back to article Elon Musk GIVES UP ON SEX: He'll make do with a 'cheap' Tesla III instead

Elon Musk has announced that his electric car maker Tesla will have a new model available for sale in 2017 at the relatively cheap* price of $35,000. And he added that he has an oh-so classy name for the flash motor. "We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third …

1. Vector

Just leave it 3

All the l33t kids will know what s3x means!

2. jnffarrell1

Try driving from LA to SF without a pit stop

Maybe there is a hi tech bedpan for the Tesla. If not adding charge every 150-200 miles would work just fine.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Try driving from LA to SF without a pit stop

Yup, a 150-200 mile range is about what I get out of my Puma if I utterly hammer it - more like 300 if I pootle along at 70-80 (km/h, officer).

A range like that on a moderate cruise is fine for most I'd say - enough to get a few days use out of it for the average joe. Not enough for a rep, but then nothing electric ever will be till they perfect the 15min-300mile top up.

Steven R

3. Eddy Ito

What it is about Ford and the letters E and F? It seems to have started with the E-series vans and the F-series pickups now I'd wager most of their model names start with either an E or an F.

1. Steve Knox

F for Ford, E for Edsel?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Tom 13

Re: What it is about Ford and the letters E and F?

The PR types were probably walking the engineering floor, and they kept hearing all the engineers asking "What the F?". Then they walked the production line and they kept hearing all the workers asking "What the F?". And then when they talked with the dealers, they kept being asked "What the F?"

So they figured "Series F" must be a great name for a car because that's what everybody was always talking about.

4. Adrian Harvey

Should have been the U. But Robocop references have been diluted by the new remake I suppose....

1. Piro Silver badge

There's a remake?

1. HelpfulJohn

"There's a remake?"

Unfortunately, yes. And like 99.9999999999% or more of remakes it isn't very good.

The one remake I can remember that was better than the original was 2004's BSG. That one had *far* sexier robots in it. Some of them even had cool, glowy, red bits in their spines, and they dropped the irksome, nauseating semi-mandatory Disney-kid quite rapidly.

Hmmm, maybe I'm being a bit unfair ... the latest remake of "I Am The LAW" didn't suck too much, either. It would have been better had they swapped main actors with Sly's version but one can't have everything, not even in the days of Photoshop.

Can you tell I like SF movies?

5. Herby

SF (San Jose) to LA (Pasadena) nonstop??

Well folks it can be done. You just tank up the nice SUV (all 21 (US) gallons) and go for it. Barreling down I-5 playing Parcheesi with the big-rigs and the SLOW cars that won't get out of your way until you hit Bakersfield. Yes, it can be done. The biggest problem is the wife's bladder, and the want for a nice In-N-Out about half way down (Kettelman City).

Now if Mr. Musk thinks that his nice battery will work at 70+ MPH in the heat of the California Central Valley (AC necessary!) and have the range, I invite him to do it. I suspect the 400 mile range will be a bit diminished in the conditions stated, and I really don't want to spend any more time on I-5 (dull, boring) than I really need to.

Of course, what I usually do is tank up at the Gilroy Costco and get a $1.50 hot dog and soda (tasty for the price), adding a bit of range.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: SF (San Jose) to LA (Pasadena) nonstop??

Well if you're planning an "In-N-Out" with your wife halfway down, doesn't that leave enough time for a fast recharge?

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

@Jan 0

Doesn't California have laws against that sort of thing (in public at least)? Just asking, no reason ...

1. Eddy Ito

Nope, no laws against having a Double-double animal style in Cali that I know of.

Then again you could catch a flight from San Francisco to Long Beach for under a hundred bucks some days of the week and be there in a bit over an hour.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Gotta have the 3x3 protein style!

2. HelpfulJohn

"Well if you're planning an "In-N-Out" with your wife halfway down, doesn't that leave enough time for a fast recharge?"

They can recharge in under a minute?

Cool!

2. Steve Knox
      Happy

Or you could use a Prius C, still one tank or less, but its tank is just 9.5 gallons, saving you roughly $44. (11.5 gallons @ $3.83/gallon [Costco Gilroy's current price])

1. ChrisBedford

Oh, yawn, a Prius. Puh-lease. Put your foot down and expect some sort of reaction maybe this time next week. The Tesla, on the other hand (Matthew Inman reports) gives you whiplash when you accelerate!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Quite a lot of turbo diesels would get you there and back with fuel top spare. They are also a lot nicer to drive than a Prius.

6. adrian727

How about writing 3 in Chinese?

So you have S三X anyway

7. Irony Deficient

the Greek alternative

Does Ford have a Model Ε? (That standalone vowel is a capital ε, pronounced epsilon.)

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: the Greek alternative

Haha, nice catch!

"When is an 'Ε' not an 'E' ? :-)

8. MrDamage Silver badge

Sued over Model E?

Seriously, WTF?

Unholy shitstorm of a precedent there. Lets watch all of the US offices of European car manufacturers sue each other into oblivion for the use of "Spyder"

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Sued over Model E?

@MrDamage: There already has been a big issue in Europe about a complete zero. Do you know how the iconic Porsche 911 got its model number?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_901

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sued over Model E?

Not crazy...

7 (Lotus / Caterham)

911,929 etc. Porsche

M3,M5 etc BMW

and on and on....

9. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

Looking forward to it

At that kind of price (assuming £=$) and range - it will be a serious contender in the compact-mid size executive market.

Given the choice between a high end 3 series/low end 5 series and a model 3 - I suspect a certain % will choose the T3.

Especially if it gets on the main stream fleet management/contract hire provider lists.

I can see some private charging/filling station deals like a lot of bigger fleets already operate for LPG/Diesel.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Looking forward to it

Entry level Model s is £50, so £<$ in this instance.

1. Piro Silver badge

Model S is fifty quid? Bugger me, I better rush to a Tesla dealer right this second and buy a few.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Bah - £50k

Finger trouble, brain trouble - take your pick.

10. tony2heads
    Coat

obvious name for a SU crossover

Tesla SUX

11. John Robson Silver badge

"We were going to call it model E for a while and then Ford sued us saying it wanted to use the Model E," he claimed.

So Ford don't even HAVE a model E - they want to use it.

Who released their announcement first?

Maybe they should use their own initial? the Tesla (Model) T...

12. M7S

We should show Ford the absurdity of its ways on this matter

Perhaps Jaguar, having actually sold the Mk. 2 (amongst others) might be persuaded to sue any American car maker that ever refines a model and tries to retain a normal numbering system.

In fact didn't they use the letter E some decades ago for an iconic car?

13. Bob Wheeler
    WTF?

Car Names/Model Numbers

I;ve heard stories over the years about one side geting upset by another using a similar model number etc.

But I always wonders how come Volvo with thier 850 range, and BWM with their?

I know they are VERT different beasts but still....

14. Mbvdk

from SEX to S3X

not that much different

15. DryBones

Call it the Model A

Buy SAX, you all.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

400 mile range?

My Honda Civic can't reach anything near it, even burning fossils as it is. So much for range anxiety then.

But TOP GEAR ran that autonomy test. A big-honking diesel pickup truck with a metane (er, natural gas) tank in the back, a gasoline BMW, and a 1.5 liter diesel Volkswagen Passat. BMW was towed to finish, the truck failed 1 mile short, while the puny Passat still had it going.

I believe it was 800 miles, not 400, as well.

Can't wait to see the range on the 35k car too.

17. ecofeco Silver badge

Wait! T3?

Oh clever. Very clever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like