back to article Microsoft's Black Thursday: XBox Live goes down as XBox Studio canned

Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service fell offline this afternoon, San Francisco time, and remained down for at least a couple of hours. The US giant reported that access to its Xbox Live Core Services and TV, Music and Video services were "limited". "We understand that some of our members are running into issues when …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Clearly this XBox thing is just resting.

Incidentally, I got a few warnings about Microsoft Exchange Online status today, though as I could check my mail, I didn't bother to parse what was being said. Something about engineers working hard.

2. Bush_rat
    Meh

It Happens to Everyone...

But if I'm paying a premium to actually go online at all you better make your paywall rock solid...

3. Uncle Siggy

Bullshittery

Glad to see that Microsoft's excuse engine is still working normally.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coincidence? I don't believe it.

The system went down at the same time as massive layoffs? Hah. Is this the same sort of coincidence that put RBS's systems down soon after they laid off all the experts? I wonder if Microsoft has dumped the work on to outsourced scapegoats or if they've just abandoned all support on XBL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Coincidence? I don't believe it.

Surely in a company as big as Microsoft a few individuals couldn't down a major service when they heard the layoff news?

Could they?

Hmmm....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like someone

is looking to earn their keep. Now that the hit list is being prepared for the 18000, wouldn't hurt to flex some muscles and show upper management what a few disgruntled employees can be capable of.

6. Robert Ramsay

Get Indiana Jones

"We have top men working on it."

"Who."

"Top - MEN."

7. D@v3

coincidence?

Any plausibility that this was connected to the extra traffic caused by (probably) millions of people all trying to access the Destiny beta that went live yesterday?

1. NumptyScrub

Re: coincidence?

Destiny beta only went live for the PS4 yesterday; the XBox (both One and 360) beta does not start until the 23rd (i.e. next week). There was no need to remind me though :'(

8. Random Q Hacker

that quarterly profit monster...

When you've got to get your CEO bonus, even profitable divisions go on the chopping block! Publicly traded companies, the sociopaths of corporate personhood!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: that quarterly profit monster...

Yabut.... one thing the XBox et al division isn't, is profitable. Except when the company structure is cleverly manipulated to bring some profitable bits into the division.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been having constant issues logging into XBox live ever since XBox one launched on any of my XBox 360's.

How many times they need an email address for confirmation I really dont know?

1. Down not across

Been having constant issues logging into XBox live ever since XBox one launched on any of my XBox 360's.

How many times they need an email address for confirmation I really dont know?

That "give us yet another email address" farce started long before XBone launch.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

To all fired employees

"Could you turn the lights out when you leave please?"

"No! No! NO! THATS THE WRONG SWITCH!"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is no surprise.

Now, to keep those 99,9999% uptime, they will need to keep running smoothly for... 200 years?

On the other hand, I remember clearly I had to make an hotmail account with a fake address to use on Games for Windows Live, otherwise it wouldn't let me save the a rally game progress. Yes, they deploy a world-wide game, while their online service only works properly if you put a zip code that belongs in the US of A; you are hosed if you live in Australia or some Microsoft-forsaken place. I don't care about freaking warranty and 'online services', I care about the game working properly. Utter BS.

Meanwhile, Steam doesn't give a rat's ass where you live, and never went down AFAIK.

On second thought, wasn't it a patch tuesday that caused xbl to fail? You know, memory leaks take a while... from tuesday to thursday...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is no surprise.

6 nines on a Cloud service? That would truly be a first.

Telco's aim for 5 nines, server people, 3 is about right.

- Google Apps, 3 nines, Office365 3 nines,Salesforce...Ha good luck!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Xbox Live was down for 13 days over Xmas, and on average, it's downtime is worse than PSN....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

13 days? Wow, I thought there were only 12 days of Christmas.

I love your use of evidence and links in your claim, seeing how far fetched it is and all.

1. phil 27
          Thumb Down

Not the OP, but do you not have google while your trolling the (non) troll?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/

What a fantastic example of search engine comparison results also. Or at least for me, its like googling for tianamen square on google.cn :) :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xbox+live+down+for+13+days+at+christmas

www.bing.com/search?q=xbox+live+down+for+13+days+at+christmas

I have a xbox 360, wondered why it wouldnt save the game last night. As I've never paid them a bean, my reaction is limited to a MEH.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

nah I'm too lazy for that, thanks for the links though.

2008 you say? In your links it states "intermittent connection problems" which is not down. Poorly planned and scaled, but not down.

troll out

12. Anonymoist Cowyard

Begining of the end.

Get your popcorn, this is going to be fun...

1. Canecutter

Re: Begining of the end.

Beginning of the end? For whom? Microsoft?

If you mean the beginning of the end for Microsoft, I highly doubt it. They simply have too much money.

It's definitely the end of the beginning for Nadella, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Begining of the end.

Big businesses always cut staff at some point, if they didn't they would become inefficient and bloated. If they don't cut staff, they get bought by other businesses who will do it for them, like has happened here. Most of the staff being made redundant are from the Nokia business.

It's unfortunate that other areas are taking a hit though, good people will lose their jobs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like