back to article SOCA says: We are hitting serious criminals

The UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) has said it is making progress in the fight against high-impact crime. The agency published its second annual report on Thursday highlighting increased seizures of Class A drugs and the confiscation of criminals' wealth. Earlier this week the agency came under fire for abandoning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G
    Alert

Check the maths

SOCA say´s it was `involved´ in the seizing of 90 tons of class A drugs, involved implies other agencies were involved too. It then goes on to say that seizures included 6Bn pounds worth of cocaine at street value, I don't know where they normally buy their coke from but that alone works out to about 120 tons. We are out thirty tons somewhere. Who has got it?

Investigating 2000 people or organisations means diddly what was the result of the investigations anything at all ? It all sounds like the usual spin that is always trotted out to justify the annual budget, too small or not, just to try and keep this particular empire going.

2. Cameron Colley

Drugs?

More dangerous drugs are sold by your local pharmacy that your local drug dealer.

Funny how the organised crime squad spend so much time on something they turned into crime in the first place -- there wouldn't be Afghani opium trafficers if people could grow poppys freely, for example.

Still, glad I'm being protected from the criminals they've created...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Chris G

Yes! you wrote maths, not math. I like you. Err, what was the article about again?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Galling

Like the comments before, I cannot see how the drug seizure figures for SOCA are calculated. Unless that they count all the drug found on vessels at sea being 100% destined for the UK. Sneaky! There is nothing there to show how many officers have either returned to force (and are not being replaced), retired (taken on to SOCA in 2006 when they had less than two years service to retirement and not being replaced) or applied to go back to HMRC ( and not being replaced). Seems to me SOCA do not want an Investigation arm, but to rely solely on the Intervention (Intelligence) arm. Doesn't work, does it? I find it woeful that their Cheif thinks it "despicable" that current staff have spoken out against the organisation they work for. Looks like SOCA is simply turning into a new NCIS and having Regional Crime Squads. Criminal investigation worked much better with NCIS, the NCS and HMRC-albeit it needed some streamlning-but why dismantle something that worked well for this? The answer to America'sFBI? Don't make me laugh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like