back to article Skiddies turn Amazon cloud into 'crime-as-a-service' – security bod

Amazon Web Services' share of cloud-hosted malware-slingers has more than doubled in the last six months. That's according to NTT subsidiary Solutionary, which revealed the finding in its Q2 2014 Security Engineering Research Team (SERT) report published on Tuesday. The infosec researchers said that, out of the top ten ISPs …

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Mushroom

Microsoft to the rescue!

I presume Microsoft is now going to attempt to take control of AWS now?

After all, they aren't just running DNS services, but the actual malware!

What more evidence does an idiot judge need to hand the keys over to a private company that thinks it's the World police has no mandate for law enforcement whatsoever?

1. Mark 85

Re: Microsoft to the rescue!

So, following that bit of logic, Microsoft will soon control everything and everyone? Pity they can't just close the holes in their OS's.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: Microsoft to the rescue!

Haha indeed, I have said time and time again, based on their logic in that court case, I could take control of the windows and microsoft domains as they appear to be promoting the use of an OS which aids in the distribution on malware.

2. Otto is a bear.

Naaah

Just offer better commercial terms and ease of use, and then Microsoft can host the malware, after all it's a competitive market out there, and criminals always look for good deals.

One day all our data will be in the same cloud as the malware, for efficiency purposes you understand.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

binaries?

Seems to be a lot of scripts running from awas too .. But flag up http based attacks and they usually respond quite quickly.. Unlike some other hosting companies

4. Queasy Rider

when we find misuse we take action quickly and shut it down

Well, there's the problem. The miscreant just moves on to the next service provider, without even a slap on the wrist. Zero risk. No reason to quit.

5. Franklin

"Companies that do see malicious activity originating from AWS should contact us immediately at ec2-abuse@amazon.com."

I've done this on many occasions, only to receive a "thank you for your report, we have confirmed an Amazon EC2 instance was running at the address you specified" form email in response...and days or weeks later, it's still there.

Perhaps the problem is I'm a person and not a company? If companies can be people, shirley people can be companies too?

6. ispose

I like what they've done there though - the abuse report email address for Amazon:

ec2-abuse@amazon.com

very clever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like