio 4 had a programme about wills, and how they're having to take in to account more and more online services. For example, who gets the stuff in your Ebay account (not to mention paypal)?

1. Tom 38

Re: Seriously folks

I don't know about ebay, but paypal require the executor to provide proof of death, proof of executorship and identification, at which point they will issue a cheque in the deceased's name to form part of the estate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More importantly, digital (DRM protected) things you've bought

Which seem to return to Apple/Google/Amazon in the event you suffer mortal coil impairment, unlike say your CD or DVD collection.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo is a service for the dead already.

5. frank ly

Out of life autoreply:

I'm unable to reply to your e-mail right now, because I'm dead. I hope to return at some time in the future (if you believe in that sort of thing).

6. James O'Brien
    Coat

How did no one mention this?

But certainly gives a new meaning to a Happy Ending....

Mines the raincoat in the corner....thanks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: The late Erroneous Cowstool

Dear Reg Commentards,

It's with deepest sadness, and a little regret that I have to announce to you all that on Thursday the 24th of July I passed away peacefully in the early hours of the morning. With that in mind I would like to take the opportunity to invite you all to come and celebrate my life and achi ... No fecking way!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon