back to article iWatch 'due November'... Y'all know what time it is? Now you do

The mythical Apple iWatch will, presumably, tell the time, but that doesn't mean the iThing maker will be punctual in unveiling it, claims an analyst. Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple watcher, has predicted the mass production of the smartwatch – whose existence has yet to be confirmed by Apple – will not begin until November. He claimed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's quite hard to release a product "late" when that product has not even been announced yet and thus does not have anything resembling a delivery deadline.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

The rumors started around the end of 2012 and Apple are kinda responsable for some of the rumors , and since lots of others already exist, then yes they are kinda "late for a very important date".

Can we have a El Reg unit which can quantify "Rumor to Market" time..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree: pointless self-aggrandizement by an analyst. You cannot be late if you have no deadline.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

pointless self-aggrandizement by an analyst

Followed by an article from Jasper commenting upon the rumour from an analyst. The circle is complete.

3. Moonshine
      Stop

This is the most over-hyped non-existent product in history. Why someone would wear a watch that will surely (unless something exceptional emerges) need charging every few days is beyond me. Other smartwatches have bombed but this may be different, but only because the iSheep will obey and "go buy".

Expect queues in Oxford street, ecstatic young males looking like come weird church sect, high-fiving the blue-shirted iClergy.

1. Sander van der Wal

Overhyped? By whom? Not by Apple, they haven't said a word.

The press is overreporting.

1. Moonshine

Agreed it's not directly hyped by Apple.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Moonshine,

It is important to highlight the word "directly".....

2. Lallabalalla

Overhyped iWatch?

I think the most hyped non-product has to be the Apple TV Set, after all the iWatch *may actually exist some day soon.

2. Matt_payne666

My watch costs near on 10 times what an iwatch is likely to cist and that requires charging less than every two days, more often if I use the chronograph a lot...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Matt_payne666

What the hell watch do you have that costs four figures but requires CHARGING?

I wouldn't buy a watch that required charging every two days if cost $25.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have two objections to an iWatch.

First, it won't be waterproof to 100 meters and I do go there on occasion.

Second, but more importantly, it's made by Apple. I'll have nothing to do with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It isn't permanently implanted in your body

Can't help with your second objection, but your first is rather stupid.

Its not a pacemaker, you can leave it on the surface. You don't go to 100 meters with your smartphone, do you?

There's nothing in particular stopping them from making it waterproof to 100 meters, since some watches are made to do so. If it used wireless charging it wouldn't necessarily have to have any openings on it. But even if that was the case I'll bet it would be only rated to a few feet, or maybe 10 meters, since that's deeper than 99% of people ever go. Those who dive to 100 meters or more are the definition of a "niche market".

Off topic, but when I was a kid my dad gave me a 25 jewel Swiss diver's watch he got as a perk for depositing $10K in a bank in the Bahamas. It was rated to 660 feet, I believe. I wore it in the pool, wore it in the shower, because I figured I didn't need to bother to take it off. Only problem was that when the chrome plating on the back wore off after a few years it was not stainless steel underneath, it rusted, and eventually water got inside from the back! Only watch I ever wore regularly - I have an iPhone, but the only thing I could see buying an iWatch for is fitness tracking. If I buy one I'll wear it during workouts only.

2. jake Silver badge

Who actually wears a watch anymore?

I can see the time damn near anywhere I look. This has been true since roughly 1985. Not that it makes much sense in the first place ... The Sun is a great clock, if you have clues. When it's dark, SLEEP!

Heading there now ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who actually wears a watch anymore?

Some people like to wear a watch rather than having to use their phone for the time and modern watches often do more than just tell the time. The Sun is a great clock if you have nothing else but if we took your advice we would be going to sleep before 5pm in December (here in the UK) which is not really practical for most?

1. Dave 126

>The Sun is a great clock, if you have clues. When it's dark, SLEEP!

Alas, we have to work and cooperate with other people, which often requires being in the same place in the same time.

This came to a head with 'Railway Time', because having every town marking 12:00 Noon a few minutes before the next town to the West made railway timetables a bugger to comprehend.

2. DiViDeD

"going to sleep before 5pm in December (here in the UK) which is not really practical for most?"

Well, not for most of us, but hey, I'm willing to give it a try, y'know - for science and all.

1. AceRimmer

"going to sleep before 5pm in December (here in the UK) which is not really practical for most?"

I'm sure they tried this in an episode of the Good Life

2. dotdavid
      Coat

Who actually wears a watch anymore?

Who actually buys cars anymore? I can walk to damn near anywhere I want to go. This has been true since roughly the dawn of time. Not that it makes much sense in the first place... humans have always had legs, USE THEM!

Using them to get my coat now ...

3. garden-snail
      FAIL

You seem to be making the assumption that smartwatches do nothing but tell the time.

For me the major benefit of a smartwatch is the ability to read and dismiss notifications without having to take my phone out of my pocket.

iWatch? No, I'm waiting for the Moto 360...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@garden-snail

Yes, because taking your phone out of your pocket is such a chore...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I do.

Surprisingly, for folks in the RealWorld(tm), accurately knowing the time is kind of helpful.

I could use the Sun, of course, but to tell the time with any accuracy I'd need a decent compass and a map in order to calculate my time zone and the offset from solar time. I'd also need the map to confirm my bearing as the compass is going to be inaccurate in a city.

