back to article Huawei's turnover rockets upwards. Suck on that, US government

Execs at Chinese hardware maker Huawei are laughing all the way to the bank after reporting a healthy bounce in revenues and margins, despite being effectively blockaded by some governments in the West. The maker of telco kit, smartphones and enterprise networking gear today said that turnover for the first half of calendar ' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

I'll fix...

Sales boom by nearly a fifth despite US and Aussie regimes' spy fear boycott

to

Sales boom by nearly a fifth despite US and Aussie regimes' inabilty to spy fear boycott

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I'll fix...

Huawei - we guarantee no NSA backdoors.

I really don't care if the Chinese army spy on me, I don't do business in China, I don't visit China, I don't have to pay tax to China, I don't have to make submissions to Chinese govt agencies, I don't compete with Chinese companies that might have "connections" to govt. agencies.

Now if I only I could say the same about the country I live in .

2. Mark #255

Influx of ex-Nokia folk?

Huawei are probably looking forward to an influx of ex-Nokia-Microsoft hardware engineers, since their European HQ nestles in close proximity to the offices of the Lumiatects.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US regime all but banned Huawei in 2012 after growing suspicious that its routers contain leaky backdoors. Last year they were joined by the Aussies who prevented the firm from supplying kit to fire up that country's National Broadband Network project.

It's kinda funny how attempts to smear Huawei as Chinese spies (probably for not collaborating with national intercept programs) only resulted in the US being exposed yet again. It shows just how much trust the US has destroyed, and I don't see that rebuilt in less than 10 years (if ever).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And their stuff works!

Huawei can, and does, make some good quality kit. Thanks to the leaks that revealed the US government is *actually* inserting back doors into hardware from US vendors like Cisco, they've also has the good fortune to see most of the FUD spread around against them resigned to the "dust heap of history". The double irony here is that the US military and civilian intel agencies, while driving full bore into the economic espionage business, have done more damage to the competitive position of US companies than any foreign operator ever could. Whether that was their intent or the result of spectacular incompetence may some day be determined when we've had a good look at the investment portfolios of agency executives and their "customers" in the administration and Congress.

5. Stuart Elliott

Love my 10Gig Huawei switches

Decent kit, love 'em.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some excellent products

Huawei make some outstanding products with very good prices, so I'm not surprised they're selling well.

Personally, I was particularly taken with their GSM enabled MediaPad 7" tablet. It's super thin, with very slim bezels, a huge battery (5,000mAh), great IPS screen and other good features. I grabbed one (purchased direct from Huawei) as soon as they were released earlier this year.

They make some good dedicated smartphones too, although those are a bit too boxy looking for my taste.

7. eldakka
    Mushroom

Huawei's spying was only theoretical...

...however the NSA's (US's) spying, inserting backdoors into US made kit, is documented.

8. Heinrich Sauerkraut

See How The Powers Manipulate Us ?

They were badmouthing Huawei almost daily. Now it turns out that they simply PROJECTED their own bad habits on everybody else. "We do insert backdoors left and right, so Huawei surely does too".

Consequence ? Let's all buy Huawei products - these folks were the target of a defamantion campaign. Start by buying a Huawei Android phone.

And no, zero affiliation with China or Huawei except for admiring their hard work. And not liking smear campaings by powerful guys with too many weapons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like