back to article Chinese biz bloke builds his OWN 3,500-mile Tesla charger network

Disappointed at the lack of charging stations for his Tesla S electric car in his home province, a Guangdong-based businessman has responded in typically Chinese fashion: he built his own. And not just one, either. According to English-language news site Caixin Online, 44-year-old Zong Yi used his own money to buy and install …

1. Charles Manning

So...

80 hours of charging and 50 hours of driving to travel the 5000km route.

Seems insane when the cities are probably already connected by China's amazing rail network that whips along at 350km/h and does the same distance in 15 hours.

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: So...

You beat me to it, Charles!

But, I think 5,000 km must be the scenic route ... Guangzhou to Beijing is only a bit more than 2,000 km and about 9 hours by train.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

You did read that these are just "starter" station and that he will build faster stations?

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward

@ecofeco:

You mean that Tesla (not the guy in question) want to build faster stations? I read that in the article...

2. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

Whatever else you might think...

... Thumbs up to the guy for not just sitting there and thinking "Someone should do something", but getting off his backside and getting it done!

Of course over here he wouldn't have been able to do it without forms signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters...

1. Alister

Re: Whatever else you might think...

I can't think why you got 2 downvotes for that Graham, maybe someone doesn't like HHGTTG.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I hire this guy?

I'd like him to put this stuff over here in Brazil, all over the place. Brazil north to south is about the same size as China. And no Tesla cars in sight.

For all purposes, he is just offering free eletricity, which is not illegal. Yet. Not that I heard of.

On second thought, is he using SAE J1772 plugs? I mean, not just Tesla, but your average Miev or Leaf should plug in as well. That's what I call 'privately funded incentive to using electric cars'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I couldn't help reading this and thinking that due to the geographic location that i wouldn't be surprised if they said they were buying a boat load, got one demo device and then reverse engineer it and made their own instead... Cant really blame them if it saves a few yuan.

Although you can really have this idea without thinking about counterfeit apple chargers lol..

5. Frumious Bandersnatch

Grrr

So it's that Tesla. I'm disappointed. I thought he'd managed to get Nikola Tesla's wireless power transmission system working.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like