All in all, a watch is preferable.

Well, until the railway timetables start having entries like "around sunrise" or "around about noon".....

1. AceRimmer

"Well, until the railway timetables start having entries like "around sunrise" or "around about noon"....."

Welcome to the TransPennine Express

5. jai

"The Sun is a great clock, if you have clues. When it's dark, SLEEP"

it's not really a great clock, is it? a clock should be consistent.

the sun rose at 5am this morning. it will set at 21:12 tonight - although it's not actually "dark" until well past 10pm.

but in January, the sun doesn't rise until 8am and it sets at 16:19. Your so-called "Sun" clock either requires that we all are allowed to work felxible hours during the year, or that our bosses don't mind if we fall asleep at our desks on winter afternoons (at least, without having to hide it)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

The sun is consistent. It was clocks that originally needed to either be set each day to the correct solar time, or made to account for seasonal differences (through clever clockwork).

Over time, it was decided the sun was wrong, and the clocks were correct.

In reality, there is no "right or wrong" with this, just a preferred reference frame. As we now have globalisation and other forms of communication and work (travel east and west as mentioned above ;) ), then our relative importance changed... to the clocks time. :)

3. RISC OS

I don't know anyone

that still uses a watch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know anyone

I honestly find that hard to believe. So *none* of your friends, colleagues or family use watches - *ever*?

1. RISC OS

No. None

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It seems we should pity him for having no friends, or even acquaintences

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

"He writes that it's likely Apple's wearable computer will be enclosed in sapphire glass and have a long, thin screen which is quite different to the usual round watch-face."

@RISC OS

Think of it as more of a messaging and health monitoring device strapped to your wrist and less as a portable timepiece.

Quick check on watch wearing: tends to be males who habitually wear suits. Non-suit wearing males and most females no longer seem to feel the need to strap a small metal or plastic pod onto their arm. Suspect status messaging by suited males but I can't read the codes (see icon). Apple will market to the non-suited ones about use cases that don't involve time.

Teenagers? Almost none. One or two with digital watches.

1. Dave 126

@ keithpeter, "health monitoring device "

Agreed. Only a few days ago, the Clinical Director of the NHS was saying that 'telemedcine' will play a large part in the future of healthcare. Our population is growing older. If you compare the resources in transporting an elderly person to a clinic once a week to the resources in monitoring them in their own hoime, it is a no-brainer. Those human resources could be redeployed into making them feel more comfortable and less isolated in their own homes.

Hearing aids will become more common. Already the latest models can be controlled from a smartphone. If it suits you to adjust the volume several times an hour, then doing so by means of a wrist-mounted device is easier than hoiking a phone out of your pocket. You could also sit with our 'watch' closer to the person you are speaking to, allowing the mature technology of multi-mic noise isolation to improve clarity.

3. cambsukguy

You don't know anyone or you are mistaken, or worse.

1. RISC OS

No one I know uses them, they all have mobiles.

You are mistaken or worse.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A mobile phone makes a very poor watch, in fact. A good alarm clock though.

4. Strange Fruit

When Apple is the subject, the term 'Analyst' appears to be a synonym for 'rumour-monger'

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I want to be an analyst

And be paid for guessing wrong about Apple. Clearly, the challenge is to create the perfect rumour storm, so here goes:

Apple's iWatch has been delayed by problems with its fingerprint reader. In tests, the reader, which is shaped like Kim Kardashian's buttocks, has been found to accidentally launch drone attacks on Al Qaeda.

Makes about as much sense as any other rumour. I'm available for tech conferences, TV interviews, etc

1. Dave 126

Re: I want to be an analyst

Yeah. No analyst makes the point that the company with $20 Beellion in the bank knows what the hell it is doing. Any issue that an 'analyst' can see in Apple's near future, Apple with have already employed a lot of smart people and resources to investigate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already a bit late to be part of your Gear

It was due ages ago. Likely any further delay simply means it is a bit crap compared to Gear.

Not that that will stop people buying it.

1. Dave 126

Re: Already a bit late to be part of your Gear

Whilst the 'throw in everything but the kitchen sink' concept of the Gear appeals to a part of me, I'd actually prefer a simpler, more focused device. Like a normal wristwatch. Or a normal wristwatch that uses a ring of RGB LEDs to denote notifications and directions to GPS waypoints. Much of what I'd like a watch to do is to control other devices -this shouldn't be an insurmountable challenge to the traditional watch shape, since my existing watch already has a rotating bezel (read: 'scroll-wheel').

1. Frankee Llonnygog

A kitchen sink on your wrist? Now THAT's interesting. Mount a kettle on the other wrist and you're on to something

1. Dave 126
          Coat

Kettle on the wrist? But where's the iTea angle?

6. Mr.Mischief

Another PR exercise

I wouldnt be surprised if this rumor was started by Apple in the first place.

Get people talking about the product to bridge the time from now till launch.

Say something is going to be delayed.. and then launch on schedule.

SURPRISED fanbois will be throwing their iPhone5 in the nearest dumpster to buy one pronto.

1. Just Another SteveO

Re: Another PR exercise

Really?

Given that any 'smart watch' is likely to need to link to a 'smartphone', it would seem somewhat unlikely...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's likely to be Apple's first big flop in a long time.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Coat

Re: It's likely to be Apple's first big flop in a long time.

I'll just leave this here...

iPhone 5c

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like