back to article Indian government flings ONE HUNDRED BILLION rupees at startups

India's new and tech-savvy government has created a one hundred billion rupee startup fund. Even once converted into US dollars that's still $1.6 billion. And India doesn't see that as the end of the matter: as the budget speech (PDF) by finance minister Arun Jaitley makes plain, the new fund is intended to “act as a catalyst …

1. Ralph B

Here's hoping ...

Here's hoping this hundred million rupees doesn't get used for setting up yet more "Windows Tech Support" boiler rooms. These guys seem to call my home landline 2 or 3 times a day!

1. Why Not?

Re: Here's hoping ...

Get a rape alarm and a towel!

If you don't have the time to play the 'how do you install a windows trojan on Linux' game (you can drag that out for hours), then tell them nicely 1-2 times to go away then place the rape alarm next to the phone cover with towel and pull the pin to set it off.

strangely they seem to have stopped ringing me.

Seriously though the startup fund is great idea (if they can keep it out of the hands of corrupt officials). They will have the same issue as the Chinese that no one will trust their software to not have something unpleasant in it, the Indian government needs to have an effective cybercrime division.

2. bpfh
    Headmaster

Should this title not be...

... One hundred BEEEEELION ?

1. Anonymous IV
      Thumb Down

Re: Should this title not be...

No. Such usage is incredibly infantile. And stupid.

3. Tom 7

Wouldnt they be better off

spending the money on a hi speed railway so the people in Mumbai can get to Delhi for a full English ten minutes faster?

4. Mark 85

So by the time this filters down through the bureaucracy and all the various layers of graft and corruption.. it'll have a "street value" of what? $ US 10?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me or are Indians always announcing stuff but never actually seeing anything to completion. I recall far too many projects but never hearing about them again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like