back to article What's inside AMD's life-support machine? A big pile o' PlayStation 4s and XBox Ones

AMD execs are remaining optimistic despite emerging from a quarter in which the company made an eight-figure net loss and fell short of analyst estimates. In Q2 2014, ending June 29, the chipmaker bagged $1.44bn in revenue, up 24 per cent year on year. However, it recorded a GAAP net loss of $36m for the quarter, down from the …

1. btrower

I'm buying. They aren't selling

I have been looking and looking and looking at AMD waiting for them to release a product that I can reasonably buy. I have three boxen here using older chips like a 1090T. The newer chips require, in my case, upgrading all sorts of stuff for just not enough gain.

They seem to have just completely given up on selling CPUs. I have been an AMD die-hard for many years. All things being equal, I would go with them and I give them a bit of an edge at that.

I have been hoping that they will blow us all away with some dramatic change, but that hope is fading. It seems more realistic that they have just run into a wall where they cannot compete with Intel on x86 CPUs and are contemplating getting out of the x86 biz altogether.

I just can't get that excited about the ARM stuff...

1. John 156

Re: I'm buying. They aren't selling

The numbers are telling AMD to stop competing with Intel on x86 head on. The new AMD roadmap shows 2015 to be when they offer users the plug compatible x86/ARM 'Project Skybridge' solution and if that is successful for the ARM variant, 2016 will see a switch to ARM only as the roadmap has a name for that ARM-based solution, the AMD designed 'K12' but not for the (fallback) prospective x86 solution. As AMD have stated, an ARM based chip is cheaper to develop and quicker to market which sounds like a strategy for catchup.

1. Michael Habel

Re: I'm buying. They aren't selling

I think I like the idea of this... Replacing, the outdated PC, and its related innards. for something like a very low-power high performance Device about the size of a Mac-Mini would be very welcome 'round here. I know that x86 will never truly die, and that People want to do "real work", and they should be able to! But. In a world of ever expanding Electricity Bills I can forgo the Mad Miner Act... And, learn to live with something that I can use. Much like I do today, To just fart 'round on the Web, and to have access to Word, and Excel. As needed. Upon which note I'll probably be looking into LibraOffice soonish... Since MicroSoft also decided to kill off their only sensible version of that Software... Version 2003....

But, as long as such a device let me continue on with both my Mouse and Keyboard. I'd be a very happy camper. In fact I suspect this is where AMD, may well cut Intel off at the pass....

2. Bruce Hoult

We owe a lot to AMD .. but there's a limit

AMD had a great run. The K6 and K6-2 were great (though I never owned one .. I kept a Pentium Pro 200 Linux machine for quite a while).

I built an Athlon 700 in early 2000. And then a few years later in early 2004 an Athlon 3200+. Both matched or beat Intel's chips at the time, and for less money.

And then AMD saved us all from Intel's vision of 32 bit x86 forever (and the awful Pentium4 at that) and Itanic if you wanted 64 bits.

I never did own a true AMD64. The Core 2 Duo was just as fast in a laptop and on the desktop, and by the time that felt slow my best option seemed to be (in Jan 2010) building a quad core i7 and overclocking it.

And I've just this week built an i7-4790K box (reliably doing 4.6 GHz on 4 cores, 4.9 GHz single core) that should see me for the next few years.

AMD doesn't have anything to touch the i7, and certainly not for $400. (they're ok if you want a low end box, but I don't)

It's very very sad. I'd buy AMD by preference if they were at all close.

1. Down not across

Re: We owe a lot to AMD .. but there's a limit

My first x86 AMD was 486-DX2 (iirc) later replaced with DX4. The K6 series was rather nice although bit lacking in floating point and not as good as the original NexGen design it was based on. I did build a K6-2-450 machine but eventually replaced with Intel as much software wanted Intel's SSE rather than K6-2's SIMD.

Athlon really rocked when it was released. Over 1GHz and Intel had nothing that could touch it. For quite some time. It was kind of like poor man's Alpha with its EV6 bus. Still have a 1.2GHz Thunderbird around.

After that it was downhill for AMD in terms of desktop performance. It had the edge on price. I had couple of boxen with Athlon IIs that were later upgraded to Phenom IIs. Multithread performance was pretty good, but on single/dual thread (like games for example) they were clearly behind Intel's Core. Having said that still good value in terms of "bang for the buck".

Even with the higher cost I find at the moment i5 and i7 are better choice than AMD for most situations especially if discrete graphics are used.

For a low-cost/low-power the APUs are still a decent choice and do offer better integrated graphics performance than intel.

TLDR; IMHO AMD has for now lost the desktop race, but is viable contender in the embedded/highly integrated market.

3. RAMChYLD

Osborne effect

I have been in the market for a new AMD gaming laptop for months. I'm an AMD fanboi, and have briefly considered the Richland-infused MSI GX60, but have been holding back since the Kaveri Mobile announcement. Unfortunately, laptops featuring said chip have not yet materialized, and thus they have not gotten my money.

I think this is called the Osborne effect?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Osborne effect

Yes it is.

The thing is - all the players (Intel, AMD etc) are announcing new products at least annually - if not new architectures, at least a bit faster CPUs and GPUs. That's not a secret. Fastest anything this year won't be fastest next year, and you can save your money for something better on a certain price point indefinitely.

People who need a new computer immediately will just buy whatever is on the market today.

