back to article Diary note: Pluto's close-up is a year from … now!

NASA's New Horizons mission will arrive at Pluto 364 days from … now! Launched in January 2006, the craft passed Jupiter back in 2007. It hasn't had much to do since, as while it has passed the orbits of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune the planets weren't there at the time. NASA's not worried about that, because New Horizons' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

To boldly go

It also contains the names of lots of space nuts (including my son's). I must remind him he has nearly arrived.

(OK, I am the space nut, getting his name on the space craft was a birthday gift).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: To boldly go

I hope you told him when he was passing Uranus...

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Excellent Work, NASA

See title.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Good...

... I was getting tired of Mars!

4. bigphil9009

Question

Does anyone know why it will take 9 months for the full data download to occur? It can't be the distance (the report says that the light RTT will be about 8 hours at that distance). Is it bandwidth-related? Or can't they get enough time on the Deep Space Network?

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Does anyone know why it will take 9 months for the full data download to occur?"

That's how long it will take for Starbucks to set up a franchise.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Question

bigphil9009,

I'd imagine the bandwidth is going to suck for nice pictures. So it'll store those and start transmitting the most interesting data first. After all, we now have better instruments than the old probes did. And we can often do more things at once, and stick the results into storage for later transmission.

Just a guess, but are any of the gas giants moving between us and the probe in that period as well? They're noisy and might interfere with the signal.

The other option is that NASA cut costs too much and used O2 for their data...

3. cray74

It's primarily bandwidth related, but that drives Deep Space Network access. The radio transmissions get pretty feeble transmitting from Pluto's neighborhood to Earth when they started out at ~15 Watts, which means it takes a long time to deliver a bit of information.

From Pluto, transmission rates are expected to be 1 kilobit per second (versus the 38kb/s New Horizons achieved at Jupiter). At 1 kb/s, it takes a while to deliver ~8 gigabytes of data - about 3 months if the receiver can pay attention to New Horizons alone.

But because of the low transmission rates, DSN time then plays into it. New Horizons needs the 70-meter dishes and there are only 3 of those (I think), which have to switch between a number of deep space missions. And then you're up to 9 months, especially if some sections need to be re-transmitted.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

For those more up on the DSN than me, are NASA considering putting a satellite up to improve the network? I know that there's some capability to use some probes to relay from others - but would it be worth putting something at one of the Lagrange points?

I wonder if this could be a job for a small collection of micro sats to work as an array antenna? Then the array might be able to point in different directions at once.

4. Hopalong

Bandwidth. At that distance the download rate will be 1Kbits/s using the 70m dishes of the Deep Space Network. (they might be able to do 2Kbits/s with some upgrades to the DNS)

Also, the DNS is needed for a lot of other missions, so there will be a schedule balancing act as well.

5. annodomini2

Could we also have to deal with Sun transiting at that point aswell?

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Is it bandwidth-related? "

Yes. low power x narrow bandwidth --> long download time.(even with some lossless compression)

This is a fly by mission. NASA get's 1 shot at this data. It's several Gb at (IIRC) 1200bps.

And the dump from the Kuiper belt will be slower.

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

Answerphone

This is Uranus. I'm afraid I'm not here at the moment. Please leave a message after the tone.

And no sniggering.

Beep!

6. John Sanders
    Boffin

If only they had sent another couple of spacecrafts.

An orbiter to Neptune. (A lifelong dream of mine)

And a probe to Uranus. (A lifelong dream for airport & border security)

7. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Pluto Energetic Particle Spectrometer Science Investigation

Ok, so how much did a certain soft drink company pay for *that* bit of product placement?!

1. Tiny Iota
      Headmaster

Re: Pluto Energetic Particle Spectrometer Science Investigation

I’d hazard a guess at zero. Or at least if they did, they’d be annoyed that the rather redundant “Science” was stuck in there to give the acronym another “S”, making it nice and non-trademarked

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: Pluto Energetic Particle Spectrometer Science Investigation

I’d hazard a guess at zero.

It's "Coke Zero," not "Pepssi Zero!"

8. The Bobster

For balance...

I hope there's a Charon Oxygen Kollection Experiment

9. cortland

Already on file!

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Pluto

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like