back to article Facebook in new 'experiment' drama: Will users buy it?

Facebook is dipping a toe into the e-commerce market to test an Amazon-style "Buy now" button on the adverts it serves. The social network is initially rolling out the feature to a select number of small and medium-sized businesses in the US. The button will appear on the website and in its mobile app. It's not only about …

1. Amorous Cowherder

Best of luck, anyone with any sense already has AdBlock. Actually anyone with any sense has already avoided Facebook!

1. Psyx

What Ads?

I've not seen any ads on the internet since I reinstalled Firefox and forgot to download Adblocker...

1. Crazy Operations Guy

If you are using Firefox Sync, then it will automatically install AdBlock for you And most of your other add-ons too). Too bad it seems to have amnesia when it comes to your preferences for search engines though...

2. BillG
      Joke

Facebook was keen to point that it had built the "Buy" button "with privacy in mind"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

2. Alister

Well, That's Ebay and Paypal covered, so when's Zuckerberg rolling out his internet search engine?

Incidentally if Google is The Chocolate Factory, shouldn't Facebook be "The Sugar Mountain"??

3. Lionel Baden

TIFTFY

Other advertisers won't gain access to Facebook users' credit or debit card information YET, the company said

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What?

Naturally, Facebook was keen to point that it had built the "Buy" button "with privacy in mind". It promised that the payment system would be "safe and secure."

Ha, ha, ha hah ha hah a haaaaaaaaaa

5. monkeyfish

About time

I always wondered when FB would wake up and realise it could take on ebay and amazon. Frankly, both of those could do with a bit of competition anyway. Not that I'd want to use the FB version, but I'd certainly welcome a drop in ebay fees.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook keeps giving me ads for Jewish Singles and Muslim Singles. Who do they think I am, the UN?

1. Cynical Observer
      Mushroom

First name Gazza by any chance?

7. Mark 85

Ads will make you stay on FB longer?

Huh? People go there just to see the ads?

8. trottel

Add: Buy-in-my-friends-name button

It is all about sharing, right? I *know* my f-friends would like to have this cute whatchacallit... So i can just buy with their money and have it sent to their home. No need to thank me... What are f-friends for...

F-Book, if you read this, is this business idea worth 19B? I would be happy with 19M...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like