back to article Do YOU work at Microsoft? Um. Are you SURE about that?

What is being described as the "biggest round of job cuts" to hit Microsoft for five years is on its way, or so we've been told. The software mammoth “could” unveil staff cuts that were alluded to by chief executive Satya Nadella in his flabby PR-authored communication last week. The cuts are reported to be the biggest in …

1. James 51

Why not let people on both sides compete for the jobs? There are probably a lot of people in Nokia with more experience in their positions. It seems like a waste to just decide to axe everyone from there.

1. Steven Raith
      Joke

Because the Nokia staffers might have differing opinions to the incumbent MS staff, and so must be sacrificed for The Greater Good.

"The Greater Good!"

"Oh, will you stop that??"

Steven R

(possilble double post, can't edit my previous version with poor speelung...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mistake ?

The company missed analyst expectations of $17.1bn for the period, making 17.63bn revenue instead.

Is this a mistake ... surely if the analyst's expected $17.1 bn and MS made 17.63 bn revenue this is a good thing ?

1. AndrueC Silver badge

Re: Mistake ?

Is this a mistake ... surely if the analyst's expected $17.1 bn and MS made 17.63 bn revenue this is a good thing ?

Does it mean that the analysts were expecting $17.1bn profit not revenue? Although that would mean they saw $4bn instead of $17bn which is a nasty, nasty surprise so doesn't make much sense either.

1. H H

The wording in the article doesn't make much sense. Some googling gave me this.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/272747/net-profit-by-quarter-of-the-microsoft-corporation/

It would seem the second quarters of 2008 and 2009 are "just like any other quarter" but order has since been restored with Q2 of 2010-2014 netting some 15-25% above the average quarter.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

We actually live in Bizarro World, so this is entirely logical.

3. xyz Silver badge

ATTENSHUN!

All those who think the start button is old fashioned take one step forward.

[sound of machine guns being cocked]

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: ATTENSHUN!

All those who "old fashioned" is a legitimate reason for removing functionality take one step forward.

[sound of machine guns being cocked]

T,FTFY

Just because something is old fashioned doesn't mean it is no longer useful. Computers are tools. Fashion shouldn't matter one whit.

1. Mpeler
        Thumb Up

EXACCCCCTTTTLY (to quote Jack Dalton, from MacGyver).

Some people want something new, whether or not it's better.

I want something better, whether or not it's new.

Just a new version of snake-oil salesmen, or, "eversomuchmoreso" (Homer Price)

1. P. Lee
          Trollface

> Some people want something new, whether or not it's better.

That would be the marketing people.

> I want something better, whether or not it's new.

That would be why the tech industry is in trouble. You destroyer of the economy! Why can't you just consume the new stuff like everyone else?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad, but hardly surprising

Microsoft has finally seen experienced something never had to cope with before: competition. But instead of actually listening to their fan and customerbase they simply continued doing that which they always did.

So in a time where the economy is already fragile Microsoft started on a "how to tick off your customers" campaign. You see it happening on Windows (Vista being a failure, now Windows 8 which heads down the same road), systems administration (no more TechNet; it may seem like a non-issue now, just give it 6 more months or so...) and of course even their Developers, developers, developers -base. A lot of those, if not the most (I can't tell for sure of course) actually prefer sticking with Visual Studio 2010 and are more than happy to ignore all the modern idiocy (as in: "Look guys, no colours; isn't that MUCH easier to use? Oops, you're right; we'll bring some colours back. Look guys: a new version, we brought most of the colours back. See? We LISTEN to our customers!").

Governments can get away with idiocy like that, and even then only to a certain degree, but a commercial company which is actually heavily depending on their customers for their income?

So yeah, I think its a sad development but I can't say that it really surprises me.

I just hope that the new CEO can put a stop to all the idiocy and roll back some of the recent brain-dead decisions. Provided it's not already too late of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sad, but hardly surprising

On the contrary, Microsoft have lots of experience with competition (usually dealt with in an extremely ruthless and monopolistic fashion).

1. joeW

Bill Gates didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques.

BUY HIM OUT BOYS!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft tended to look at a new competitors product (often a smaller start up or a huge expensive rival) and fix the flaws, make it cheaper/easier to use and do well.

These days they seem to take a competitors idea, add their own huge flaws, try to use it to leverage the Windows OS, make it overpriced and annoying to use.