4. Sgt. Pinback

The World (still) Needs AMD

Like Bruce said, we owe a lot to AMD. An Intel without AMD is a very scary scenario from a consumer value standpoint, but everyone (surely) knows this already. ARM is a fortunate counterpoint to the duopoly.

AMD doesn't need to compete with Intel, it's been good since the early 2000's at delivering measurable value purely by differentiating. Nintendo learned that early on with the Gamecube (using, then, ATi), MS and Sony have since figured it out. AMD need to market that message to the rest of the world to be successful.

My biggest complaint of AMD is similar to the first commentard's. I can't buy the AMD solution that I want!

(although I suspect it's more a case of shite motherboard makers lacking imagination in my case - I want small form factor AM3+ for steroidal linux virtualisation)

As for whether or not their processors are good for the average consumer, I think the reflex is to compare them to the older approach of making a PC where the thing is large, noisy and has to have a discreet video card and mechanical disk - that is not what new consumer PC deployments look like. They want small, they want quiet, they want 3D and they want it to playback their pirated TV and movie files without skipping or distorting. This is AMDs exact strength with their APU line of processors, there's no technical reason they can't profit on those use cases.

And I like AMD's new C-level guys. Having Papermaster (Apple's doomed antenna-gate patsy) and Read (who doesn't like an ex-IBMer?) driving the direction of the company sounds like a really good start. Any time I read an interview with either man they just reek good sense. Hopefully this important computing company survives well past the post-PC era.

*in full disclosure: there is not a single AMD processor active in my house at the moment (I'm ignoring my Geode powered firewall). I'm not a fanboy. I just respect that they seem to make some really good shit - Sony/Nintendo/MS seem to agree

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The World (still) Needs AMD

This "people should buy product W, from company X", just so can continue to buy product Y from company X is total crock.

It's hillarious how many dumb asses ended up with a Xbox, just because someone told them Sony needed competition in the gaming sector. It seems like some people are too stupid to see they are being played. "go buy an AMD64 chip", just to keep my Core 2 Duo's cheap....

1. Michael Habel

Re: The World (still) Needs AMD

It's hillarious how many dumb asses ended up with a Xbox, just because someone told them Sony needed competition in the gaming sector. It seems like some people are too stupid to see they are being played. "go buy an AMD64 chip", just to keep my Core 2 Duo's cheap....

And here I thought that Intel had ditched the C2D brand... 'Cause they lost some right(s), to the Core brand name, and so have switchd to the i(n) nomenclature since.

5. John Savard

Unique

AMD, by being licensed to make x86 chips, has a unique advantage that other microprocessor makers do not; it can make chips that people want to buy, because they can be used to run Windows. Therefore, this ought to be something close to a license to print money.

Yes, Intel is much bigger, and so competing head-to-head with Intel is difficult, because Intel has the ability to make the best and most powerful CPUs that anyone can make, given the much larger amount of money it has to spend on the most advanced fabs. I'm surprised Intel isn't trying to pick up the loose change lying around by making better PowerPC chips than IBM and better SPARC chips than Oracle... or, at least, I would be if those markets were worth pursuing. As it is, Intel already has the Itanium to keep it busy.

1. roselan

Re: Unique

yet, intel is at the edge of the precipice.

They lose like 50 to 80$ for each mobile chip they sell if you trust their earning fillings.ARM cpu cost like 15$.

In the server world micro-google-book know for a while that custom chips for their massive operations is a win. (I can't tell if fpga or arm will win, but intel margins won't survive).

So, only the shrinking x86 market remains, and it can be wiped away by google, qualcomm, samsung, apple in a few years, if any of them really care.

AMD is a dent in this shrinking x86 market. Best thing AMD owns is it's x64 license. AMD tries to diversify (mac pro, game console, compute/hetero stuff). But in mobile, i can't see it compete against arm vendors, only it can become on of them.

2. Michael Habel

Re: Unique

AMD, by being licensed to make x86 chips, has a unique advantage that other microprocessor makers do not; it can make chips that people want to buy, because they can be used to run Windows. Therefore, this ought to be something close to a license to print money.

Yes, Intel is much bigger, and so competing head-to-head with Intel is difficult, because Intel has the ability to make the best and most powerful CPUs that anyone can make, given the much larger amount of money it has to spend on the most advanced fabs. I'm surprised Intel isn't trying to pick up the loose change lying around by making better PowerPC chips than IBM and better SPARC chips than Oracle... or, at least, I would be if those markets were worth pursuing. As it is, Intel already has the Itanium to keep it busy.

>Implying that ARM isn't where the "action" of the future will be... Besides who the heck even use PPC these Days... Even Apple had to call time on it, and have since moved to Intel x86...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The good news is...

...that AMD continues to deliver excellent products at fair prices. Intel can't compete with AMD's APUs as Intel's graphics are very poor. On the desktop the Vishera CPUs offer a considerable improvement in performance over the PII CPUs. For overclocker's Vishera is a ton of performance for a very low price. Don't be duped by talking heads and bogus benches, test and see for yourself.

As far as AMD's Biz turn around they are doing pretty well. The only reason for a small loss this quarter is the debt they incurred to buy themselves out of exclusive production by GloFo. Otherwise they would have had a profit again this quarter. If you don't understand Biz you really should not be commenting on AMD's execution or future. The stock market doesn't in any way represent the current or future success of a company. The stock market responds primarily to rumors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like