back to article Piece of Apple close to smashing CRAZY 2012 share price record

Apple stock has soared to a high unmatched since the glory days of 2012, with analysts predicting its price could continue to skyrocket and reach record levels. The price of a fruity share is now sitting at $96.45. When you adjust that to take into account the recent one-to-seven stock split, that's not far off from the record …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those of us who work in computing are in an industry where we are usually (and correctly) penalised for seeing nonexistent patterns in things.

Must be weird working in finance, where you get rewarded for it.

2. Gordon 10

Hmmm I smell a deliberate pump and dump. Would anyone care to explain how apples fortunes have materially changed in the last 9 months - their product line certainly hasn't.

The only legitimate thing I can suggest would be if Samsungs current woes are an indication that peak Android has been reached band that Apple might benefit. - not trollling.

If you take hardware Gizmo's aside Apple still has a slight edge in the UI/human interface layer - even if I think IOS 7 is dog barf.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They were undervalued and people are realising it - that along with the new product launches.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung v Apple

The reports I read said that Samsung attributed their change in fortunes to pressures at the lower end from Chinese competition, not at the high end. They might not have made as much per phone on those low end phones as they make on a GS5, but they sell many many more of them. Or sold, now that the Chinese are coming along happy to accept more threadbare margins.

That's the problem Samsung faces with Android - they don't really add any value so if a consumer sees an equivalent product for less, that's one less sale for Samsung. A customer who wants an iPhone can only buy from Apple, so they're insulated from that. Samsung should be much more worried about losing their high end business to competitors like Xiaomi than losing it to Apple, because Apple won't compete on price.

There are of course some who may prefer an iPhone but will accept an Android if they save enough money, but so far that doesn't appear to have been a problem for Apple, as those people have been more than balanced out by new iPhone customers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple Share price

has and if the current trend continues it will fund my retirement nicely. Before the critics start wailling, I bought my first tranche of shares in 1998 when I was living in the US and working for Compaq. The company was far less stable then than it is now.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Apple Share price

only if you sell at the right time or they continue doing special dividends......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...easiest job in tech...

Easier than scanning other sites for rumours and reposting them here?

5. David Kelly 2

Not Newsworthy, Yet

AAPL is $95.32 as I write, $4.82 short of its adjusted high of $100.14. Way too early to celebrate. Unless your goal was to simply get published. To beat others who don't have any ideas who will do the same thing. This is only the first of many.

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Investment advice

When Jasper stops predicting doom for Apple - sell, sell, sell!

7. MyDoorKnob

A couple of months

... until the umpteenth round of same old, same old from Apple.

Its growth was from spurting three different iToys into untapped markets - Pod, Phone, Pad - and the Emperor's wardrobe has been looking So Last Year, Daahling for quite a long while now.

Maybe, before too long, iWatches. But those will be a notch higher up the I'm-a-plonker-look-at-the-logo-I'm-flashing ladder, appealing to a smaller group of the acolytes who don't understand what sort of prat looks back at them from the mirror in the morning. So, not the same mass appeal / revenue, if that's the best they are about to innovate.

Meanwhile, Apple looks to become the supreme tainted gadget maker in China, which could have been the big untapped market for the next few years.

Yep. Smells like pump-and-dump.

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: A couple of months

Your point could have been made without the childish apple bashing. Why wasn't it?

8. jai

But... you told us Peak Apple had happened?

I'm confused. El Reg has spent the last 2 years telling us that 2012 was PEAK Apple and it's all doom and gloom for the company since.

But they've totally failed to tell us that the stock price has been on the rise again recently. I suspect El Reg was delibrately spreading the PEAK Apple sub-headline in order to drive down the price so they could buy up cheap stock. And now they have a big pile of stock, they're telling us the price is on the rise in the hope we also buy more and push the price higher.

Skullduggery and duplicity are afoot!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But... you told us Peak Apple had happened?

Not just "theReg".

The Anal-ysts have been driving the PEAK Apple thing for ages, on no basis whatsoever.

I guess they all bought in at the bottom after they figured the price couldn't be pushed downward any further.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like