1. Captain DaFt

"Microsoft tended to look at a new competitors product (often a smaller start up or a huge expensive rival) and fix the flaws, make it cheaper/easier to use and do well."

Actually, Microsoft has a long history of forming 'Strategic Partnerships', shafting their partners and kicking them to the curb.

These days, there's not many left that fall for that ruse, so Microsoft has to fall back on its own 'innovation', and we see how well that's working out for them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

actually prefer sticking with Visual Studio 2010

That's crazy.. being 2 versions of VS out of date, even though it's (said to be) backwards compatible??

Who would have thought it? At work, we're all on VS2010 still. At home? I've moved to IntelliJ IDEA.

4. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

"...their fan and customerbase..."

I can deal with customer base, I can deal with technical managers who buy Microsoft systems because of compatibility and legacy requirements and perhaps because of costs, but I'm having real difficulty with the idea of a Microsoft fan.

And it has just occured to me that the absence of actual fans might be the problem that Microsoft has.

The Tramp: sitting in the sun watching the world go by. Haven't seen a Microsoft device yet!

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Facepalm

"And it has just occured to me that the absence of actual fans might be the problem that Microsoft has."

At some point, the idea might occur to someone at Microsoft!

The problem with being the default operating system on every computer shipped.

// have an upvote

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you might be wrong in respect to the lack of Microsoft fans. You'll find quite a few here in the reg, even windows phone fans. Just because you haven't found any in real life it doesn't mean that they don't exist. Just look at the comments and the votes on any windows phone article here.

I've met one, at least (I hope that the fact that he is a phb doesn't disqualify him automatically).

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Fire a few people?

As long as they start at the top I don't mind.

Step forward anyone who thought that METRO was a good idea on the desktop

Step forward those who thought that the Surface-RT was going to sell gazillions

Right, that's most of the marketing department and Balmers 'yes men' gone.

don't forget to take your coats with you when you leave...

1. dogged

Re: Fire a few people?

Sinofsky's already gone.

2. Zane

Re: Fire a few people?

Balmers' 'yes men' will stay for sure.

If you're clever, now is the time to leave MS.

/Zane

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's leverage at your behind.

Could they loose the KMS / VAMR / licensing experts, no forget that, how about lynch them.

I'm not bitter, not twitching, it's quite simple and its only a few hours to get to know the system from cold and how it interacts with third party firewalls.

I understand that as a company to protect your IP you need to punish those who pay for the licenses.

They need to do something, as all I get on each new version is a bit more resentful of the attempts to wring new money from previously content customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's leverage at your behind.

"I understand that as a company to protect your IP you need to punish those who pay for the licenses."

It's much more about punishing those that don't pay for your licenses. Hence why the Chinese are so pissed off Windows XP support has ended - and they have banned Windows 8 as they can't crack the licensing...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That's leverage at your behind.

You may have missed the ironic point, a bit.

I'm not in China and have made it my job to ensure we are studiously compliant on licensing for the last decade or so. One would hope from that my interaction with the OS would be easier than some freeloading type from a distant land. Have you played with KMS VAMR? its probably OK if that's what you do all day but fuck me I hate it for just a few installs of MS server to keep a few things going. I don't want MS server specifically, I want to just be able to get on and do stuff without loosing hours reading up on the latest crap aimed at stopping others.

Pointing out that MS have problems elsewhere does not make me feel good about it but thanks for the information.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Marketing is the first point of call for any CEO looking to trim the corporate fat."

Incorrect. "Function XXX is the first point of call for any CEO as long as he/she DOES NOT COME FROM Function XXXX"

"$4.17bn profit." Evidently, something has to be done. These are too small profits, people must be fired. How sad. Yes, maybe there is some degree of redundancy between the acquired Nokia mobile division and MS. Seriously doubt that there is 500 million worth of redundancy.

Guess what comes next? Yet another round of "Enterprise customer licensing reviews"....

8. Lyrik

Progress

It's a good thing Windows is getting competition or soon their OS's would demand more resources than current home computers can give us with fifteen desk tops and dancing icons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Progress

"It's a good thing Windows is getting competition "

What is this competition of which you speak? Windows still has over 90% desktop and 75% server market share...

9. Bladeforce

Hey Nadella...

..just sell the company, i wont bat an eyelid

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can hardly have any simpathy

for marketing people. If I ever had any then Microsoft ads cured me of that.

11. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I don't suppose Microsoft have considered listening to the folks who buy their products and making software and services that those individuals and corporations actually want. Perhaps without a convoluted licensing system and prices that are affordable by all? A volume play, some might say. It worked for them in the past.

I just don't know that pissing away market share and attempting to capture the high-margin end of the market is going to work all that well. They face entrenched high-margin companies like Apple and Oracle on one side, and mad commoditsation by Amazon and Google on the other.

It strikes me then that the only real play is a populist one...so why is that the exact opposite of what they're attempting?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More 'Bungee Management' games...

Microsoft... You're a dinosaur who let Google win, how could you do that??? Sure, bounce-in some new heads and play more management games...Meantime, keep sticking your head up your own a$$....

13. AlbertH

MS are just beginning to realise that the have no viable product for over 90% of their previous userbase. Users don't want Windoze 8 - it's a tacky, unstable, bloated resource-hog that won't run most legacy software and looks like a toddler's toy. Windows 7 nearly got it right, but rather than sort out the problems, they decided to ditch it in favour of their brightly-coloured computer game.

In terms of underlying software issues - their products are still based on the nasty, flawed, unstable NT kernel - they still haven't had a better idea. Unless they wake up, realise where their core business comes from and redesign their offerings from the ground up, they're dead. They just haven't stopped twitching yet.....

MS got rid of the real programming talent in the last round of job cuts (that's where Google got many of theirs). They really have dug themselves a very large hole!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Users don't want Windoze 8 - it's a tacky, unstable, bloated resource-hog that won't run most legacy software and looks like a toddler's toy."

Well it might look like a toddlers toy, but its rock solid stable and faster and more efficient than any previous version of Windows - or when benchmarked against the latest Ubunto for instance. It also runs almost anything that Windows 7 did.

"their products are still based on the nasty, flawed, unstable NT kernel"

The Windows NT kernel is a hybrid micro kernel - similar to XNU - that potentially allows greater control / seperation / modularity than say a legacy monolithic (for instance Linux) type kernel.

14. Faye Kane, homeless brain

microsoft's big mistake

Here's Microsoft's problem:

They try to do what's best for Microsoft instead of doing what would make their customers happy.

But that's not their mistake.

Their mistake is thinking there's a difference.

-- faye kane ♀ girl brain

sexiest astrophysicist you'll ever see naked

15. SpiderPig

phoneys

After witnessing the great MS successes in the past such as Zune, MS TV etc., getting rid of any of the ex-Nokia people and replacing them with MS drones will mean the success of the buyout will be one great failure....again. It will then propel that less than optimal desktop port of WM8 to the bottom of the heap where it belongs.

Blackberry can only be rubbing their hands with glee.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: phoneys

"Blackberry can only be rubbing their hands with glee."

Is glee that stuff you get growing on everything after several months lying sunk at the bottom of the ocean?

16. EssEll
    Angel

Won't somebody think of the children?

Microsoft bashing is great fun, and I have partaken of my share of it over the years. But at the end of the day, there's potentially thousands of people who are going to be losing their jobs in what is (in the US at least) still a depressed economy.

Will be interesting to hear who ends up going, but irrespective of that I'll still have sympathy for them.

17. JeffUK

To be fair, a lot of the people who call the office claiming to be "Calling From Microsoft" don't actually work for Microsoft either

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cost Center

You know the end is approaching when the top of the heap considers the bottom of the heap a "cost center" not a "profit center". Filthy non c-suite employees expecting to get paid and reducing profits, geez what is the matter with those guys anyway.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft caught Nokia virus

$600M promised cost savings? Microsoft bought around $2,5B of running costs from Nokia - in form of salaries. There is no savings from patents royalties and also support fees to Nokia were already practically extinct by mid of 2013. How big layoffs we are talking about here? Is Microsoft going to join the 10 000 layoffs high club?

1. TheVogon

Re: Microsoft caught Nokia virus

"You know the end is approaching "

You know Microsoft's share price hit the highest its been in well over a decade yesterday?

"Microsoft bought around $2,5B of running costs from Nokia - in form of salaries"

The Nokia mobile division generates revenue also. They were close to break even under Nokia, and considering the stellar YoY growth of Nokia Lumia sales should be profit making by next quarter's results.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like